out drive removal help

North Beach

Commander
Re: out drive removal help

good Job Kelly! That thing was corroded up exactly the same way mine was.

chrisp929

Petty Officer 2nd Class

when you rebuild it, can you slather a bunch of extra thick axle grease around that area so this doesnt happen again ?

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Kelly good work sometimes getting away from a problem then back to it helps. Im sure N B had a idea that helped. congrats to both of you. Now get to work LOL ED

KellyC

Senior Chief Petty Officer

when you rebuild it, can you slather a bunch of extra thick axle grease around that area so this doesnt happen again ?
That is something that I was going to ask on the board as well. Not sure that I can do that or not but would like to know. I do know that the outdrive needs to be pulled at least once every year.
Kelly good work sometimes getting away from a problem then back to it helps. Im sure N B had a idea that helped. congrats to both of you. Now get to work LOL ED
Yea NB did give me some ideas and it was very much appreciated as well. So a BIG thanks to NB when he sees it. Oh I am going to be working on the boat some more this weekend. It is my long weekend, 4 days this week. So maybe I will get some more done. I am going to try and pull the gimble ring(?) that the outdrive mounts to so that the bearings there can be replace. I am also going to start cleaning up the outdrive and get all that crap out of everything.
Kelly

GLG fishing

Chief Petty Officer

Good job man. Glad she came off.
I know that it was hard but that's behind you now.
Clear sailing ahead.
GLG

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Holy smokes, look at all that corrosion! No wonder she was all locked up! Nice work Kelly!!:D

dozerII

Admiral

SCORE: Kelly 1 Mercruiser 0, way to go Kelly persistance pays off. Now at least you can get on with your repairs and maintainace.
Glen

barato

Petty Officer 1st Class

wow....here's to ya for keepin at it! any suggestions on what finally did the trick? (the outdrive on the Starchief came right off but the one on donor boat looks like i'll be battling it....)

KellyC

Senior Chief Petty Officer

wow....here's to ya for keepin at it! any suggestions on what finally did the trick? (the outdrive on the Starchief came right off but the one on donor boat looks like i'll be battling it....)

First off we took some razor knife blades and just kind of pounded them into the seal area all the way around the outdrive. Then starting at the bottom we took some screw drivers and pounded them in until the unit started to seperate:eek:. We worked our way up the outdrive trying to keep the gap even on both sides. When the gap was to big for the screw drivers I then started using a very large cold chisel just as a wedge:eek:. I just kept working my way up the drive. We could not move it by hand until the last half inch or so and then is just came out. It was a pain and it was coming off even if I had to break something, there was no way around it. But it is off and the sealing area is not that bad that I can't fix it:D.