No bulb glow, but I have spark?

bben76

Seaman
Motor: 1971 60hp

I followed the master's (Joe Reeves) instructions (below) to check my power pack. Followed it exactly. When I connect the light between ground and the blue wire on the terminal the bulb doesn't glow while turning over, observed very closely, absolutely no glow. As soon as I remove the bulb I have spark again! Connect it and the bulb doesn't glow, disconnect and I have spark.

Any thoughts? Can I still have spark but have a bad pack?

For more info on my situation here is a ongoing post of mine: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=196654

---------------- Joe's instructions -------------------------

(Battery Capacitance Dischage Powerpack Test)
Various OMC Engines - 1968 to 1972)
(J. Reeves)

Purchase a small 12v bulb at your local automotive parts store (the 12v bulb is to look like a flashlight bulb, not a headlight bulb). Solder two wires to that bulb, one to the side of the bulb (ground), and the other to the positive point. You might use a bulb of a somewhat lower voltage to obtain a brighter glow... just a suggestion.

Remove the spark plugs. With the key in the on position, make sure that you have 12v going to the pack at the terminal block (purple wire). Now, connect the ground wire from the bulb to any powerhead ground. Connect the wire from the positive point of that bulb to the powerpack wire that is connected to the coil wire on the terminal board (blue wire).

Crank the engine and observe that bulb closely (CLOSELY!). If that bulb glows even the slightest bit, the powerpack is okay. It may be a very dim glow... just so it glows! If it doesn't glow, the pack has failed.

Keep in mind, that type powerpack (Battery Capacitance Discharge) demands a top notch battery of at least 70 amp hours. Any less will, in time, cause powerpack failure.

bben76

Seaman
Re: No bulb glow, but I have spark?

Forgot to mention the bulb I'm using is a brand new standard turn signal bulb for an auto. Glows when put to the battery.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Too big a bulb. You need a little one like for gas gage illumination.

bben76

Seaman

Ah, I see. Thanks, I got a smaller bulb and now I see a glow. Thanks!

FYI to all -

This:
688853998_154e472e18.jpg

688853960_1a5f7ca10d.jpg

Not this:
688854010_b0fb619f7a.jpg