Over Heating and Confused..

GunHoInc

Seaman
Re: Over Heating and Confused..

Actually today when I changed the water pump I swapped the old water neck back on, as it looked fine and I liked the "Look" better. No biggie. I work nights, so turning wrenches to put the new style back on during the day isn't a problem. And as apposed to pulling the Alpha 1 and going through it. The Riser gaskets and water neck are not only cheaper, but easier for me to work on.

That's tomarrow's project.

The tech at the second shop I talked to said the old style water necks have too many chambers inside them and are prone to failure. That's why it's recommended to swap for this newer style eliminateing the riser hoses, and drawing more water flow through the exhaust manifold. He said if I bring it in, this is where he would start first before the Alpha drive. So even though I have yet to see a motor with this setup. I got two shops telling me this is the direction to go. So I guess it's hopefully going to fix my "issues"..;)

dAvE :redface:

GunHoInc

Seaman

I found this picture here on iBoats.com. Seems to be the same setup!?.

1997 Sea Ray 5.7.
199757-1.jpg

dAvE :cool:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sounds to me like all you are doing at this point is changing a bunch of things at a time, have a minor problem and change a whole bunch of other things before ever figuring out what the problem is.
The way you are bouncing around, who knows what you end up with. Changing the circulation pump was a waste of money and time.
Now you put the old cooling system back together and who knows what riser gaskets you will use with what.
You need to slow down and check one thing at a time till you find the problem.
So you found a picture of another engine. What help is that??????

GunHoInc

Seaman

I'm gonna have to think about this one for a while. Something is missing here. (See Pic Above. It just verifies the way it's supposed to go)

What about the raw water pump and impeller has it been checked since the hoses were turned around to the right spots?. (Replaced old water pump to be safe)

What about the thermostat in the old system, did it work? (Yes)

The old system worked for many years, why not now? (That's what I said, and why I put it back that way)

Just tell me what do you think I should do, as the advice on the board is 50% questions and 50% suggestions.

I didn't like the idea of swapping the thermostat houseings, but I got 2 shops here telling me that's the issue. I already have the new houseing so I might as well put it back on and change the riser gaskets and see if that solves the problem.

As for the water pump. It was used. And in the other thread you said I should have had a new one put on when I got the new motor, so I did, just to ease my mind that the water pump is ok. The impeller was done when they did my motor last week.

Turning wrenches on the motor is cheaper and easier for me to do than taking the whole boat to a shop and have them do the outdrive. The last Tech I spoke to on the phone said he would start with the water neck first as opposed to the outdrive if he were to do it.

dAvE

Don S

The problem is, you are doing what everyone says at the same time. You have no clue as to what works and what doesn't.

When you change a bunch of things, you have no idea what worked and what didn't.

Pick someone to listen to and stick with it till you get the problem solved. Don't just bounce around in a million directions at a time.

GunHoInc

Seaman

Sounds like I lack patience don't it!?... LOL

Honestly, I don't. I'm a gotta do it right now kinda guy..

Ok. I'm going to put the new water neck back on and change the riser gaskets to the recommended ones for that setup. (Nothing else except for beer after that)

Then hopefully I can test it out this weekend at full throttle and see what happens. I'll post up next week when I have the results of the test run.

Thanks for loaning me your patience!

dAvE :rolleyes:

Don S

Sounds like I lack patience don't it!?... LOL
Honestly, I don't. I'm a gotta do it right now kinda guy..

Might as well go out behind the house and beat yourself with a stick. You get the same results. Lot of pain, and nothing to help the overheat problem on the boat.

Ok. I'm going to put the new water neck back on and change the riser gaskets to the recommended ones for that setup.

When you do get to your test run, might even want to find one of those IR temp guns and actually measure the temps of the engine at the temp sender, and the risers and manifolds. Numbers are better than just the work hot.

PS: Read the blue part of my signature. v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v

GunHoInc

Seaman

Now you know how I ended up buying a boat with a blown motor.

dAvE ;)

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

GunHoInc
In MY opinion you should start from scratch and use the process of elimination insted of the process of addition. Remember the advice you get here is sound,free and always there for the asking. If that motor was just rebuilt the first place I would start is the guy who performed the rebuild.

GunHoInc

Seaman

The motor wasn't rebuilt. It was brand new from Mercruiser. Minus the risers, exhaust manifolds, and water pump.

dAvE

Cptkid570

Ensign

I'm just wondering, but I believe the reason why everyone is saying to look at the riser gasket is because the gasket blocks off some of the water flow in 2 of the holes and allows it in 2 of them? Maybe the wrong 2 holes are blocked off?

This is from the V6 motor, but I'd imagine the cooling system is the same..
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/18/18A6R2.PDF

Just trying to help clarify for Gun.

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

J

I didn't like the idea of swapping the thermostat houseings, but I got 2 shops here telling me that's the issue. I already have the new houseing so I might as well put it back on and change the riser gaskets and see if that solves the problem.

I think either of the thermostat housings can work, I think the key is to make sure you have the correct flow.

Reading the Bulletin Don S indicated http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Bullet/99/99_10.pdf

With the New housing you have what is described in 4A, with the old being 4B.

The problem is, if you switched out to the new housing, and did not replace the gasket you will overheat the engine (new housing has no restriction, old with the hoses uses the restriction gasket - with restriction on fore and aft holes) You may think nothing has improved, but in fact the problem has moved, with the same result.

If you don't have the flow control balls in place it maybe possible you are also getting wrong flow.

I think the best advise is to re-state your current setup, so everyone can understand, and then we can help.

Good luck

ziggy

Admiral

to me it sounds like either putting together the thermostat or the risers put together wrong. myself. i'd go by the service manual and do it that way. along with dons' service bullitin...

on a simpler note... i don't suppose the water hose from the bellhousing to the gimble housing is kinked?

there's still the possibility of the water pocket cover too...

GunHoInc

Seaman

My setup now is like the diagram below. I just replaced the riser gaskets P/N 27-863726 as in the Service Bulletin. It runs cooler on the garden hose. Never went above 160. I'm hopefully going to drop it in the water and take it for a test run tomarrow and I'll let you know how it runs, and we can go from there.

CoolingSystem.jpg

Funny West Marine sent me back to the shop that installed my motor for the Gaskets. Seems they have a bigger Parts Department. The shop owner didn't know about the Service Bulletin but the Correct gaskets showed up on his Computer for this setup.

dAvE

Cptkid570

Ensign

Are there any shops in the Tampa area that you particularly like? I'm in Tampa area too

GunHoInc

Seaman

I'm in Tampa.

Everyone I've spoke to seems to recomend the people that did my Boat engine replacement and that's Riverside Marine on N. Florida. I've heard good things about Pipers Marine in Town and Country too.

Please bear in mind, I don't think Riverside is at fault with my heating problem, as they only did the work that I asked them to do. My only gripe is; is that they took longer to get the motor in than I think it should have. They have alot of boats to work on and they do Trade shows as well, so that kinda sets them behind.

dAvE

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer

LOL is it just me or the diagram showing wrong riser gasket? It is showing the restricted gasket.

GunHoInc

Seaman

LOL is it just me or the diagram showing wrong riser gasket? It is showing the restricted gasket.

Yeah, That diagram is for a V-6. I used the 4 sloted that the Service Bulletin called for.

davE :cool:

GunHoInc

Seaman

Hope this info helps.

First off Somehow my Anode broke off the other day. I Must have hit something in the water and didn't notice it till this morning. I Got a new one, just gotta get the right wrench.

Took the boat out for a test spin. The newer setup does make it run cooler on the gauge. The gauge read about 160 cruising, and wide open about 180. But at that point the gauge bounced around between 170 and 190. It never reached the 220 mark like it did last time.

The risers "felt" hot. And in my opinion the left side felt hotter than the right side. Knowing that the only way to get a "REAL" reading I went back home and bought a laser temp gauge. (Wish I would have found one yesterday)

At home on the garden hose I set the throttle to 1500 rpms and let it run for a few min.

Temp gauge said: 160
The Laser said the block was: 145
I have a 140 thermostat.

L manifold: 136
R manifold: 111

L riser: 138
R riser: 114

L exhaust boot: 122
R exhaust boot: 115

Averaging about a 20 degree difference from the left side to the right side.

Is it possible that I have a clogged left riser?

And are the riser temps at the danger point?

dAvE

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Those numbers look good to me one riser will always be hotter than the other due to the way the water flows. One thing you can do on a test run now that you have the laser is check actual temp at the sender. That will tell you if your guage is off.