nature1100's 1965 Starcraft 18' Holiday Restoration

nature1100

Seaman Apprentice
Re: nature1100's 1965 Starcraft 18' Holiday Restoration

Decided to work a little tonight on the transom and the motor well. Well I got the transom out, but don't really have a template. I knew it was bad, but not this bad.
IMG_8651_zps0d141664.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You have a transom pattern there. It's just got to be pieced back together. :facepalm: You may have raised the bar for transom mulch. WOW!

nature1100

Seaman Apprentice

Well, made a little progress this week on the teardown. To start the week out we got almost a foot of snow, so it has been a slow week to start out with. I did get most of the hardware (cleats, lights, snaps, and those step strips) off the topside. Also got the steering cable out. Did get most of the transome cleaned out. Still need to get the drain tubes taken out and the hardware on the sides.

Also got the windshield off and out of the way.

Next is the rest of the stuff on the top side and the steering wheel. Then it is taking out the floor!!!!

sprintst

Commander

Nothing like a clean slate after all the dirty work.

odyssey350kc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh my, I don't think I've seen a transom in quite so many pieces before. Its ok, I didn't use mine as a template, a little measuring goes a long way.

Great restoration by the way, keep up the great pics, you'll be happy you have them when you're done.

third times the charm

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey another holiday, like o/b setup even though I prefer I/0 lots of good info here. Keep posting the progress, and welcome to the star armada.:D

dozerII

Admiral

Making some great progress Jason. The hull looks to be in great shape. If you can get it try this polish on the paint.

Attachments

• Sealant.jpg
    Sealant.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 0

budski

Lieutenant Commander

Great job so far Nature, That has to be the worst transum I've ever seen, nothing left for a pattern, going to be a nice boat I agree with Odyessy, take lots of pics, I can't count the amount of times I've referred back to pics as to how was that built, where was that screw Etc; Good luck on your restore.

nature1100

Seaman Apprentice

Was wondering what steering system replacement should I use? Was thinking NFB 4.2, but does it fit? Any other ideas? Cable and helm are shot. Thinking of restoring the steering wheel if it fits the new system. I have the cable length that I need, just wondering what systens works with the Holiday.

GA_Boater

I believe any system would fit in a Holiday dash, it's a good size dash. All the modern systems have a 3/4" tapered shaft so if the old one is 3/4", it will fit. As far as the NFB, I'm not sure if no feed back is needed for 115 hp so I'll let others weigh in on that.

EDIT - I just looked at our pics and you have an early Holiday with the old style dash and tray. You need the 20 degree bezel kit so the wheel clears the tray.

nature1100

Seaman Apprentice

Did a little more investigation into the helm and the original is in working condition. So just new cable and spent tube. I am glad I can keep the original bezel also.

Also, finished teardown of the rest of the boat. Got the floor taken out. 3 of the 4 pieces are good enough for templates, the other was just as rotten as the transom. This was one of the middle pieces.

Also removed all of the foam and vacuumed out all the debris. Took 7 garbage bags to bag it up. As you can see in the background still have a lot of snow, so have to wait to wash out the inside. Now I need to order Gluv-It so it will be here when i can work on the interior.

Got all the hardware out for the transom. Now just finising up measuring and making the template for the transom. Want to get the transom back in before I flip to polish the paint on the bottom.

GA_Boater

Nice and clean now. Winter just won't go away this year. :blue:

third times the charm

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good progress,:D man you clean up started better then mine. :facepalm: I got a ton of black tar spots still to wipe out of my hull.:facepalm:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Real good looking clean out on the hull nature, looks good.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Great looking hull. Looks like your almost complete with the demo.

nature1100

Seaman Apprentice

Finally warmed up enough to work on some stuff. Demo is complete so now is the fun construction part. Did work on a template for the transom and it worked out great. Now have the transom pieces cut out. Still need to finish the curved part, the need to be sanded out to match the aluminum skin, but they fit.

Also got to spray some paint on the outboard parts. Here is the lower cowl.

Now can work both on the outboard and transom. Want to get the transom back in before the boat is flipped. Then can remove all the oxidation on the bottomside and work on the trailer.

third times the charm

Petty Officer 1st Class

Finally warmed up enough to work on some stuff. Demo is complete so now is the fun construction part. Did work on a template for the transom and it worked out great. Now have the transom pieces cut out. Still need to finish the curved part, the need to be sanded out to match the aluminum skin, but they fit.

Also got to spray some paint on the outboard parts. Here is the lower cowl.

Now can work both on the outboard and transom. Want to get the transom back in before the boat is flipped. Then can remove all the oxidation on the bottomside and work on the trailer.

Hey it's looking good. Nice work on the transom pieces, and that paint on the o/b cowl. You going to epoxy the transom pieces before you reinstall?

nature1100

Seaman Apprentice

Decided to get the transom glued up. Used gorilla glue and worked great. Later this week will get started with the spar varnish.

nature1100

Seaman Apprentice

It has been a while, but have got a few things done. Got the transom spar varnished, 4 coats per side and 6 coats on the endgrain. Then got it installed. Also installed the AL trim and endcaps.

Also more outboard parts painted and installed.

Continued on next post...