Opinion and religion.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Opinion and religion.

Snapperbait, it is a way too big question, for sure. And you are a busy guy. But that's when it's most important to have God's guidance. I know it's a real bugger in these times to even find time. But keep asking those wuestions, and open up a dialogue with God.Just say "Howdy" to start.<br />In my church, the pastor just completed (this Sunday) a 5-part series of sermons on "how to pray". To boil it down in a sentance is hard, but his son gave us an "instruction prayer" that contains all the required elements. And that is "the Lord's prayer". <br />I hope you don't get the wrong impression that I'm trying to "convert" you, but just answer the profound questions you asked. But I do hope it at least leads you to the answer of "the big question". The bible itself has too few pages for that one, and I am way too ignorant on the subject. :) <br />And yes, 1730V , a big difference.<br />Snapperbait allready has the faith, and that's the most inmportant thing, next to a relationship on speaking-terms with God.

spratt

Lieutenant

What is the most important commandment of all? Who can answer that one? And don't say none, because Jesus named one, that was the monet important of all, and a second also.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

One little side note on the topic...I used to think God was a spaceman, and was off fighting evil in the cosmos someplace, and was too busy for man.<br />I still do in a way. God is the ultamate spaceman, I guess.

Mrs Soulwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Matthew 22:36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?<br /><br />Matthew 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.<br /><br /><br />The Hebrew text in Deut 6:5 it reads, "with thine heart, soul, and strength." and in Mark 12:30 and Luke 10:27 we read, "with soul, heart, strength and thought and thy neighbour as thyself.."

Mrs Soulwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

G-d is never too busy for us.......WE are too busy for Him. He is the One that is always there waiting on us....it is WE that choose to put the things of this world before Him.

Mrs Soulwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

2nd: Matthew 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Mrs Soulwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Deuteronomy 31:6 Be strong and of good courage, fear not, nor be affrighted at them: for Jehovah thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee. 7 And Moses called unto Joshua, and said unto him in the sight of all Israel, Be strong and of good courage: for thou shalt go with this people into the land which Jehovah hath sworn unto their fathers to give them; and thou shalt cause them to inherit it. 8 And Jehovah, he it is that doth go before thee; he will be with thee, he will not fail thee, neither forsake thee: fear not, neither be dismayed.

Carphunter

Commander

Excellent posts mikeandronda!<br /><br />I understand it this way rolmops. The concept of GOD may be beyond our comprehension, but that does not mean we do not understand many of the plans he sets forth for us. God has made it known how he wants us to live, and he has made it known how to walk the path to heaven. All we have to do is accept the gift that is freely given.<br />You say,
How can anyone justify himself claiming that this or that way is part of the greater plan.
I say I absolutely believe that everything that occurs is by Gods "Greater plan". I believe that God knows all. That means everything. Everything that will ever happen forever is by his design. This is my belief. Hopefully, I will understand someday, til then, i'll go on believing what I believe.<br /><br />I enjoy these civilized discussions. :)

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Mrs Soulwinner:<br /> G-d is never too busy for us.......WE are too busy for Him. He is the One that is always there waiting on us....it is WE that choose to put the things of this world before Him.
And I found that out in some very personal ways.

NOSLEEP

Commander

Does G-d care that there is no NHL season!!<br />And I have no sausages left to take hunting.<br /><br />Not everything happens by the will of G-d. <br /><br />G-d is what we let him be. The alpha and Omega.<br />The first and the last.

Mrs Soulwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

we only get what we believe and what we will allow ourselves to receive. <br /><br />Mark 11:24 Therefore I say unto you, All things whatsoever ye pray and ask for, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.<br /><br />Faith....do you have the faith to believe you can receive the promises?<br /><br />James 1:5 But if any of you lacketh wisdom, let him ask of God, who giveth to all liberally and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. 6 But let him ask in faith, nothing doubting: for he that doubteth is like the surge of the sea driven by the wind and tossed.<br /><br />I do... :D

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Why are some people posting "G-D" instead of "God"?<br />Is God a dirty word?

NOSLEEP

Commander

I saw it posted that way 12 ftr.<br />I thought somebody maybe new something I didn't.<br />You know me....Dont want to offend anyone. :D

Mrs Soulwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

(please note that I myself am not of Jewish heritage; therefore, I have and do write out G-d. In this thread I am not out of respect for rolmops)<br /><br />I hope this helps somewhat.<br /><br />The Jewish do not casually write any Name of G-d. This practice does not come from the commandment not to take the Lord's Name in vain, as many suppose. In Jewish thought, that commandment refers solely to oath-taking, and is a prohibition against swearing by G-d's Name falsely or frivolously (the word normally translated as "in vain" literally means "for falsehood"). <br /><br />Judaism does not prohibit writing the Name of G-d per se; it prohibits only erasing or defacing a Name of G-d. However, observant Jews avoid writing any Name of G-d casually because of the risk that the written Name might later be defaced, obliterated or destroyed accidentally or by one who does not know better. <br /><br />The commandment not to erase or deface the name of G-d comes from Deut. 12:3. In that passage, the people are commanded that when they take over the promised land, they should destroy all things related to the idolatrous religions of that region, and should utterly destroy the names of the local deities. Immediately afterwards, we are commanded not to do the same to our G-d. From this, the rabbis inferred that we are commanded not to destroy any holy thing, and not to erase or deface a Name of G-d.

Mrs Soulwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

And let me add:<br /><br />It is worth noting that this prohibition against erasing or defacing Names of G-d applies only to Names that are written in some kind of permanent form, and recent rabbinical decisions have held that writing on a computer is not a permanent form, thus it is not a violation to type G-d's Name into a computer and then backspace over it or cut and paste it, or copy and delete files with G-d's Name in them. However, once you print the document out, it becomes a permanent form. That is why observant Jews avoid writing a Name of G-d on web sites like this one or in newsgroup messages: because there is a risk that someone else will print it out and deface it.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Envision me immitating Johnny Carson....<br />"I did not know that". Thanks for the 'splanation.<br />And any thread we learn from is a good one.<br /><br />I hope nobody is offended by my typing it out.<br /><br />iboats used to star-out the word, God. (You know, ***) But they repaired that a couple years ago.