Need some seasoned Boaters advice

Pappy24

Seaman
Howdy, Not sure how to proceed, Don't know if I have a gem or a non gem. Just got a 1977 StarCraft Holiday 15, quite salvageable, I've too many boat projects in the works. Is it worth much to sell of should I scrap her?? Freshwater boat, clean hull, nice windshield. Would sure appreciate some wisdom in this matter. Thanks and Thanks to our brave Service folks...

jbcurt00

Staff member
Unfortunately, its probably not worth much in salvage.

Metals are down, way down here.

Last scraped tin boat info posted here was a 21 or 22ft Islander w significantly more tin. MagnumDeke stripped the boat bare and then stripped all the paint. Nothing but tin, cut into smallish pieces to get maximum price per pound.

Netted about $200, near the peak of pricing.

bobkat1864

Petty Officer 3rd Class
There is a strong following for Starcraft boats...maybe a quick clean up and going over, then sell for a profit? (Of course there is the labor time factor to consider).

jbcurt00

Staff member
To be clear, Magnum found extensive corrosion and pitting that went thru the hull. Could it have been fixed? Maybe, but it would have been a massive amount of work.

Instead he found a better project hull and completely redid that one.

If there is nothing wrong w the hull, regardless of the condition of the interior, sell it as is and let someone else make it the boat they want.

Hard to turn much profit on a 1 time, 1st time flip.

IMO, if a tin boat hull is sound, or nearly so, scrap is should never be an option. I like smaller closed bow runabouts like your Holiday and w lots of old boats for sale, it amazes me that people choose to buy a closed bow boat and 'convert' it to a fishing rig. Some w less then great results.

Good luck.

Pappy24

Seaman
Yeah, Shes too nice to scrap, Working on the motor and will send Her to someones dock. Thanks for the replys....

Pappy24

Seaman
I've tried the options you have sent. I must not have enough posts. I keep getting the message
?nknown Error" when I try to upload pics. Can I just send you an email? Thanks for your help, Pappy24

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Option 3 doesnt upload, try that if you have a photobucket or similar account

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You do have enough posts for the 2 iBoats methods, however I believe the Free Photobucket account IS the best and easiest way to upload your pics. I'd be happy to walk you through the process via Cell Phone if you wish. Send me a PM with your Phone# and a time to talk and I'll get you set up so you can post your pics.;)