Nascar

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Nascar

JR needs a shave. I heard the only reason for the beard is because his mother and sister want him to shave it.

QC

Supreme Mariner

The ONLY thing that pisses me off about Nascar is the actual restrictor plates. These cars are capable of much higher speeds....let these guys race.
I hate the plates too, but it's not the car that's the problem. It's Talladega and Daytona.

190mph is 20mph slower than 30 years ago. It's silly. It's like going backwards in time.
I believe the all time LAP record was 240 MPH or so . . . but that is the problem, if they get backwards at anything above 200 they can get airborne and into the stands. That's the only reason they had to slow them down.

you'd have to be a real kook to not see a thrill in watching a race where 20 cars are bumper to bumper 4 and 5 wide down the backstretch.
And plates give you 43 cars bumper to bumper, three wide. That's the plate despite it's stupidity. The only solution is to flatten out the corners at both tracks and they won't do it . . .

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

I agree totally, constant white knuckle driving at over 200MPH or whatever, that deserves respect for sure.
But to me it's just downright boring watch on TV unless it's the final laps.
But than again so is golf unless your a golfer.
How can it be boring ? unless you can't see the skill it takes to pass another car both doing close to 190 mph and clear him by inches. And still be set up for the next bend. Try passing that close at 20 mph and see what happens.

skargo

Banned

Don't forget the Detroit Locker's that have been used since the 1960's do they still run them? Heck I can even set up one of those, I have one in my dragpack Ford

Yep, you can buy them on ebay and racing junk sometimes, used for one race. Work fine in an offroad beater too!

muskyone

i used to think it was dumb then i saw rowdy bush in a truck race. and thought i gotta watch this kid hes good now i'm hooked.
and i heard Gordon say that if they ran Daytona with out the plates the cars would run around 150 and eat up a set of tires in 3 laps 18 will win it all this year

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Wow, you are not a NASCAR fan at all.
Why bash one of the nicest, kindest guys in all of racing? Mark Martin is a gentleman, and a great guy. I can't believe you said that about him.

Please take your bashing out of this thread, this is a positive Nascar thread for Nascar fans. :rolleyes:

My backside.

Didn't say he wasn't a nice guy.

But there are several reasons why he hasn't won a championship.
And after hearing him whine for 25 years, and his Favre style retire, come back, retire, no I'm gonna race, doodoo, I don't care if he ever gets on a track again.

I'll take guys like Dave Marcus, Ken Schrader, **** Trickle, Matt Kenseth, Jim Sauter, Harry Gant, and Bill Elliott out for dinner, but not the whiner.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I don't think the new spoiler will make the smartest guys less smart and money worth less, so I don't see that happening. There will be some differences though for sure. One may be the return of loosening a guy up by pulling up behind him. Yes, that happens with the wing but doesn't seem as obvious. Also I think we are going to see more spins as those little end plates on the wing sure seem to make it easier to save a sideways car . . .

Those huge side wickers they put on the left side rear, aught to keep the cars from getting too loose when someone gets on your right side going into the corner.

skargo

Banned

My backside.

Didn't say he wasn't a nice guy.

But there are several reasons why he hasn't won a championship.
And after hearing him whine for 25 years, and his Favre style retire, come back, retire, no I'm gonna race, doodoo, I don't care if he ever gets on a track again.

I'll take guys like Dave Marcus, Ken Schrader, **** Trickle, Matt Kenseth, Jim Sauter, Harry Gant, and Bill Elliott out for dinner, but not the whiner.
He retired ONCE. He is not a whiner

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It must be winter. Boaters just get too testy.

BE NICE, guys!!

relstabw

Seaman

I used to look forward to February every year for the start of the NASCAR season...Then Dale died, Brian took over and Toyota came in (can you tell I'm old school) anyway still can't seem to help myself and watch anyway but last year slept through most races. Here's hoping the changes (larger restrictor plate, return to bump drafting) will make the Great American Race a race again and the winner won't just be the last guy who put on tires or who didn't run out of gas! For the last two years the real racing has been on the Busch(Nationwide) side.

skargo

Banned

I used to look forward to February every year for the start of the NASCAR season...Then Dale died, Brian took over and Toyota came in (can you tell I'm old school) anyway still can't seem to help myself and watch anyway but last year slept through most races. Here's hoping the changes (larger restrictor plate, return to bump drafting) will make the Great American Race a race again and the winner won't just be the last guy who put on tires or who didn't run out of gas! For the last two years the real racing has been on the Busch(Nationwide) side.

I must take the other side of the coin. In the past 3 years or so some of the best racing I can remember seeing has been going on, and I've been a fan for 30 some years.

Yes it would be cool to see the old cars with real bumpers etc, but then we'd be having guys get killed left and right still. I love a competitive race, and I like some good wrecks too, I am glad I can watch a horrendous crash, and not wonder if the guy is going to be hurt bad, or killed.

Come on Sunday!

WIMUSKY

Staff member

He's the most genuine, respected and liked driver out there.

NASCAR said they're going back to the spoiler to create better competition. That's what they said when they went to the wing. They also say that Newman's flight last year has nothing to do with removing the wing. I'll never believe that one. Johnson's 4 in a row isn't helping NASCAR either, even tho it was a tremendous feat. Knaus/Johnson, what a duo. They're at the top of their game and can probably win in any car configuration they're given. But, I still believe that NASCAR hopes to disrupt their domination by making changes to the car. Kinda like when Kenseth won the Cup with no wins. I believe the year after is when the Chase started. I wish NASCAR would stop messing with the car for awhile. They're never going to make everyone happy and create the perfect season........

relstabw

Seaman

I must take the other side of the coin. In the past 3 years or so some of the best racing I can remember seeing has been going on, and I've been a fan for 30 some years.

Yes it would be cool to see the old cars with real bumpers etc, but then we'd be having guys get killed left and right still. I love a competitive race, and I like some good wrecks too, I am glad I can watch a horrendous crash, and not wonder if the guy is going to be hurt bad, or killed.

Come on Sunday!

I agree it's great to see drivers walk away. We'll never know what this sport would have looked like if Dale Earnhardt hadn't died. I just don't understand why they had to change the entire car. The majority of the safety features could have been incorporated into the old car and the racing wouldn't have suffered as much. As far as the old bodies being less safe, that's true but the track design had as much to do with driver injuries as the cars themselves. The "soft" walls, improved driver seats, and HANS devices account for most of the reduction in injuries. The only thing IMO that the new body reduced was passing. It did help Toyota come in and be competitive in the first year. (that and Joe Gibbs). One last observation from a long time fan. The influx of money into NASCAR has been a two-edged sword. On one hand the drivers are now paid more than enough to make a living and retire comfortably but on the other hand it has eliminated the building of racecars in the family garrage and taking them to the track and being competitive. (ex. Sterling Marlin, Ricky Rudd, Junior Johnson etc.)

WIMUSKY

Staff member

The influx of money into NASCAR has been a two-edged sword. On one hand the drivers are now paid more than enough to make a living and retire comfortably but on the other hand it has eliminated the building of racecars in the family garrage and taking them to the track and being competitive. (ex. Sterling Marlin, Ricky Rudd, Junior Johnson etc.)

That's very true. If you don't belong to one of these organizations, RCR, Hendrick, JGR or Roush, your at a huge disadvantage. Money is everything in NASCAR. That's why more and more teams are merging just to stay competitive.

QC

Supreme Mariner

While I agree, I don't know of any business that success does not breed more success. With that said, I think you are writing off smaller team intro opportunity too quickly. Tommy Baldwin Racing is growing, albeit slowly, but who didn't grow slowly?

One could also argue that Robby Gordon is an amazing story. He is in the Top 35, and that is the second level of success in NASCAR. The first being simply qualifying from outside the Top 35 re: Baldwin, and there are others . . .

Lone Duck

That's very true. If you don't belong to one of these organizations, RCR, Hendrick, JGR or Roush, your at a huge disadvantage. Money is everything in NASCAR. That's why more and more teams are merging just to stay competitive.

Yeh ! When I was a kid, 19 yrs old we use to race claimers on a dirt track. Find an old beater , put bigger rims on the right side , take out the glass, put in roll bar and weld the doors shut. If you won a race, you car goes up for auction. So you did not put in much money to it. Kept it all competitive . And lots of fun. Wish I would of stayed in it. But the following season I noticed girls. Been costing me ever since. And my toys are limited.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

While I agree, I don't know of any business that success does not breed more success. With that said, I think you are writing off smaller team intro opportunity too quickly. Tommy Baldwin Racing is growing, albeit slowly, but who didn't grow slowly?

One could also argue that Robby Gordon is an amazing story. He is in the Top 35, and that is the second level of success in NASCAR. The first being simply qualifying from outside the Top 35 re: Baldwin, and there are others . . .

That's part of the problem if you're not one of the big dogs. Not only does success breed success, it also breeds more money(which is, of course, part of success at least from a corporate standpoint). With more money comes top sponsors with deep pockets, top personnel and equipment. From the guys back at the shop, engine builders etc, to the guys at the track, crew, crew chief and drivers. It's tough for the "little guy" to compete against a seemingly endless bankroll.
The top 35 is another story. I listen to alot of NASCAR radio on Sirius. I'm with Moody, as I too don't care for that current system. Too much emphasis is put on making the top 35 so they can race the following week. I'm all for "everyone" having to qualify to be in the show. If Johnson, Gordon, Shrubby and my guy Burton can't qualify good enough to make the race then so be it. I shake my head too when they interview a driver after a race who finished 15th and they say, "we had a good day". Since when is finishing 15th a good day? Never used to be that way. Winning used to be everything. Now everyone seems to be "points racing".
Then there is the start and park drivers. I don't even want to go there....:)

Yeh ! When I was a kid, 19 yrs old we use to race claimers on a dirt track. Find an old beater , put bigger rims on the right side , take out the glass, put in roll bar and weld the doors shut. If you won a race, you car goes up for auction. So you did not put in much money to it. Kept it all competitive . And lots of fun. Wish I would of stayed in it. But the following season I noticed girls. Been costing me ever since. And my toys are limited.

The female form will get you everytime!;)
I see they still have claimer races with modifieds. The winner has a chance of losing his engine after the race for $500. Helps keep the guys from dumping too much money into the motors. There's always a possibility they might lose it at the end of the night..

tallcanadian

Captain

I totally agree with you in regards to Dale senior. He was my hero. When he died I did lose a bit of interest in Nascar. My wife always laughs at me cause I fall asleep as well watching the races. The Daytona 500 will be ,I think, a good race because of what you mentioned, larger restrictor plate and bump drafting. Talledega is my favourite track but last years race was a fiasco. I think the drivers were sending a message. I don't care what anybody says. That's why we have some of the changes.

skargo

Banned

I totally agree with you in regards to Dale senior. He was my hero. When he died I did lose a bit of interest in Nascar. My wife always laughs at me cause I fall asleep as well watching the races. The Daytona 500 will be ,I think, a good race because of what you mentioned, larger restrictor plate and bump drafting. Talledega is my favourite track but last years race was a fiasco. I think the drivers were sending a message. I don't care what anybody says. That's why we have some of the changes.

I have to agree, while I am still a fan, I'm not a nut like I was prior to Dale's death. We went to the Daytona 500 for the 50th anniversary, and are going back next year since it will be the 10th anniversary of Dale's death!

I still dig it, just not with the fervor I once had.

QC

Supreme Mariner

my guy Burton
Me too, go #31, and he looks pretty good for the 500!! The #22 got me into NASCAR with the CAT car, so I'm really a Ward fan. I still have connections with Cat so it's a reminder to me that even Sponsors bring fans, not just the other way around . . .

can't qualify good enough to make the race then so be it.
Yeah, I understand, and in a perfect world I would agree, but the fact is that the role of the Sponsor still drives the sport and I don't think there's any looking back. Sponsors want to be insured they'll make the show for the big $. Burton would be in a crap ride if there was no top 35 guarantee, he is not the best on Friday . . . ;)

It's tough for the "little guy" to compete against a seemingly endless bankroll.
I think that was my point . . . A little guy can still enter the sport and work their way up, and they all used to be little guys. But I understand how hard it looks.

Heck I was a #22 fan while they struggled too, and then an awful experience with Morgan-McClure and the #4. Sometimes I think an underfunded team getting a top 10 is as good as a victory, so there are even mini races within the race. Yes, that seems to maybe even glorify a top 15, but it is the climb up that can be really exciting for a fan.

BTW, I can't stand Hendrick, just too dang good, but they earned it and somebody will unseat them.