Out to lunch Gear Oil Prices

matt167

Captain
Amazon has a lot of tools that Harbor Freight carries as well just cheaper. I recently bought a brake disc kit as my old kit only had a standard LH adapter ( for turning in rear Ford calipers ). The Icon kit is $60 and the Amazon kit with the same parts and magnetic adapters was $23.

Little off topic. Just saying. And Amazon is getting their own oil in now as well

The Force power

Commander
Amazon has a lot of tools that Harbor Freight carries as well just cheaper. I recently bought a brake disc kit as my old kit only had a standard LH adapter ( for turning in rear Ford calipers ). The Icon kit is $60 and the Amazon kit with the same parts and magnetic adapters was $23.

Little off topic. Just saying. And Amazon is getting their own oil in now as well
Brake-shoes / drums /rotors/pads all delivered to your door, no more trips standing in line on a Saturday morning :D

matt167

Captain
Brake-shoes / drums /rotors/pads all delivered to your door, no more trips standing in line on a Saturday morning :D
I use Rock auto for car parts themselves. Oil filters for my little car are $1.50 each and the trucks are in the $3 range. My recent full brake job on my truck was $250 with good quality stuff. Woulda been $500 at the parts store

airshot

Rear Admiral
The problem with Amazon is....when you have a problem or question and need expertise. Some guy from India that has no idea what a boat is will answer your questions !! I prefer to pay a little more and use my local marine dealer, the valuable advice and expertise is far more valuable to me than saving a few bucks on a quart of oil. For the 20 years I have been going there, I have saved more than I can count, the parts manager was a marine mechanic for 35 years, so I get the best parts and service advice anyone could ask for, and honestly there prices are only a couple bucks higher than Walley World...

The Force power

Commander
I use Rock auto for car parts themselves. Oil filters for my little car are $1.50 each and the trucks are in the $3 range. My recent full brake job on my truck was $250 with good quality stuff. Woulda been $500 at the parts store
Wow! oil filters for that price?!?! haven't seen that in some 30 years here (Canada)
average price for a Car filter is @ CT - $15.79 / oil - $34.99 for a 3.7 liter jug (our gallon)

The Force power

Commander
The problem with Amazon is....when you have a problem or question and need expertise. Some guy from India that has no idea what a boat is will answer your questions !! I prefer to pay a little more and use my local marine dealer, the valuable advice and expertise is far more valuable to me than saving a few bucks on a quart of oil. For the 20 years I have been going there, I have saved more than I can count, the parts manager was a marine mechanic for 35 years, so I get the best parts and service advice anyone could ask for, and honestly there prices are only a couple bucks higher than Walley World...
All you say is true but, when you what you need.............there's no need for the extras.
I find (some times) even at the chain "experts" you don't any knowledgeable service
I guess is per individual & scenarios

Reactions: KJM

airshot

Rear Admiral
Wow! oil filters for that price?!?! haven't seen that in some 30 years here (Canada)
average price for a Car filter is @ CT - $15.79 / oil - $34.99 for a 3.7 liter jug (our gallon)
Yes, but you have free health insurance, should be worth every extra nickel......

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
I would not use the cheapies, but they are there.
An acdelco for $8 is a great price.

Attachments

• IMG_2806.png
    IMG_2806.png
    697 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2807.png
    IMG_2807.png
    618.3 KB · Views: 4

matt167

Captain
I use the Champ Luber finer filters in my little car. For the $1.50 each. They are fine for that. I use the Bosch filters in mine and my wife’s trucks for the $3-4 that they cost. We use the Champ filters at the dealership I work at sometimes as well. Usually using OEM A/C Delco but they are actually back ordered often enough we need to substitute

airshot

Rear Admiral
Years back, the company I worked for was hired to cut open 10 different brands of auto oil filters. We cut open three of each brand for displays all over the country. You may have run across some if these at your local auto parts stores. The conclusion drawn after a year of displaying these, was the cheaper oil filters were as good and often better quality than the brand name
filters !! One exception was Wix ( napa brand) was number one in quality and the one rated poorest in quality was Fram. So, draw you own conclusion on what a good filter is.

The Force power

Commander
Yes, but you have free health insurance, should be worth every extra nickel......
Yes & no
Hospital & operations yes
any meds after and or equipment needed is not unless you have insurance and we pay on average 450 a year for this through our taxes.
Canada is good in someway & the USA in another way
here you get some there you loose so the speak, but we can both complain about our government :D having said that; lets leave it at that!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I think we all know, nothing is "free" we all pay one way or another. Having said that, unless your job provides good heath care it can be a real financial burden in the US. I think some would pay more for everything just to not have to worry about that. In addition, college costs seem a good bit lower than here. No system is perfect, all can be improved.

Jmunk

Petty Officer 1st Class
My local Wal-Mart always has Startron gear oil for $10 a quart on the shelf. I haven’t tried it myself yet but I’d imagine it would be okay like most other gear oils that are changed regularly.

IMG_0285.jpeg

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I'm extravagant
I use Quicksilver syn blend 25/50 in my old 4.3 and High Performance Gear Lube in the Cobra drive. Expensive yes, but both are working great, the engine had a top end overhaul 6 years ago and now all the wear metals seen in the Blackstone analysis are in the normal range.
BTW, this Merc/Quicksilver oil has a lot more zinc than the standard version of it. Didn't know that but the oil analysis showed it.