out drive removal help

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: out drive removal help

I wonder how much eat can be gently applied with a small hand torch?
Heat it up and spray with PB so it gets in all the expanded gaps?

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Helly Get two bottle of Jack one for you and one for the boat. LOL Good thing to remember at least your working can't say as much for a lot of unfortunate folks now days. Does Elkhunter live close to you???

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Here is a thought. Are you SURE you did not break one or two of the studs off removeing them from the outdrive. They should all be the same length with threads when you look at them . Thats the only thing I can think of as usually if there salted in they easly break some just on the end.????????????

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Well here is what I have been trying and not going anywhere. Just cannot believe that this damn thing can be so freaking stubborn is all.

http://s866.photobucket.com/albums/ab228/kcherry62/1967 Starcraft Islander

100_0143.jpg

that board at the top isnt thick enough....turn it flat or add another..your OD is almost all the way up...think you need more "bite"

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

yikes! Photobucket has a resize tool...the forum likes a 640x480 size

ALSO...

you can wrap the come-along around the OD just like that strap is, and hook the other end to the stern eye...lay that 2x4 flat at the top and winch her against it

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

No disrespect to the suggestions to put in fwd gear. Even if it wasnt in fwd, that alone wont hold it snug like it is. He would still be able to get 1/2 inch at least before the shift cable prevented removal.

chrisp929

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have been following along and man do i feel sorry for you. I have been in situations like these where an issue at the beginning of your project can ruin the whole thing.

Is HEAT an option at this point ? Or maybe heat with dry ice ?

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Ok, here is a smaller pic..
The block needs to be lower where the red bars are..and I you can see my squiggly come along...a combo of come-along AND jack maybe..She will come off
Keep spraying the penetrating oil!

stuck.jpg

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

I have been following along and man do i feel sorry for you. I have been in situations like these where an issue at the beginning of your project can ruin the whole thing.

Is HEAT an option at this point ? Or maybe heat with dry ice ?

I like that idea as long as it doesnt crack the housing, maybe hang a trash bag full of ice water over the fwd part of the drive. chill it down. then slowly dump hot water over the rear part of the drive. Smack it with a hammer. Put pressure on it 1st with abottle jack or something Yee Ha !:D

KellyC

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ok, I will go and see if I can find a come-along tomorrow and turn that board around to lay flat and try again. The board turned sideways by itself when I started lifting the outdrive and did not want to stay length ways but I will make it somehow. Am letting it sit overnight with it on the jack and see if it does anything, keeping fingers crossed. This is being a real pain in the ***. :mad: I am going to kill something really soon if that damn things does not come off soon.

You do see 2 nuts on the studs but they are almost all the way off and are there just so the outdrive does not just pop off and fall on the ground if it dose come loose. I believe that the drive shaft is bound up in the coupler and that is what is causing the issue that I am having. That is also why I cannot remove the motor to get it off as I cannot get to the bolts on the flywheel. If I could do that then I would probably had the stupid thing apart by now. Have removed the flywheel cover to see if I could get to the bolts and that is a no go as I found out.

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

KellyC,
My outdrive was stuck in place earlier this year because water got into the u-joint bellows. What happened was the drive shaft kind of rusted to the transmon bearing so the drive line would not slip out of the bearing. I got mine off with several chisels and as soon as I got a open gap I started using thin pieces of metal to protect the alum outdrive and bell housing. As soon as I got a big enough gap I used a bolt on each side with a nut and another piece of metal I used the threaded bolt to press the outdrive off along with a ratchet straped hooked to the outdrive like shown in a previous thread.
I am not sure trying to pull the engine will work if your driveline is stuck on the bearing like mine was.
The shift rod should be lined up forward so it will slip out of the groove as you remove the outdrive. Then there are the 6 nuts that hold it on. I would not use any heat on anything.

Once you get it off, one place water leaked on mine was around the shift shaft seal, there is an upgrade seal that you will want to get, it is a good double lip big seal.

You could unbolt the transmon bolts and pull the drive off the boat with the transmon bracket, this would require you to support the engine from the inside.

KellyC

Senior Chief Petty Officer

KellyC,
My outdrive was stuck in place earlier this year because water got into the u-joint bellows. What happened was the drive shaft kind of rusted to the transmon bearing so the drive line would not slip out of the bearing. I got mine off with several chisels and as soon as I got a open gap I started using thin pieces of metal to protect the alum outdrive and bell housing. As soon as I got a big enough gap I used a bolt on each side with a nut and another piece of metal I used the threaded bolt to press the outdrive off along with a ratchet straped hooked to the outdrive like shown in a previous thread.
I am not sure trying to pull the engine will work if your driveline is stuck on the bearing like mine was.
The shift rod should be lined up forward so it will slip out of the groove as you remove the outdrive. Then there are the 6 nuts that hold it on. I would not use any heat on anything.

Once you get it off, one place water leaked on mine was around the shift shaft seal, there is an upgrade seal that you will want to get, it is a good double lip big seal.

You could unbolt the transmon bolts and pull the drive off the boat with the transmon bracket, this would require you to support the engine from the inside.

how did you get the bearing in the first place? I cannot see it unless I am not looking in the right spot. I would be willing to try that as well. You are talking about the gimble bearing right? I was trying to see where it would be and could not see into there. Cut the boot off?

elkhunter338

I could not see the gimble bearing, but the shaft was rusty and the bearing was rusty. you cannot access the gimple bearing with the outdrive on.
The bearing is held in with a big snap ring and pushes into the alum housing.
cutting the boot off might help, you will replace the boot anyway.
I bet you find water has been in there.

skargo

Banned

I'd try to stick a thin blade knife in between and try to work it all the way around, then move up to a screwdriver or putty knife. Of course, if the bearing is grabbing it then that's useless I guess.

I hope you get it off of there soon!

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Kelly Sorry about the advise about the bolts, forgot they stay on thre drive (they really look salted in) do one thing Take the prop off before you ruin it and do not mean too. I agree the top 2-4 is not enough a 4-4 might work, then bottle jack that sucker uo and see if it will give place a piece of wood between the bottle jack and the o/d so as to not ruin it. Did I tell you that the tilt and sterering on my 16 was so bad I had to cut it all off with a saws all. Took me three days to remove it and a week to rebuild it.

dozerII

Admiral

Looking at the photos, is not the angle the drive is at going to work against him if the shaft is siezed in the Gimbal bearing. For all the forces applied to work on the drive shaft the drive would have to be on a level plane. To pull the drive off the six bolts it will take an upward pull and to pull it out of the GB has to be straight back.
Can you drop the drive down, measure and cut a 2x4 or better a 4x4 too go between the transom and the top of the drive, where you have the one on the flat now. Wrap a strap around it to hold it in place. Then use a come along on the lower part of the leg, pulling straight back, this should put a straigh pull on both the housing and the shaft. If you don't have the come along yet, have some one hold a peice of 2x4 on the front edge above the L/U gear box (the strongest part) and smack it hard back ward with a big hammer, or if your bottle jack will work in its side, you may be able to put a block on the back of the transome and on the front side of the drive like my photo and jack straight back??
Hoping you get her soon
Glen

Attachments

• IMGP2141.JPG
    IMGP2141.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

elkhunter338

I still think your best bet at this point is to support the engine and try and remove the whole outdrive with the transmon bracket, the gimple bearing is in this piece, then from there you can probably drive the shaft out of the bearing or the bearing out of the housing, assuming the snap ring is rusted and weak.

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Clearly at this point - one must wave a garland of fresh garlic over the unit, threaten the outdrive with a wooden stake and a cross....then yell something like "The power of North Beach Compels You - I cast you out, you unclean spirit!!"

Stay away from a window and steep staircases.