NFL - Offseason News

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Seahawks drafted Shaquem Griffin, the one-handed LB from UCF, as #4 in the 5th round, #141 overall. He was heck of a linebacker for Central Florida.

The oddest pick getting down to the short hairs is by the Eagles. Offensive tackle Jordan Mailata, who has never played one snap in American football, but is a 6'8", 345# Australian rugby player. He was picked 15th in the 7th round, the 207th overall pick.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I really believe Josh Rosen will be a bust. He isn't the guy that you want leading you in my opinion based on what I hear coming out of his mouth. I thought he was going to have a stroke when his name wasn't called 9 times.

I do know 2 things for sure. Vita Vea isn't a) getting his full name on a jersey and b) isn't getting personalized plates anytime soon.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Will kickoffs go the way of the Dodo bird soon? It sure looks like it.

This is my proposal. The kicker kicks off from where he does now. The kicking team moves ahead to the return teams 45 yd line or even closer. They can't advance until the ball has passed where they stand. The ref may give a second whistle, we had 2 different sounding whistles back in High School Football, the second was blown when a penalty flag was thrown by the ref. The second whistle tell the kickoff tean they can advance. This will stop kicking teams getting full momentum by the time they get to the blockers and the returner. You will see more returns for TD's, that what fans and Goodell want. I hated when I saw my name on punt and kickoff returns on the depth charts, it was dangerous 50 years ago, yes we had helmets WITH face gaurds. I loved being on the kickoff and punt teams though. I talked about it on WGR 550 Buffalo, Steve Tasker who I spoke to was heading to the NFL safety meeting the next day said he was going to bring up some kind of interpretation of it at the NFL meeting.

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Mark Engram, Saints, has been suspended 4 games for PEDs....

Old Ironmaker

Captain
How do you think Chucky will fare this season as a new era Head Coach? It has almost been a generation since he was on the sidelines. His verbiage for plays was as complicated as computer code back then. I remember him making young Chris Sims tear up during a Tampa Bay practice he got so frustrated. 41 veer QG trap option echo Y Zebra flat Oscar 73 post orange Y India. All it is Chucky is an option trap play action pass to the flat or flag or post depending where the corner or safety is. It ain't rocket science and most of these guys aren't rocket scientists. Coaches are simplifying the game these day, not complicating it. He is a complicated man, I' not to sure he will be successful with todays ballplayers.

aspeck

Staff member
Coach Chuck Knox passed away Saturday. He was a neat guy. He graduated from Juniata College, my hometown school and alma mater. He played football in college and stuck around to be assistant coach and marry a local girl. Kept coming back to Juniata. They named the football stadium after him and he donated $1M to endow the History Chair. He kept roots here with multiple visits and was a great person as well as a pretty decent coach for the LA Rams and Seattle Seahawks.

aspeck

Staff member
In other "PA" news, Le'Veon Bell tweeted yesterday ... 9-9-18...I can’t wait! #JustBePatient ... Guess he is announcing that he will not be reporting to preseason again this year, but he will play in the first game of the season instead of sitting out games like he has threatened. So disappointed the Steelers did not trade him and go after Barkley.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Pathetic how a player can dictate what he does, don't do preseason and you get to sit out some regular season games. Although, the coaches must be ok with it.... Whatever Bell wants, Bell gets.....

WIMUSKY

Staff member
The Carolina Panthers announced Wednesday that an agreement has been reached to sell the franchise to Appaloosa Management hedge fund founder David Tepper.

Just a mere $2.2 - $2.3 billion....... Pocket change.....:rolleyes:

aspeck

Staff member
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...-anthem-policy

NEW RULE ALERT! NEW RULE ALERT! Players must now stand on the sidelines while the National Anthem is being played, or remain in the locker room. To kneel on the field will bring a fine against the team and the team has permission to pass the fine along to said player ...

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Good. Just saw it and was going to post. Of course, the NFLPA feathers are ruffled. I've had my fill of players disrespecting the flag. That's what it has turned into.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Dez Bryant has shown interest in the 49ers...... Although, he posted it on Instagram which he deleted...

After spending 1yr with the Giants, Brandon Marshall is off to Seattle... 1yr deal for $2m....... I could live with $2m while sitting on the bench...

aspeck

Staff member
AB doesn’t want to be in the media, but he keeps putting himself there ... go figure! And Reggie, well, good for him, I guess. I slipped on wet concrete the other day, wonder if I could get $12M????

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Hmmm.. Maybe AB is on to something ..
I should start expressing my feelings at work and not show up so I could spend time with my family ..
Might add a few years to my life !