Out to lunch Gear Oil Prices

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The Premium is for 75 hp & under; the High Performance is for over 75 hp. I have used the High Performance gear oil in my Cobra for many years with good results. Local price is about $17/gallon. Used to be $11-13 or so.
Pennzoil also makes a marine gear lube for lower units I’d check if that’s available where you are….

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Eating a sammich thinking my Amsoil marine gear oil at $12 a qt was a great buy

stopngo

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Eating a sammich thinking my Amsoil marine gear oil at $12 a qt was a great buy
Exactly what you are saying here is what causes me to believe that something is rotten in Denmark.
In the world of marketing it is legal to make labels and claims on all kinds of miracles that are impossible to prove or disprove.Mecanic in a bottle for one.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Exactly what you are saying here is what causes me to believe that something is rotten in Denmark.
In the world of marketing it is legal to make labels and claims on all kinds of miracles that are impossible to prove or disprove.Mecanic in a bottle for one.
What is to disprove. Marine gear oil will absorb up to 15% water (formulation dependent). I bought a case last year. Prices went up in past 12 months. I would never use non-marine gear oil in a lower unit.

stopngo

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well. Walmart in the USA sells their supertech gear oil in both marine and regular 80w90. The price is not much different but they are different products. Is a few cents worth the chance to me? Nah..For sure regular gear oil will mix with water. That much I know from experience. But I haven’t left it In long enough to see if it stays mixed

However I do grab the regular quicksilver from Walmart for mine. It meets the Suzuki specifications for warranty
"But they are different products"
If you take claims on labels as gospel yes.
You will also pay at least double the price for R TV silicon or anything that is labeled gasket Maker whether red gray or black
when you can buy the clear silicon for half price.It has the same oil resistant and temperature properties as the RTV snake oil stuff

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, I used the Wallyworld stuff in my gearcases for years. I bought a gallon of synthetic blend gear oil on Amazon last year, for $30, just so I would have it on hand.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I checked on the Pennzoil Marine & it doesn’t look like they have it on their website. Just gear oils which are probably fine.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
You will also pay at least double the price for R TV silicon or anything that is labeled gasket Maker whether red gray or black
when you can buy the clear silicon for half price.It has the same oil resistant and temperature properties as the RTV snake oil stuff
There are 29 different formulations of RTV sealants used in the automotive world depending on application, method of dispensing, temperature, and fluids.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Numerous gear oils with the marine specs on the market without paying for brand name, just check the specs on the container. In my area (Ohio) the walmart products are made by Valvoline, have used the "supertech" full synthetic gear lube 75w140 for years, many years, price is far less than brandname but meets all specs and reguirements by Mercury, OMC and others. So dies the Pennzoil but at a higher price. In case no one noticed....look around....everything has jumped up in price...nothing new there !!

stopngo

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Gee, I used the Wallyworld stuff in my gearcases for years. I bought a gallon of synthetic blend gear oil on Amazon last year, for $30, just so I would have it on hand.
Wise move on your part. I don't think you will be able to buy it for that price again.

stopngo

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What is to disprove. Marine gear oil will absorb up to 15% water (formulation dependent). I bought a case last year. Prices went up in past 12 months. I would never use non-marine gear oil in a lower unit.
Does it actually say that it will absorb up to 15% water? I have never been able to Google information as detailed as that.

stopngo

Petty Officer 3rd Class
There are 29 different formulations of RTV sealants used in the automotive world depending on application, method of dispensing, temperature, and fluids.
I only use one the clear stuff And it is good for all except gasoline of course which none of them work on. The clear stuff even withstands the temperature of a woodstove when used for the door gaskets.Now that is Hhaawwwwt.
I have the opinion that all 29 of the variations are the same stuff.

stopngo

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Numerous gear oils with the marine specs on the market without paying for brand name, just check the specs on the container. In my area (Ohio) the walmart products are made by Valvoline, have used the "supertech" full synthetic gear lube 75w140 for years, many years, price is far less than brandname but meets all specs and reguirements by Mercury, OMC and others. So dies the Pennzoil but at a higher price. In case no one noticed....look around....everything has jumped up in price...nothing new there !!
I wish I lived where you live because around here. The only stuff that is marine approved or marked marine is either quicksilver or Royal purple. All the others say nothing about marine other than 80/90 weight But do say high performance.🤔

matt167

Rear Admiral
"But they are different products"
If you take claims on labels as gospel yes.
i think you should consider looking up what you are saying… if you look at the safety data sheets for pretty much anything. You will find exactly what they are made of.. yes marine gear lube contains emulsifiers. And certainly there are different RTVs. Not only is that verifiable, but there are also adhesive RTVs which are entirely not just RTV….. RTV means room temp vulcanization. Clear silicone is not an RTV product… Google will find the answers just looking for SDS for whatever you want. I’m on a phone so linking anything is difficult

Last edited:

stopngo

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i think you should consider looking up what you are saying… if you look at the safety data sheets for pretty much anything. You will find exactly what they are made of.. yes marine gear lube contains emulsifiers. And certainly there are different RTVs. Not only is that verifiable, but there are also adhesive RTVs which are entirely not just RTV….. RTV means room temp vulcanization. Clear silicone is not an RTV product… Google will find the answers just looking for SDS for whatever you want. I’m on a phone so linking anything is difficult
"Clear Silicone is not an RTV product"
If R TV stands for room temperature vulcanisation as you State then I would think it is an R TV product. It vulcanizes beautifully at room temperature.

matt167

Rear Admiral
"Clear Silicone is not an RTV product"
If R TV stands for room temperature vulcanisation as you State then I would think it is an R TV product. It vulcanizes beautifully at room temperature.
https://www.sashco.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/LXLClearSqueezeTubeLowerVOC_SDS.pdf. This is for Lexel which is a great all around the house silicone sealer

And one for black RTV https://www.permatex.com/wp-content/uploads/sds/81158.pdf

Not the same thing.. and Orange is rated for fuel use, but is not actually an RTV silicone product. It’s urethane instead

Clear RTV could possibly substitute blue for a water pump or something like that

stopngo

Petty Officer 3rd Class
https://www.sashco.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/LXLClearSqueezeTubeLowerVOC_SDS.pdf. This is for Lexel which is a great all around the house silicone sealer

And one for black RTV https://www.permatex.com/wp-content/uploads/sds/81158.pdf

Not the same thing.. and Orange is rated for fuel use, but is not actually an RTV silicone product. It’s urethane instead

Clear RTV could possibly substitute blue for a water pump or something like that
I use clear for you name it.....waterpump...oil pan......everything except gasoline

airshot

Rear Admiral
I wish I lived where you live because around here. The only stuff that is marine approved or marked marine is either quicksilver or Royal purple. All the others say nothing about marine other than 80/90 weight But do say high performance.🤔
Look in the back of the container in the small print, they say meets or exceeds all requirements of marine industry for Mercury, Omc etc or something of that nature. Valvoline, Pennzoil, Supertech, Quicksilver all say that on the containers at my local Walleyworld...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Does it actually say that it will absorb up to 15% water? I have never been able to Google information as detailed as that.

Here is a run down on the ASTM testing protocols related to gear oil. ASTM D1401 and D2711 are applicable to this conversation