Out to lunch Gear Oil Prices

airshot

Rear Admiral
I use clear for you name it.....waterpump...oil pan......everything except gasoline
I always buy the appropriate product for the job at hand, the cost means very little when compared to the replacement cost or cost of having to do it over !! Learned that lesson early on in my 73 years !!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, If you dislike the price of your favorite gear oil, give Wallyworld the $6.96 for the SuperTech marine gear oil and move on. It will work just fine.

stopngo

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I always buy the appropriate product for the job at hand, the cost means very little when compared to the replacement cost or cost of having to do it over !! Learned that lesson early on in my 73 years !!
😊 I'm 76 but haven't learned yet.🙂

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, better to change it too often, than not often enough. After each season is a good interval.

I asked a friend of mine when he last changed the gear oil in his merc 850. His reply was "What gear oil?". We came home in reverse that day, as forward wouldn't engage. That gearcase had many extra moving parts, I found out later.

If you have water leaking into the gearcase, and do not change it before freezing conditions, you will wish you had. Leaks can happen anytime. So, do you feel lucky punk?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A lot of good gear oil is thrown out !----If no water is present at the lower plug then just leave the gear oil in.-----Reseal gearcase if water gets in or gearcase is 15 years old.

airshot

Rear Admiral
A lot of good gear oil is thrown out !----If no water is present at the lower plug then just leave the gear oil in.-----Reseal gearcase if water gets in or gearcase is 15 years old.
Probably very true, but as I said earlier, saving a few dollars is not worth the gamble to me !!!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
One person complains about the price and the next person will say ---" oil is cheap "----Gear cases are sealed , if no water gets in the oil does not need to be changed every 100 hrs.------Oil is good for many seasons !!!

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
One person complains about the price and the next person will say ---" oil is cheap "----Gear cases are sealed , if no water gets in the oil does not need to be changed every 100 hrs.------Oil is good for many seasons !!!
But how do you know there us no water intrusion unless you drain it? Do you just pump it back in?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Water will be at the bottom screw.----If no water shows there then there is no need to drain it every year.-----Saves you some beer tokens.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I only use one the clear stuff And it is good for all except gasoline of course which none of them work on. The clear stuff even withstands the temperature of a woodstove when used for the door gaskets.Now that is Hhaawwwwt.
I have the opinion that all 29 of the variations are the same stuff.
This isn’t a silicone thread. If you want to have a discussion about that, start a new thread.

stopngo

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just to put things in proper perspective. I did not specifically complain about $30 a litre but when Amazon tries to suck me in for $61 a litre a post on here is warranted.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231124_233451_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20231124_233451_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    434.6 KB · Views: 4

stopngo

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Water will be at the bottom screw.----If no water shows there then there is no need to drain it every year.-----Saves you some beer tokens.
True but only if the motor has not run recently.......if yes it will be a milky Grey emulsion top to bottom consistently

stopngo

Petty Officer 3rd Class
But how do you know there us no water intrusion unless you drain it? Do you just pump it back in?
No you do not need to take the bottom plug out.
You run the motor in a barrel for 5 minutes or so , And if there is any water in there the entire oil will be milky top to bottom. Then take out the top breather screw only and take a thin piece of wire bend it at right angles and work it in through the hole down about an inch or so. Pull The Wire out and have a peek. What color is it?
Alternatively if the motor has been sitting idle for considerable time and the water is at the bottom then simply loosen the bottom plug without removing and any water will leak out through the threads and re tighten plug.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
So if the first few drops of oil to come out are clear then you can assume you are good?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
So if the first few drops of oil to come out are clear then you can assume you are good?
Only if you use clear, very low viscosity oil.

I let the lower unit sit for a day or two before checking to allow any water to settle to the bottom then crack the plug.

If I get water I drain. If not, it lives to see a second season. Change second season on the 100 hour requirement

Reactions: KJM