Progress so far...

waterwezl

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Progress so far...

Got a new plan of attack. I'm using the mat that I have to run down the sides of the stringers and onto the hull about 3-4 inches. I assume this is what ya'll mean by "tabbing in." For some reason it makes inside corners but refuses outside turns.

When that cures I'll cap it with the 1708 the full height of the stringer. I don't need to take it down onto the hull floor.....do I? I also think I'll be using the mat to smooth out the bilge. It's really rough in there....been that way since it left the factory. I want the water flowing out of it smoothly.

Thanks guys.....more pics to come.

Jason

waterwezl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Been gone a while fellas, but I'm back to work again. At this rate I'm not gonna make my April 15th deadline! Not going into details but I'm gonna be hard at it as long as the weather holds out.

The stringers and bulkheads are finally finished and the hull is upside down for sanding and initial prep work. I've got a mess of gouges to and several horizontal stress cracks to repair but tiger hair filler should do the trick quite nicely. I would, however, like to add a keel guard. Is there something that needs to be done to the new finish to ensure proper adhesion?

waterwezl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Terrible news fellas. My dear friend, confidant, fellow boat builder, technical support, go to guy, and a constant source of encouragement passed yesterday morning. Tom was a huge fan of this forum although I never could convince him to post on it. He was a great source of boating information and building expertise and refused to let me get rid of my current project no matter how disgusted I would get.

The world has lost a great man and I hope there's a boat or two in heaven in need of some expert attention.

Thanks Tom. You will be missed.

waterwezl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is a very old thread but I managed to find it and figured I'd keep everything in the same place. I really hadn't realized how long it's been. Kinda depressing to be honest but sometimes life simply gets in the way. Here's where I am to date and have been hard at it recently and will keep the pics and the questions coming until the bitter end. You guys (and gals) have been awesome and I've missed the expert advice so here I am! :)

Shot of the new structure

This is my help

Here's the Volvo after fresh paint

Flipping the hull (furring strips are so sides aren't so flimsy)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome Back!!!! I took the time to read your entire thread so I have an understanding of what you're attempting to do. Looking forward to following along and helping when and where I can. What boat is this?

waterwezl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

More photos.....

First coat of primer going down

Final primer coat..sprayed with black urethane for blocking

Fourth and final coat of paint....

jbcurt00

Staff member

welcome back

it has been awhile

nice glass work, and the 1st mate seems to be keeping an eye on everything.

Nice flip!

waterwezl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Y'all are gonna love this!!! I drug out the VP 275 and OMG!! A crack in the lower unit and the output shaft bearing housing blown out and broken all to bits!!

Got water in it and froze!
Here's the repaired lower with the new housing/shaft and bearings

This is after new paint and a polished screw!

waterwezl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cap reinstalled...Still in primer...Will tape and paint it after im done walking all over it.

Engine and outdrive are finally home..

Cardboard floor

waterwezl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here are the tabs that were suggested in an earlier post. Shape of the boat made this an arduous task.

Finally a real floor and 'glass!

waterwezl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

More to come but sadly they are trapped in my phone and I've gotta let em out. Am currently building bow seating and storage and will post those soon.

pckeen

Commander

Tom would have been proud - the work you are doing looks amazing! Looking forward to seeing the rest of the boat come together!

waterwezl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Got a few shots of the bow seating area uploaded and figured I'd better post them before I get much further along.

waterwezl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well....took a hiatus from the actual building and took a day trip to Clearwater. Look what I found!

Gonna need some severe mods to fit "properly." I've no idea what it came off of but hopefully it'll suit my needs and I won't need to build one from scratch. I need to narrow it and add some height then figure out a way to secure it in place. This is where you I/O guys will be a great help! Any pics of how your engine covers are attached would be a godsend. I picked up some used hardware too but not sure of how it'll be of any help until I see it actually in use.

waterwezl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was also given this today by a friend who is trying to get rid of his old boat.

Anyone have a line on another? I either find one or figure out if lounge seating along the left side is an option. Any thoughts?

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

My project boat is setup with one captains chair and wrap around lounge seating.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

you could probably hit Marine Surplus in Sarasota FL for a nice pair of matching seats

place similar to Don's in Clearwater