Over Heating and Confused..

GunHoInc

Seaman
Re: Over Heating and Confused..

What was replaced when they did your impeller in the drive? I've seen more than one gen I alpha or pre that had this type of problem because the lower housing was not changed on an impeller job when it was damaged. The plastic on the lower hsg directly around the shaft melts slightly and has a rolled over looking lip into the water passage. If this surface is not perfect looking with no "lip" around it it won't seal well with the gasket between it and and the SS plate under the impeller.

I can't count the number of problems like this I've seen from a "bad" impeller job. I've seen it from customers, other shops, and even guys at my shop.
Just because it's already been changed doesn't mean it was done correctly.

James

Right now, after I determine if I have the right gaskets or not. I'm testing it tomarow, and checking the temps with a laser temp gun. If there's still a problem then I think all that could be left is the empeller. Yes when they put a new one on they didn't change the housing. This is because, when I bought the boat, the seller gave me an empeller kit that didn't have the housing. But if I have to go through it again, I'm buying a complete kit.

So by the pick above, do I have the correct gaskets??

dAvE

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You have the correct gaskets installed for that setup.

GunHoInc

Seaman

Thank you!

I'll let you know how it runs tomarow.

Thanks again, dAvE

mrflip2

Seaman Apprentice

I know that this thread is about overheating. have you checked the timing? I had mine set wrong one time ran great but the headers were cherry red after driving. Not a nice thing to see in a boat. Actually not the headers the runner from head to log style about 1" long. Reset the timing and no overheating problems.:) ran for 2 hours at 4200 rpm nice and cool ran out of gas but that is the dumbass in me for not fixing the gauge. anyway good luck

GunHoInc

Seaman

The timing is something I should double check. I know the shop owner said one thing and the mechanic said it should be different. So I'm not sure what it's set at.

At this point it seems to be running better. Even though the risers feel hot to the touch. They are running about the same temp as the motor. 170 was the hottest the riser got, and that was after running WOT for awhile.

I'm going to test them more, and keep a close eye on the temps. Next week I'm going to Anclote Key for the day. I have a buddy that lives close by there so if it does get too hot I can always dock it at his house for a cool down.

Thanks again for everyones help!
dAvE