New site lettering

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Patience is a Virtue; I was told! Well Patience; I will sit back and wait. I will wait until the bugs are worked out. I'm due an eye exam; so I won't mess with the font. Mr. MT's comment about the orange is kinda strong; but the tools used outside are painted that color. Would like to know where the message board is though?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Mobile site is now difficult to read to the point I wont use the mobile site. the highlighted grey font is absolutely horrible to attempt to read. The lightweight font size means I have to turn my phone screen's brightness up to the point battery life suffers to see enough contrast.

main site font and color scheme isnt any batter, and makes it difficult to read to the point it is actually painful to look at, even with all the changes I can do thru my browser, so I probably wont be on here as much

font color, lineweight and size are one of the main issues. the grey font and small size are fuzzy. as you move to smaller font, the font color needs to get darker for it to crispen up. if your going to go with grey font, you have to make it playschool large to avoid some of the ocular strain

I have tried it on all 5 of my monitors, so it isnt a monitor related issue. Its worse on my 4k monitor

https://www.wired.com/2016/10/how-the-web-became-unreadable/

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I haven't tried accessing the site from my ipad yet, I forgot it somewhere on Sunday. On the iphone 6+, it is actually easy to read. Blacker letters would be better though

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
So I don't know how many others are having this particular issue, but viewing on an Android tablet in landscape is pretty close to unusable due to the sticky header with nothing but links to the store. I know the devs at iboats are working overtime but the whole user experience on the forums is kind of terrible. Just throwing my issue on the pile...good luck getting it all sorted out.

Rp32NXU.jpg

chevymaher

Commander
2 suggestions from the peanut gallery.

One the header make it retractable. I checked prices in the iboats store and they are competitive. So forcing ads basically is not needed and actually detrimental to sales. I bought my gel coat repair kit here. And intend to buy much more once my barge gets that far. Now that the butt kissing and mutual hogwash is over. I am here most of the time for the forum. So the header that takes up 1/3 of the pages bites when coupled with the hard to read font. It is not user friendly.

Second issue is the text runs off the right side of the page completely. I can scroll to the right to read it but again it is annoying. The log in part is off the page now and I can't got to it at all. It will not scroll over to it. So If I disappear because i had to reset my password as is posted. You know why.

On a positive note it is faster spell check works now. I am a hillbilly and spelling is not my thing I am afraid. I get the red line i right click to see what vowels I have reversed.

It was said adjust the browser on the font. Well it was fine before the font change. I didn't change the programming. I am a moderator on another site and am computer savvy. But from dealing with these issues there. 98% of the forum won't be able to do it for themselves.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Yeah, I'm on a desktop computer in my office and the font isn't any easier to read than on my iPad; if anything, it's harder to read and actually is painful as Scott Danforth noted.

I'd second the request to get rid of that bar with the drop down menu to links ("SHOP - PHOTOS - FIND PROFESSIONALS - FORUMS & ADVICE - BOATS FOR SALE - SHOP SALE"). Even running the cursor over the bar causes the dang thing to drop down and obscure screen for several seconds before it retracts. Super, super annoying. It makes visiting the forums pretty aggravating. Please make it go away!

I like the speed increase, and while I'm still not crazy about the orange theme that came along with the rhino or hippo logo thing, I can live with that.

I know these changes are a pain for the tech guys and the moderators, and I want you to know we appreciate your work.

Kiter007

iboats.com employee
Looks like the font size and color are back the way they were before... What are you guys seeing?

Kiter007

iboats.com employee
YEP. I think it looks good...it looks the same as before the upgrade now.

The forum is much faster and my private message is much faster.

Kiter007

iboats.com employee
laurentide, good screen shot illustrating the problem. They're working on a fix for that problem with the header row doubling over on tablets.

chevymaher, good suggestions... Can you post a picture showing the text running off the screen on the right side of the page?

GA_Boater et, what's causing your PM not to work? If it's the UI, can you post a picture showing the problem?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Change your Zoom setting. The page is too big to fit, so you are forced to scroll left/right to see the entire screen.

2 suggestions from the peanut gallery.

One the header make it retractable. I checked prices in the iboats store and they are competitive. So forcing ads basically is not needed and actually detrimental to sales. I bought my gel coat repair kit here. And intend to buy much more once my barge gets that far. Now that the butt kissing and mutual hogwash is over. I am here most of the time for the forum. So the header that takes up 1/3 of the pages bites when coupled with the hard to read font. It is not user friendly.

Second issue is the text runs off the right side of the page completely. I can scroll to the right to read it but again it is annoying. The log in part is off the page now and I can't got to it at all. It will not scroll over to it. So If I disappear because i had to reset my password as is posted. You know why.

On a positive note it is faster spell check works now. I am a hillbilly and spelling is not my thing I am afraid. I get the red line i right click to see what vowels I have reversed.

It was said adjust the browser on the font. Well it was fine before the font change. I didn't change the programming. I am a moderator on another site and am computer savvy. But from dealing with these issues there. 98% of the forum won't be able to do it for themselves.

southkogs

Staff member
Second issue is the text runs off the right side of the page completely. I can scroll to the right to read it but again it is annoying. The log in part is off the page now and I can't got to it at all. It will not scroll over to it.
I think they got that fixed ... I was having the same problem earlier, but didn't adjust my screen zoom and it's (at lease appears to be) gone.

chevymaher

Commander
I think they got that fixed ... I was having the same problem earlier, but didn't adjust my screen zoom and it's (at lease appears to be) gone.

Okay I figured out how to adjust this site and not the others. I went from 125% to 110% zoom that fixed it.

On another note. I can post but it says I am not logged in. I try to log in and it isn't letting me. Doesn't recognize my password.

So question is now. Is the top log in for the store? I have a different password for that. It wouldn't accept the one I use for the forum when I made the account. I just can't get the top right to say I am logged in. But on the shop computer I am automatically.

I saw another thread on this. It is a glitch somewhere.

chevymaher

Commander
Okay it just let me in for whatever reason when I tried. That is solved I got logged in on this computer at the top of the page. I was logged in or i couldn't be posting. But it says I am logged in now. If that is as clear as mud.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Okay I figured out how to adjust this site and not the others. I went from 125% to 110% zoom that fixed it.

On another note. I can post but it says I am not logged in. I try to log in and it isn't letting me. Doesn't recognize my password.

So question is now. Is the top log in for the store? I have a different password for that. It wouldn't accept the one I use for the forum when I made the account. I just can't get the top right to say I am logged in. But on the shop computer I am automatically.

I saw another thread on this. It is a glitch somewhere.

Store and forum logons are now combined. We are logged on to both the store and forum with a single log on. If Log In is shown by your vacant avatar, you are not logged on. If your username is shown, you are logged on.

If you can post you are logged on. I know, clear as mud! :eek:

EDIT - Had to change that ^^^ about 6 times to get it right. :doh:

southkogs

Staff member
Okay it just let me in for whatever reason when I tried. That is solved I got logged in on this computer at the top of the page. I was logged in or i couldn't be posting. But it says I am logged in now. If that is as clear as mud.
There were some things in the transition that affected log in. Until they fixed that you needed to reset your password and clear your browser cache (at least) to see if the keel would even out. Now, I think they fixed that issue behind the curtain and your login should be okay.