Out to lunch Gear Oil Prices

stopngo

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I ain't paying $60 bucks CDN for 1 litre of gear oil.
It has been oft repeated that marine gear oil handles water better than automotive gear oil but not one shred of explanation or evidence offered no matter how much googling.
They keep citing vague explanations of emulsifiers . ALL AUTOMOTIVE OILS whether gear oil or standard motor oil will emulsify when contaminated with water and always have.
I DONT BUY IT......I'm not paying $60 CDN for 1 litre of Quicksilver.Or other marine designated oil until I hear something sensible.OHHH and then there is another 7 bucks tax.😫
Opinions?????

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, what does wallyworld in your area want for it? Here in New Jersey, they charge $6.96 for a quart.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Where in Canada are you located? I'm in Canada and can get Yamaha gear oil at the dealer for less then $20!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Gee, what does wallyworld in your area want for it? Here in New Jersey, they charge $6.96 for a quart.
When was the last time you checked?
I was floored when motor oil (15-40) for the tractor was $8 a quart when I changed the oil last week

Last edited:

matt167

Captain
I spent nearly $6000 on my brand new Suzuki DF25A. It needs a gear lube change once per year.. $60 isn’t going to break the bank. I put regular gear oil in a ‘66 Super Seahorse 40 when I knew it leaked, and changed it every time it went in the barrel

mr 88

Commander
Don't buy the " marine " oil , nothing but snake oil sales pitch . Gears are gears and any 90 Wt will work, probably comes from the same refinery , assembly line as the " Mercruiser " oil to begin with.

Alumarine

Captain
I ain't paying $60 bucks CDN for 1 litre of gear oil.
It has been oft repeated that marine gear oil handles water better than automotive gear oil but not one shred of explanation or evidence offered no matter how much googling.
They keep citing vague explanations of emulsifiers . ALL AUTOMOTIVE OILS whether gear oil or standard motor oil will emulsify when contaminated with water and always have.
I DONT BUY IT......I'm not paying $60 CDN for 1 litre of Quicksilver.Or other marine designated oil until I hear something sensible.OHHH and then there is another 7 bucks tax.😫
Opinions?????
CTC has Quicksilver Premium if that's what you're looking for, not sure what you're finding for 60?

Even non marine synthetic gear oil is pricey now.

Last edited:

stopngo

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just found some Quicksilver for 30 bucks a quart.Amazon is out to lunch x2

The last one is Walmart USA .com so ya your right and we are getting ripped off.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231125_053256_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231125_053256_Chrome.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20231125_052823_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231125_052823_Chrome.jpg
    480.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20231125_052520_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231125_052520_Chrome.jpg
    380 KB · Views: 6

stopngo

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I spent nearly $6000 on my brand new Suzuki DF25A. It needs a gear lube change once per year.. $60 isn’t going to break the bank. I put regular gear oil in a ‘66 Super Seahorse 40 when I knew it leaked, and changed it every time it went in the barrel
The expense of the motor is exactly the reason why they think they can engage in this type of price gouging but I don't believe the snake oil pitch.

Simoniz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Don't buy the " marine " oil , nothing but snake oil sales pitch . Gears are gears and any 90 Wt will work, probably comes from the same refinery , assembly line as the " Mercruiser " oil to begin with.
Im inclined to agree, but what's the difference then between Quicksilver Premium and High Performance Gear Lube?
How about EP additives?

matt167

Captain
The expense of the motor is exactly the reason why they think they can engage in this type of price gouging but I don't believe the snake oil pitch.
Well. Walmart in the USA sells their supertech gear oil in both marine and regular 80w90. The price is not much different but they are different products. Is a few cents worth the chance to me? Nah..For sure regular gear oil will mix with water. That much I know from experience. But I haven’t left it In long enough to see if it stays mixed

However I do grab the regular quicksilver from Walmart for mine. It meets the Suzuki specifications for warranty

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, I checked the wallyworld gear oil a few hours ago, after I read post #1.