out drive removal help

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander
Re: out drive removal help

Hay Kelly Did you get that Damn thing apart yet.. Now you know why I prefer O/B motors Unless its a nice newer Diesel and modern Outdrive. Again Good luck

KellyC

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Well as everyone is wanting to know, hell no I did not get it apart yet :mad: But did not get to work on it a lot over the weekend either. I went and bought some lights for the trailer and installed them so if I do have to take it somewhere I can legally and not have to worry about tickets. In the meantime I did manage to cut the boot off of the driveline. As you can see from the pics it is looking like choc milk so I am taking it that there is/was water in the oil there. I was also told I could not access the gimble bearing. Once the boot was out of the way I could see the gimble bearing and poked and proded around and found the snap-ring. The snap-ring has now been removed, by this time it was getting late and had to go to work today. I have been spraying penetraiting oil on the bearing every chance I got though and will do so until I can work on this coming weekend. Hope that this is going to help with the removal as well.

Attachments

• boot1.jpg
    boot1.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 0
  • boot2.jpg
    boot2.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 0

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Kelly Have you checked at rental tool place to see if you could get a porta Power ( Hydraulic) unit to force that thing apart. Or is there no place to get between the two pieces to force it off. That is one ugly mess and you have all our good thoughts for its removal. I am sure you are not a real fan of O/D units right now.

KellyC

I already thought of a port-a-power, was going to steal the one from work for a day or 2. But there is no place to wedge the jaws into or the stupid thing would be in deep crap already. I am going to keep spraying the penetraiting oil on it until I can work on it either Wednesday or Thursday. I really wish that I could take a really good swing with my 10 lb sledge and I would get it off, but affraid of breaking it. I do know that the wife is not to happy with my words of love for the outdrive right now.

But on a brighter note, she can't wait until I can get the boat running. It is a big upgrade from what I currently have (15' seanymph w/35 johnny seahorse).

I really hate to sound stupid but what is an O/C unit? I have no freaking idea and my brain is not working at the moment.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Opssssssss lets try a - O/D outdrive- Im Old the only excuse I can think of. LOL Sorry I get behind myself. I can talk to you easier as were on the same time zone. Where is St. Helens in comparison to Corvalis? Are you close to the Pacific? Again good luck

KellyC

Have no idea where Corvalis is, but I am about 25 miles from Portland and Longview. I can be in Astoria in about an hour or so, so fairly close to the ocean if I want to go there. And thanks for the good wishes, I am sceaming on what I am going to do this weekend. Need to work on the boat but am also being told that the salmon are on the bite again, sooooooooo. We live about 3 blocks as the crow flies from the Columbia River.

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

KellyC,
I hate to bring you more bad news, but I just had the same problem as you, but the outdrive was not as stuck. I repaired the water leak, new bellows, but I read that the rust might damage the yoke in the outdrive. Rust the seal surface. Well it did I ran my outdrive another 25 hrs after fixing the water leak and found no water in the u-joint bellows but a fair amount of outdrive oil. The rust on yoke ruined the outdrive seal and let outdrive oil come past the seal and into the u-joint bellows.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Kelly If the fish are in the Columbia and catching is good. Thats a no brainer. Go fishing ! You need a break. You can always work on the boat and winter is comeing on. Enjoy Oh Corvalis is south close to Salem.

GLG fishing

Chief Petty Officer

Lets see

work on boat - go fishing

Well I think you know what I would do.
Heard you guys are having an excellent run of coho this year.
Go get them, the boat can wait as the fish wont.
GLG

dozerII

Admiral

We need an update Kelly, how are you making out with the demon o/d????

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Well Kelly Did you burn it, sell it or blow it up Or remove the outdrive.??? You realize that if some of us were closer we would be there to help. Ill bring the fuses and detenator cord. LOL actually whats going on???

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Kelley Hope you diden't give up on the O/D removal

North Beach

Commander

Guys I've talked to Kelly on the phone a couple of times and I know he has a real crazy work schedule. He's prob just takin a break?

dozerII

Admiral

I am feeling for you Kelly, I hate when things go like this. I still think that if it is the input shaft that is stuck you will not be able to seperate it with the drive up. Looking at the last photo, the angle of the out drive studs are pointing up at a 45 deg angle, but your input shaft has to come straight out the back of the drive, so the two will be fighting each other. The longer block at the top is the right idea to get the drive down so there is a straight pull back on the bolts and shaft at the same time.
Good luck
Glen

Last edited:

KellyC

Sorry it has been a while since last post, to many things going on and been kind of under the weather myself. The stupid outdrive will still not come off weather it is up or down, it will not even start to come out.:mad: If it was stuck in the coupler would it at least try to come out a little ways? It almost seems that the outdrive it glued to the gimble ring or whatever it is called on the back of the boat. Talk about frustration man, am starting to wonder how much a drive shaft would be from the ujoint to the coupler and just take a torch to the old one and cut it off.:eek: Just not sure what to do anymore dangit. Starting to wonder if I should just sell it for what I have into it:eek: Just dont know.

North Beach

Commander

Kelly, I removed my outdrive today. There is a slot that you can drive a flathead screwdriver into for prying purposes on each side. I will take a pic and post it tomorrow and post it for you. As far as drive shafts go, I have a couple spares here bud!

KellyC

HAHAHAHAHAHA........lookie what I did today:D. Am now a very happy camper

100_0172.jpg

100_0171.jpg

100_0169.jpg

100_0167.jpg

100_0173.jpg

skargo

Banned

Congrats! I am glad you did it! Wow, she's a mess huh?