Post a pic of your starcraft!

MontanaAardvark

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Post a pic of your starcraft!

No, not from there, I just love it up there. Been to Montana a few times and I really love it. The Glacier Park area is beyond gorgeous when the first snows start making their way down the mountains. I could almost retire up there, but it's too far from salt water. (Plus there's that whole 6 month winter, and subzero temps thing).

It has been a while (20 years) since I've had a boat, so I need some practice handling this. I'd like to think that I could take it out along the buoy line out of Canaveral, or maybe not too far off the beach after jacks or something, when the weather is nice.

I used to fish with a guy who had a 16' Bonefisher and would take it a couple of miles offshore out of Palm Beach inlet (down there, that's over 100' deep). There's a lot less freeboard in a Hewes Bonefisher than in this boat!

Think I need to get her out this weekend and try out all the new stuff. See if I need to move anything.

Bob

barato2

Commander

very feasible in a 16'. but i wouldn't try Sebastian inlet until you're pretty comfy with your boat handling......that one gets hairy. i watched a 16' trihull flip there once where bad surf met outgoing tide (lived in IHB when i was in jr high and high school)

MontanaAardvark

Seaman Apprentice

very feasible in a 16'. but i wouldn't try Sebastian inlet until you're pretty comfy with your boat handling......that one gets hairy. i watched a 16' trihull flip there once where bad surf met outgoing tide (lived in IHB when i was in jr high and high school)

Yeah, I watched something like a 23 or 25 footer roll really badly, after coming so far out of the water I think only his lower unit was wet. This was in the spring, with the strong wind blowing against the outgoing tide. He didn't roll all the way over, but I think everybody's pants had to be cleaned after that.

rgreene

Cadet

Yep, Montana is great, I have a good friend who lives there.

You will probably not get out much this weekend, not with the weather that is coming in.

barato2 is right, very feasible to fish the channel with a 16', though I have seen it grow to ten foot seas in a southeast wind, but you would be in by the time that happened. Good that you know that you need to know your rig and how to handle it and plan on getting comfortable first.

He is also right about Sebastian, that is not for the faint of heart, especially in a east wind and outgoing tide. Hardly any inlet on the right side is in that condition. Four or five years ago I picked up the crew of a 55' that capsized trying to turn back in Jupiter, completely the captain's fault that he tried to turn around where he did, went beam to the seas at exactly the wrong place, plus twelve or thirteen other things he did wrong at the right time. It was hairy just trying to pick them up, especially with them panicked and trying to swim in ten directions, took a lot of yelling to get them to swim away from the capized boat.

No, not from there, I just love it up there. Been to Montana a few times and I really love it. The Glacier Park area is beyond gorgeous when the first snows start making their way down the mountains. I could almost retire up there, but it's too far from salt water. (Plus there's that whole 6 month winter, and subzero temps thing).

It has been a while (20 years) since I've had a boat, so I need some practice handling this. I'd like to think that I could take it out along the buoy line out of Canaveral, or maybe not too far off the beach after jacks or something, when the weather is nice.

I used to fish with a guy who had a 16' Bonefisher and would take it a couple of miles offshore out of Palm Beach inlet (down there, that's over 100' deep). There's a lot less freeboard in a Hewes Bonefisher than in this boat!

Think I need to get her out this weekend and try out all the new stuff. See if I need to move anything.

Bob

MontanaAardvark

Seaman Apprentice

Yep, Montana is great, I have a good friend who lives there.

You will probably not get out much this weekend, not with the weather that is coming in.

We actually got out this morning, and it was pretty nice. The clouds kept the sun from getting to be too much, and the wind was southerly, getting to about 10 when we went in at about 10. There sure weren't many others taking advantage of it, though.

Just boated a couple of small jack crevalle (C/R) and jumped a couple of ladyfish. Not much, but nice to get out and try some new things out.

It can rain as much as it wants, now that we're safely in.

Bob

rgreene

Cadet

Hey great! We didn't get much rain right at my place, but the thunderstorms were all around us. Ladyfish can be a ball, so can jacks. Jacks are one hard fighting fish!

Seems that I remember live lining baits around the pogie pods this time of year just south of the port off the beach and catch a few tarpon. I had not tried that for a long time, the sharks always got in the way. I need to look in my log, I think it would be something like five or six sharks to every tarpon hit. A real pain in the neck, they rip the gear up, break off or you had to fight them to boat, get the hook out and re-tie a rig on. I am going to have to try that again!

So, do you have everything the way you like it in the boat?

We actually got out this morning, and it was pretty nice. The clouds kept the sun from getting to be too much, and the wind was southerly, getting to about 10 when we went in at about 10. There sure weren't many others taking advantage of it, though.

Just boated a couple of small jack crevalle (C/R) and jumped a couple of ladyfish. Not much, but nice to get out and try some new things out.

It can rain as much as it wants, now that we're safely in.

Bob

MontanaAardvark

Seaman Apprentice

Hey great! We didn't get much rain right at my place, but the thunderstorms were all around us. Ladyfish can be a ball, so can jacks. Jacks are one hard fighting fish!

Seems that I remember live lining baits around the pogie pods this time of year just south of the port off the beach and catch a few tarpon. I had not tried that for a long time, the sharks always got in the way. I need to look in my log, I think it would be something like five or six sharks to every tarpon hit. A real pain in the neck, they rip the gear up, break off or you had to fight them to boat, get the hook out and re-tie a rig on. I am going to have to try that again!

So, do you have everything the way you like it in the boat?

When you were fishing among the tarpon and sharks, did you end up catching the front half of the tarpon? Been there a few times, but more with kings than tarpon. Many years ago, I spent a day off Ft. Pierce at a light SE of the inlet, in a friend's boat. Lots of kingfish in the area but we never caught more than the first third of them. Big barracuda hanging out around the marker would eat the rest. Cuda's create a much cleaner cut than a shark. Then we went barracuda fishing!

I'd be happy to follow the bait pods and get into some 20 or 30 pound jacks.

Anyway, the boat is definitely better. These are the new rod holders:
Boat_New_Int_sm.jpg

Before, I had a single holder on the left side - you can still see where it attached. That holder held three rods, and these will hold six, although that front one on the console is closer than I thought. It will only hold my 4 pound outfit.

The other changes were guide-on poles on the trailer, which helped quite a bit, but I gotta admit I still don't do very well retrieving this boat. I have a thread on the Trailers and Towing forum saying I Have to Admit I Need Help (or something like that). They did make it easier, but I've got to figure out how to handle this without getting my feet wet every time.

All in all, a definite improvement. I have a few things I'd like to fix, more out of being fussy than "need". The only thing it really needs is to get the deck painted.

Although it did suck up about a quart of water while we were fishing - I think. Hate to think there may be waterlogged foam under there.

Bob

rgreene

Cadet

Yeah, 'cudas and sharks can ruin a good fish. Of course 'cudas are good gamefish in their own right! I use a dark red tube trolled fast, catch as many as you want. Th etrick when kingfishing is to lighten the drag and let the king run away from the reef or structure before bringing him boat side. Learned that fishing the SKA tournaments.

That is another thing about aluminum boats, they always pick up water. I completely stripped the 21 bottom and coated it with Gluvit, then painted it, it still picks up water.

The rod holders look good, I haven't finished re-installing mine yet, I will put four across the front of the console and four on the leaning post.

For trailering, I am just guessing, but I bet you put your trailer in too deep, most people do. I put mine with the first rear roller just under the water, the rear of the bunks are just in the water. I pull up to the trailer, have someone watch to make sure the keel is centered on the first roller and power it right up to the winch stand. This keeps the boat centered and held on the trailer. I did this even with my big Sportcraft, worked well, and that boat weighed over 4000lbs. With this boat it works well also, but I have only had it in the water once since rebuild. You might try that and see if it helps.

I did put the teflon slides on the Sportcraft trailer, I don't think I will put them on the trailer I have now, the boat weighs nothing and runs right up with hardly any throttle at all.

When you were fishing among the tarpon and sharks, did you end up catching the front half of the tarpon? Been there a few times, but more with kings than tarpon. Many years ago, I spent a day off Ft. Pierce at a light SE of the inlet, in a friend's boat. Lots of kingfish in the area but we never caught more than the first third of them. Big barracuda hanging out around the marker would eat the rest. Cuda's create a much cleaner cut than a shark. Then we went barracuda fishing!

I'd be happy to follow the bait pods and get into some 20 or 30 pound jacks.

Anyway, the boat is definitely better. These are the new rod holders:
View attachment 162899

Before, I had a single holder on the left side - you can still see where it attached. That holder held three rods, and these will hold six, although that front one on the console is closer than I thought. It will only hold my 4 pound outfit.

The other changes were guide-on poles on the trailer, which helped quite a bit, but I gotta admit I still don't do very well retrieving this boat. I have a thread on the Trailers and Towing forum saying I Have to Admit I Need Help (or something like that). They did make it easier, but I've got to figure out how to handle this without getting my feet wet every time.

All in all, a definite improvement. I have a few things I'd like to fix, more out of being fussy than "need". The only thing it really needs is to get the deck painted.

Although it did suck up about a quart of water while we were fishing - I think. Hate to think there may be waterlogged foam under there.

Bob

rgreene

Cadet

Oh, I forgot, deck painting, I repainted the deck in the 21 with Tuff Coat, I ordered it from Cabela's.

It's a pretty rough finish with the rubber chunks in it, but it sure is tough. Looks okay, absolutely no slip, the jury is still out on how long it will last. I am betting a good long time though. I used a gallon on the 21 and had a little bit left over, they also send you the correct roller to use with it.

Last edited:

MontanaAardvark

Seaman Apprentice

Oh, I forgot, deck painting, I repainted the deck in the 21 with Tuff Coat, I ordered it from Cabela's.

It's a pretty rough finish with the rubber chunks in it, but it sure is tough. Looks okay, absolutely no slip, the jury is still out on how long it will last. I am betting a good long time though. I used a gallon on the 21 and had a little bit left over, they also send you the correct roller to use with it.

Thanks for the tip on the Tuff Coat. I'd kind of like to restore the original colors, but it would a lot of work. The brochure here on iBoats shows it an ivory-ish color - I suppose the same color as the outside (the parts that aren't blue :) ). The PO painted it some sort of brownish/tan color. That's a rough surface - not lumps of rubber, but some sort of texture. That brown is everywhere. Sanding off old paint is about my least favorite thing in the world.

I think it must have been I/O carpeted on the deck. The console is still carpeted - and it's starting to look pretty crappy in places (around the bends).

Bob

rgreene

Cadet

Removing old paint can be a bunch of work. I stripped the bottom hull of mine to bare aluminum with Strip-ease, worked pretty well. It was still a bit of work, but not like sanding. I still had to sand the bare aluminum, put on the Gluvit, and sand that, then put on the first topcoat, AND sand that, then the final coat. All on a 21' hull. I am sanded out!

I don't recommend carpet in salt water, blood and slime get in it and stink to high heaven, even when you wash it good. On the first rebuild, I replaced the deck in mine with fiberglassed marine plywood, factory reject panels from a supplier for truck bodies. I sanded it and painted it with garage floor paint. The paint was still okay after almost 25 years and the deck is in great shape. I just lightly sanded and put on the Tuff Coat, I was just going to repaint with garage floor paint, but it was slippery with blood or slime on it, so I decided to use the Tuff coat.

Thanks for the tip on the Tuff Coat. I'd kind of like to restore the original colors, but it would a lot of work. The brochure here on iBoats shows it an ivory-ish color - I suppose the same color as the outside (the parts that aren't blue :) ). The PO painted it some sort of brownish/tan color. That's a rough surface - not lumps of rubber, but some sort of texture. That brown is everywhere. Sanding off old paint is about my least favorite thing in the world.

I think it must have been I/O carpeted on the deck. The console is still carpeted - and it's starting to look pretty crappy in places (around the bends).

Bob

Captom

Cadet

Hi all,
Figured this was a good way to introduce mself with a picture of a new to me 19 Superfisherman. Boat is a 1996 with a 115hp Mariner, remote troller. Gettin ready to install some downriggers for trolling.
5N35L65M13kc3J43H9c7i1d7304b622f61d25.jpg

5Ga5K55J53E53Ld3Mac7if69c02188530142f.jpg

5L15Ec5F43E43Ff3J4c7i236fa0a8eb37130d.jpg

trafferty

Seaman Apprentice

Nice! I really like that layout with the rear deck.

tami4497

Cadet

I just purchased a 1959 Starcraft boat for some kansas fishing with the kids. Looks like a small tank of a boat. I LOVE it. I was just doing a little research on it to get some idea of what it used to look like. Looks like the possiblities are endless here as to personalizing it to fit my needs. Thanks for all the ideas you'v given me. Not sure if I'll do a total restore on it but I am going to fix 'er up! Here's a picture of it. I haven't taken any myself, this one was from the gentleman I purchased her from. Does anyone know which style this boat is? Is it a runabout or a ski champ? I couldn't really figure that part out. Thanks ahead of time for any info you might have. Not too much out there for 1959 starcrafts. Tami

imagejpeg_2.jpg

Captom

Cadet

Nice! I really like that layout with the rear deck.

I got to fish out of a 17 Superfishermen and it sold me on the StarCraft. The 19 gives me even more fishing room but the layout is about the same. The boat is rock steady at rest and gives a very impressive ride. Looking forward to fishing Lake Jocassee, Keowee, Hartwell, and Russell. I have been in Florida and the lake fishing is very different then my inshore flats and gulf fishing.

barato2

Commander

Captom...nice boat, start a thread and post some more pix. we love fish pix if you don't have any resto pix

Tami--have you checked the brochures at the top of this forum? many SC boats didn't change much from one year to the next so you might find that a 60 or 61 brochure had your boat. also check the tin section at fiberglassics.com....they're the experts on ID of old boats. to nail it down, yuou'll probably need measurements for your boat....length, transom width and height, etc.

catfishr1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Howdy CAPTOM : Fabulous looking Starcraft, great outboard too. Welcome aboard. I would like to k.now how fast she will go?

rgreene

Cadet

I bet it moves pretty good, I have 115 Johnson on my 21 Mariner, it will run 42mph at 5300rpm, 19p prop with the bimini top up and three people on board.

Howdy CAPTOM : Fabulous looking Starcraft, great outboard too. Welcome aboard. I would like to k.now how fast she will go?