out drive removal help

skargo

Banned
Re: out drive removal help

Must be all that Munky water..;)

Could be!

I took the drive to a friend of mine who has an automotive/marine repair business, and he said it looks brand new.
It appears the gasket was glued on though, do you guys put them on dry, or use perfect seal or?

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Could be!

I took the drive to a friend of mine who has an automotive/marine repair business, and he said it looks brand new.
It appears the gasket was glued on though, do you guys put them on dry, or use perfect seal or?

dry...they super duper glue themselves together (obviously by this and a billion other posts) good enough as it is over time, why add more cement! lol

KellyC

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ok, made sure it was in forward gear and it is. I tried the jack thing as well and it did not do any good here. I am to the point of pulling the motor now.:mad: Have already started pulling things off the motor to get it ready. I am going to rewire the entire boat anyway so I will do that while the engine is out just to make getting to a few things a bit easier. Oh well, I knew it was going to be a challenge but did not expect this right out of the gate though. Thanks for all the info though guys, there were a bunch of good ideas and I tried as many of them as possible.

skargo

Banned

Good luck! Sounds like it's really on there.

paparoof

Aw don't give up yet...

This is how I removed mine: move the boat onto the lawn so you have nice soft grass underneath everything, then lift the outdrive and just drop it. Once was enough for mine, but you could repeat until it works.

If that doesn't work, back the boat up to a big tree, tie a strap between the outdrive and tree, then use the tow vehicle to SLOWLY pull the boat away from the tree. Stop before the outdrive falls off.

KellyC

Aw don't give up yet...

This is how I removed mine: move the boat onto the lawn so you have nice soft grass underneath everything, then lift the outdrive and just drop it. Once was enough for mine, but you could repeat until it works.

If that doesn't work, back the boat up to a big tree, tie a strap between the outdrive and tree, then use the tow vehicle to SLOWLY pull the boat away from the tree. Stop before the outdrive falls off.

I have tried the dropping the outdrive several times Papa and it has not helped a bit. Even tried with a board just out from the transome and it has all but broke the 2x4 and the damn thing is still attached to the boat. Am thinking of trying the tree and strap and tugging to see it that works.

Was going to pull the motor if I could unbolt the flywheel, well I can get to the back of the flywheel but not the front so it looks like I can't pull the motor either. I am so tempted to go get a hot wrench and I know it will come out with that. I can't believe that the damn thing is being so difficult, really makes me wonder if it was worth the deal.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I didnt see this posted before, but anychance the trim arms or rams are hooked up & working?

If so...

You can put the 2x4 on top between the bell housing and the upper of the OD and push the button to trim UP..

Those hydrolic arms can push it off for you....Hook up a battery, check the pump fluid and give her a shot before you start firing up a torch! :eek:

barato

Petty Officer 1st Class

"wild horses couldn't drag me away......" ;)

sorry, it just jumped out at me.

i don't mean to be rude here, but are you SURE you have all the bolts removed? this comes from someone who's had many a "D'oh" moment....most recently 2 days ago........ figured out the reason my outboard wouldn't run but at full throttle was NOT due to my rebuild being defective, but due to a plug i never swapped from old carb top to new one, causing a massive vacuum leak....if i hadn't spotted that, i'd STILL be trying to figure it out. moral of story: re-check the basics.:redface:

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I'm pouring through whats left of me brain..
And all there is is 6 nuts holding that bad boy on, hard to miss em...

Now seperating the upper and lower...theres all sorts of DOPE moments..
The allen under the trim tab diode thingy..ya that was a mofo for me back in the day...lol

dozerII

Admiral

I sure am glad I boat in fresh water only, 2000 k one way and 4000 the other to salt. I took my out drive off today and when I had all the bolts off, it almost fell on the floor. Hope you can get yours off with out any oppses.
Glen

Last edited:

KellyC

Yuppers all 6 nuts are off the outdrive, have gone over that several times and even asked a bud to make sure for me as well. All bolts were removed according to him as well. Not trying to seperate upper and lower right now, just want the damn outdrive to come out:mad: No the trim rams are not hooked up as they are shot and need to be replaced as well. I wanted to try that idea but no such luck. Not sure if I have ever been this frustraited in my life with a mechanical object and I have done plenty of wrenching in my days, just not on a hole in the water.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

try this...

get a long 4x4 or 2x4...lay it on ground behind the trailers tires...

get a bottle jack and brace it at an angle against the wood on the ground at an angle with the biz end pointing at the outdrive, with a V notched block of wood between the OD and the jack so you dont damage the lower of the OD

Put another small 2x4 across the bell housing on top like I suggested and instead of the rams, use the jack...

Or get a few strong buddies yanking UP on the OD with the 2x4 on top?

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

I have removed a few OMC and Mercruser outdrives and some stuck ones a few timesl. If the bolts came out without breaking it seems strange to me also that the O/D will not release. Again are you sure its in forward gear ?? Can you turn the prop in neutral both dirictions??? and one way in gear and the other way in reverse. It should turn regardless of being stuck or not. Thats one way to see if it is in a forward position. I know this can ruin your whole day but it will come apart someway. You do not want to break it unless you are prepared to replace a lot of expensive parts. Good Luck

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

P S where do you live ? someone fairly close may be able to help you. There is no location on your posting site. Just general area, do not put a actual location.

KellyC

When the shift lever is in the neutral the prop will turn both directions, when it is in gear it will only turn one way and the same with reverse.

I will try the jack method as mentioned by Pugetsound and see if it will work, I am willing to try most anything.

I live in St Helens OR if there is anyone that is close by that could offer some assistance or whatever:redface:

GLG fishing

Chief Petty Officer

Ok here is a long shot for you Kelly. Put the drive under pressure by doing what others have suggested with the jack. Make sure there is tension on the drive. (If it were mine I would use a tree to hold the drive and pull it with my truck with the boat on the trailer.) Let it sit overnight to get as cool as possible and then pour boiling hot water on the drive. Use one of the pots you use to boil spaghetti in, you know the one that holds a couple of gallons. Once the water has been poured on the unit, hit the drive with a plastic hammer to give it some shock. The idea is to heat the outer case and expand it while the inner case is cool and as small as possible.

GLG

KellyC

Have not been able to work on it since last week due to work. I get up at 4:30 am and then get home at 7:30 pm, eat dinner and relax fro maybe an hour and in bed at 10. Work days are really shot in the butt for doing anything but work. But I am going to work on it today as I have the next 3 off, going to try everything and anything suggested that is for sure. have to go buy me a bottle jack today so that I can try to get the beast apart.