Next Project

zach103

Commander
Alright guys im gunna need some major help with this one.. i know the transom is shot so im guessing that the deck and stringers are too so ill need help to get it all done.. it was my grandpas boat and i want him to see it restored to the original.

P1050844.jpg

P1050847.jpg

P1050850.jpg

P1050846.jpg

P1050851.jpg

P1050853.jpg

I Believe its a Celebrity and i think 1977. but i cant find any info on it

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Next Project

you got the windshield for it? Or, did it not come w/ one? Looks like a neat project.

zach103

Commander

no took it off a couple years ago cuz we couldn't see thru it.. i dont know what happened to it

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Nice looking project. Classic lines, lapstrake hull (ride like they are on rails). And it looks like the original windshield was a square corner, not a wrap around style. Not too hard to make from aluminum L or U channel and plexyglass.

Might I recomend mounting the seats a little low, for a more sporty feel, and make the windshield a little taller, so the wind goes over your head, not right into your eyes.

The gelcoat looks faded, but if your look at my MFG project in my signature below, you can probalby polish the original red color back. And don't think you have to polish it, you can sand it, prime it, and have the local body shop shoot a nice coat of auto paint on it that will hold up just fine for years.

BTW, the control box is a great one. Not hard to disassemble, lube it up and clean any electrical connections on the switch. Ask when you get to that point.

Make a list of all the accessories you want, like gauges, new steering helm and cable, gas/water filter, permanent tank, new seats, etc. Price it all out so you get no surprises. I bet you can't buy a new boat of that size for what it will cost to get that one cleaned up and running like a top.

Good luck, and keep us posted on progress. Its a nice looking boat.

zach103

Commander

anyone have any idea how much that motor weighs?? i already know i have to do the transom

zach103

Commander

and what can i use to get that trailer back to a decent looking trailer

jcsercsa

Captain

Great project !! looks like you got your work cut out for yea !! she looks a lot like my nect one , except you said its form the 70s my a 68,
The motor i wouldnt think is over 2 hundred lbs, I got a 100hp merc and it just over 3 hundred..
Keep the pics comming , and have fun !! John

captlee

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice project, good luck with it. :cool:
A 50hp weighs around 190lbs, so a couple pounds over that maybe?

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Not sure of the size of the nearest town to you but here the larger sandblasting shops have out door do it yourself bays you can rent cheap. You could peel that trailer clean in a couple hours for less than $100. I'm trying to get oops! to do his here.

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer

NADA shows the Evinrude 55 hp. Goes between 185 lb. to 195 lb. dry.

In the parts catalog it shows that Evinrude made the 55 hp from 1976 to 2001.

Jeff.

zach103

Commander

Simple newbie question.. but whats the best way to remove the cap by myself

Willyclay

Captain

Us Grandpops love projects like yours. When you get the cap loose, slide a couple of 1X4's between the cap and the hull, one fwd and one aft. Rig a rope sling to lift the 1X4's from your carport, garage, barn, tree, etc. A block and tackle tied to your vehicle's trailer hitch should handle it. Good luck!

Last edited:

BMOLCHANY

Petty Officer 1st Class

It looks like you have a good base to work from. It will be a nice project to grind your teeth on.

jserb

Chief Petty Officer
Hey budd! Nice project you got here! Ill be sure to keep watching!

P.S. When are you comin back from school?!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

willyclya has it zach.....

that cap is not that heavy especially with out glass

zach103

Commander

alright heres where im at.. they moved the boat out of the brush so now i can work on it. .

1. how do i get the rivets out that they used for the rub rail?

2. whats the best way to remove all the junk that the mice put in the engine?

3. how can i support the boat while of the trailer without having to buy boat stands?

4. what color paint should i use for the cap. i wanna match one of the lines on the engine. im thinking dark blue

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

alright heres where im at.. they moved the boat out of the brush so now i can work on it. .

1. how do i get the rivets out that they used for the rub rail?

- Use a drill with a bit slightly larger than the diameter of the rivet shaft, not the flattened end. Drill the head off the rivet, then drive out the rest with a punch or the like.

2. whats the best way to remove all the junk that the mice put in the engine?

- put on gloves and dig in. After the big stuff is out, try a leaf blower to get out the dust. Wear a mask. Then spray with degreaser and hose it all down. Then start rebuilding the motor.

3. how can i support the boat while of the trailer without having to buy boat stands?

- If you don't remove the cap, you shouldn't need additional support for the hull while you rebuild it.

4. what color paint should i use for the cap. i wanna match one of the lines on the engine. im thinking dark blue

- Ummm.... how about dark blue? :D Use (in this order of preference) a marine top side paint, urathane paint, Rustolium.

Mark

zach103

Commander

i need to take the boat off the trailer thats why i asked about the support. the trailer neeeds just as much work lol.

butthanks for all the other answers. gunna get out there today

zach103

Commander

motors off. caps off. and transom is half gone . ill get pics tomor