Post a pic of your starcraft!

fburke

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Post a pic of your starcraft!

Here my 1984 19.5 foot fiberglass StarCraft with an OMC 3.0 I just got t given to me.

It needs some interior and floor work

It has a no spark issue I am working on right now but it ran last year and he was screwing around with things he shouldn?t have been?

I should have it running soon then I?ll winterize and do the cosmetics over the winter.

This is my first boat so I?ll cut my teeth on it.

Any input or thought would be great!

IMG_0638.jpg

IMG_0639.jpg

IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_2401.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Any input or thought would be great!

STOP! DON'T MOVE!

Before you take another step you ought to do two things:

1. Read a whole bunch on rebuilding fiberglass boats.

2. Read a whole bunch on wrenching on OMC stringer drives.

That way you'll be fully informed. All the best!

barato2

Commander

i think what Jas is trying to diplomatically say there is that there's a reason your friend gave it to you.

if floors are soft, the stringers right underneath them (the longitudinal reinforcements that run the length of the boat and support the motor as well as floor) are probably shot too(water flows downward, and these live in the bilge...), and transom may be as well. this is a big big UGLY job to replace any or all of this stuff on a glass boat.

secondly, run a search on Iboats for the term "white leg of death", which is a common slang name for the OMC stringer-drive drivetrain in that boat. many parts are 100% impossible to find for these and people commonly scrap boats with them due to this. someone does make a kit to adapt a mercruiser outdrive onto one of thse but it's not cheap, and i'm not sure of parts issues on the engine....if it's the GM 3.0 that Murkcruiser also uses, no problem. but if it's an OMC-specific block, look out.

short version: unless you are willing to get into mucho heavy and pricey work, use this one as a donor and sell parts to make the $ for a nice easily restorable tin Starcraft. sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you should be fully informed before you dump any $ into what might be even more of a bottomless hole than most boats. you might be surprised at what you can get out of stripping the boat and selling all the metal bits.

fburke

Seaman Apprentice

STOP! DON'T MOVE!

Before you take another step you ought to do two things:

1. Read a whole bunch on rebuilding fiberglass boats.

2. Read a whole bunch on wrenching on OMC stringer drives.

That way you'll be fully informed. All the best!

thast exactly what I have been doing for the past week...this forum is great and i have been learning a lot.

barato2

Commander

you actually might be able to turn the availability of stringer-drive parts to your benefit if you part it on fleebay....bet there are a lot of folks willing to pay good $ for a part rather than have to scrap their drivetrain

ioema

Cadet

Our first boat bought May 31 2012, one owner, 1974 American 16. We haven't been in the water yet but thanks to this forum I already know enough to know I don't know enough!
74american.jpg

Here she is August 19...we named her America and she has been a joy to the whole family. And the people here on the Starcraft forum continue to be a help in all ways through their posts. We've gone on the lake almost every weekend because I have three days off each week. Piloting a boat is new to all of us and I've taken it slow while trying to be entertaining on the water. I'm slogging through the safe boater stuff and staying on the lake before attempting the three rivers. It is such a new environment with alot to learn to do it right. Again, reading the posts has been a great help with everything from maintenance to removing oxidization to fueling. Anyway, here she is now just prior to a ten day vacation at the lake starting this coming weekend.
america1.jpg
america2.jpg
america3.jpg

trafferty

Seaman Apprentice

Wow Ioema,, that's one sharp looking Starcraft you've got there! That is SWEET!

ioema

Cadet

Thanks! I'm so glad I found the boat. It's a whole new world.

Blacksting

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great lookin ride you got there . doubly nice to see the American , rare breed amoungst all the tinnys out there . i love my V140, you need to splash her , you'll really fall in love w/ her.

ioema

Cadet

thanks Blacksting. I'm getting used to speed, trim and load balance and she's only 16 feet! This has really been a fun summer and more importantly, some members of the family that needed to get out in the air and onto the water have done so. I'm starting to see the differences between tin and fiberglass too and the merits of each. I have my father in law's 12 Super Sport because he's fishing in heaven that I saved from moss and leaves and muck and cleaned her up too. Haven't got her in the water yet but will soon so I guess I'm on tin and glass. Anyway, I wish I would have done this sooner but glad I did when I did.

I just aquired this Starcraft, from cruising the forums here I have narrowed it down to a 1977 22ft Super Sport

Attachments

• IMG00323-20120808-1831.jpg
    IMG00323-20120808-1831.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG00328-20120808-1932.jpg
    IMG00328-20120808-1932.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG00334-20120808-2009.jpg
    IMG00334-20120808-2009.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG00335-20120808-2011.jpg
    IMG00335-20120808-2011.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG00344-20120820-1954.jpg
    IMG00344-20120820-1954.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 14

Muzz71

Cadet

Greetings from Down Under (that's Australia for those that are unsure).

I am new to this boating stuff. I have just purchased this boat a few weeks back. It is my first ever boat at the ripe old age of 40. I have never grown up around the water, hence this is all very exciting. I got my boat license last week and plan to take her out this Sunday with the helf of a more experienced companion.

I would be most appreciative if someone out there could confirm the model of the boat. From browsing many pictures, particularly on this forum, I believe it is a 1976 Starcraft Kingfinsher 14'. Happy to take feedback, especially if I am mistaken.

All the best, and happy boating. Regards,

Muzz

Attachments

• boat4.jpg
    boat4.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 7
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 7
  • boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 6
  • boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 7

Muzz71

Cadet

1977 14' Kingfisher, started with only the hull, built the Mahogany CC, Teak and Holly Floor, Rope Hold, Painted the boat with car enamel, Rhino lined the deck, Repainted and graphics on the 74' 40 hp. Took me a winter, Its a great boat!

That's a really neat fit out. I have just purshased the same boat, but it is not as nice as this one! Good job.

rgreene

Cadet

Muzz,
That is what it looks like, a Kingfisher. Looks to be in great shape also, very nice!

BG

Greetings from Down Under (that's Australia for those that are unsure).

I am new to this boating stuff. I have just purchased this boat a few weeks back. It is my first ever boat at the ripe old age of 40. I have never grown up around the water, hence this is all very exciting. I got my boat license last week and plan to take her out this Sunday with the helf of a more experienced companion.

I would be most appreciative if someone out there could confirm the model of the boat. From browsing many pictures, particularly on this forum, I believe it is a 1976 Starcraft Kingfinsher 14'. Happy to take feedback, especially if I am mistaken.

All the best, and happy boating. Regards,

Muzz

Muzz71

Cadet

Thanks BG. Yeah, it has been very well maintained and has a updated motor (2007 Yamaha 30HP). Thanks for your response and confirmation of the model, really appreciated. Cheers....

Cap'n Jim

Cadet

Manny,
That is one cool video and I think the boat operator enjoyed it more than the camera operator. Sweet looking SC.

manny91979

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Cap'n. That holiday of yours is real nice too. I tried to keep my Jetstar as close to original as possible. Your Holiday actually looks like it is all original.

Cap'n Jim

Cadet

It is, it's like she has been kept in a time capsule. The hull needs to be repainted and the carpet is worn out but, for a 38 year old she is showing her age quite well, I think. Thanks for the compliment. Yours is a sweet one also.