Over Heating and Confused..

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: Over Heating and Confused..

take the boat out for a run then throttle it back to neutral and pop the hatch and check and post your temps again.

What the temps are on the garden hose are essentially meaningless.

GunHoInc

Seaman

I kind of figured the hose wasn't going to be a great test, as the water flow is pretty low on the hose, and I'm not running it hard enough. I'll post up more data as soon as I can put it in the water again.

dAvE

GunHoInc

Seaman

Today's test results are in:

Checked the motor with the IR Temp gun, after about 5 miles of running.

Engine temp gauge: 160
Motor at sending unit: 130

L Exhaust manifold: 150 R Manifold: 106
L Riser: 190 R Riser: 169
L Exhaust Boot: 126 R Boot: 104

Am I right to think that the L Riser may need to be replaced? Or are these temps acceptable? At one point the left riser hit 206, but that was in a long no wake zone.

dAvE :cool:

studdy05

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have an active thread that essentially chases this one. The only major difference in our stories is that mine is happening on an older OMC 5.7 L stringer 800 and is running a touch hotter that yours.

Beat the water pump issue to death, myself. Besides next replacing the manifold/riser on mine, my thoughts also turn to head gasket and timing that is too advanced. Just thought I would share. Since yours is a new engine, these probably are not your over heat issue, but are worth considering if and only if you otherwise run out of ideas.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

engine temps are good,
right manifold temp is good,
left is marginal... on the hot side.
both risers are way to hot.

have you pulled them off yet and had a good look at the inlet and outlet ports?

GunHoInc

Seaman

When I swapped the gaskets it didn't look inside. Should have pulled them completly off and looked. Thats what I will do next.

dAvE

JustJason

Vice Admiral

yes, pull both the risers and take a few pictures of the underside ports that the gaskets are sealing and also take a few pictures of the discharge outlet on the riser.
Then just for giggles take a pic or 2 of each manifold. where the gasket goes.

GunHoInc

Seaman

I also noticed when I was flushing the motor that there was only about half the water flow coming out of the left side along with steam. I'm guessing that this is from some sort of blockage in the the left riser limiting the water flow!?..

And could this be causing the temps to rise in the other parts of the motor as well like the manifolds?

I'll probably start on this project in a week or two as I don't plan on taking the boat out for awhile. I'll take alot of pics and post them up.

dAvE

GunHoInc

Seaman

Had some time today and pulled the left riser.
Is there supposed to be a "Flapper" on the exhaust end? Because there wasn't one. And I'm pretty sure the right side isn't going to have one either.

Here are the pics none the less.
Manifold:
IMG_0244.jpg

Riser:
IMG_0245.jpg

Manifold:
IMG_0249.jpg

Riser:
IMG_0251.jpg

Riser:
IMG_0247.jpg

Also searched the web and came up with this Manifold / Riser Kit for $373.34.
http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=115921F

dAvE :cool:

studdy05

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Since we are tracking the same symptoms at the same time on two different threads with the same engine, just thought I would tell you I bought that set this morning myself from a different vendor but they were GLM manifolds and risers. Shipping costs were about $100 but it will be here by the weekend. I hope that is my issue.

This is a common enough thread but no one ever seems to finish it off with what they did to fix it. So if and when you nail it, post it so we will know.

Those pics you posted looked fairly clean to my untrained eye. Didn't see just a ton of scale, but who knows what is lurking deeper in the holes?

captmello

Captain

Those mainfolds look pretty good. The flapper is in the top of the Y-pipe at the other end of the rubber exhaust hose from your riser. If one has fallen off, it could be stuck in the pipe restricting the flow.

With the risers off, you should check for the flappers.

Nice photos BTW.

GunHoInc

Seaman

The ones I pulled off are GLM, and Im pretty sure the new kit is also GLM. I poked, scraped, and probed and couldn't find much more than some surface rust. The problem may be deeper into the manifolds. I'm still confused as to where the flappers are if I'm supposed to have them!?.

dAvE

GunHoInc

Seaman

Those mainfolds look pretty good. The flapper is in the top of the Y-pipe at the other end of the rubber exhaust hose from your riser. If one has fallen off, it could be stuck in the pipe restricting the flow.

With the risers off, you should check for the flappers.

Nice photos BTW.

Thanks! Photo's curtisey of iPhone. ;)

Ill try and find the flappers tomarow.

Cptkid570

Ensign

As they said.. the flapper is on top of you Y-pipe.. each side has one. They can fall off and fall down into the y-pipe...

GunHoInc

Seaman

I'm also noticing that the two water ports on the exhaust manifold shown below are dry. These were the ones originally Blocked off by the old 2 slot gaskets. The Riser originally was cooled through the top at that time. The exhaust could be corroded and blocking the passage ways!?..

Going to check the flappers today.

Exhaust.jpg

dAvE:cool:

GunHoInc

Seaman

Well the Flappers are there. They seem fine. I'm leaning to the exhaust manifolds being clogged now.

Any suggestions?

dAvE

GunHoInc

Seaman

Anyone?

Beuller?

Beuller?

Beuller?

Wow..
I went out for Pizza and beer and got dumped...

dAvE :eek:

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Im going to be lazy here, lol. very long thread to read it all. How old are the manifolds and risers. Being they are GLM they have been already replaced but do you know when? Also im assuming you are in salt water. If they have any age to them might not be a bad idea to swap them out. I had same situation with my old boat one riser 50-60 degrees hotter than the other but couldnt see any blockage. Installed new glm kit and bothh risers and exhaust were within 10 degrees of each other after that. Just my thoughts.

captmello

Captain

As an amature shadetree type I would test a couple of other things before spending all that money. I might try the bubble test. on the hoses from the thermo to the mani's. Run some clear hoses. This will tell you if your getting air in the system. It must be done on the water however, not muffs.

Have those manifolds been in salt water much? They really look clean, doesn't mean they aren't blocked by something, but they aren't corroded.

GunHoInc

Seaman

I honestly have no ideah how old the manifolds and risers are. I picked and probed the riser but it seemed clear. The only thing I notice on the exhaust manifold is the 2 dry ports. I'll try the clear hoses and see if it's getting air. If that's ok then off to get new manifolds.

Thanks for chiming in!

dAve :rolleyes: