Nascar

tallcanadian

Captain
Re: Nascar

The Nationwide series is going to debut these models sometime this year, but not for a full season as of yet. Chevy is not going to run the Camaro. They're staying with the Impala as of now...

Cool, I dont' like the Camaro anyhow. But they don't have much to choose from anymore. Maybe the new Malibu? Ouch.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

GM is in the process of downsizing the Camaro. Maybe they'll use it after that process is complete. Who knows what GM will do since they're no longer a strong manufacturer. Heck, even Petty is running Fords this year and not Dodge like he has throughout his career. There's only a couple of Dodge teams left with only one real contender, Penske. I see too that Danica is going to run the Nationwide series at Daytona this Sat.

Here's a short article on the Camaro:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...llac-cts-and-ats-on-new-smaller-platform.html

CaptainKev

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For those of us that don't appreciate the roundy, roundy stuff, Formula One has an American team in it this year. Lots of new teams and changed rules. Should be better than ever. I'm still having trouble with the debacle at Indy, though.:mad:
CaptainKev

nlain

Commander

I want to see Gordon do well but I want Mark Martin to win the championship this year. Can't wait to see him and Jr lead them to the green flag on Sunday.
Lets go racin boys.

skargo

Banned

I want to see Gordon do well but I want Mark Martin to win the championship this year. Can't wait to see him and Jr lead them to the green flag on Sunday.
Lets go racin boys.

Last time Hendrick had two drivers on the front row of the Daytona 500 the drivers were Darrell Waltrip and Kenny Shrader!

Go JR, I fully expect him to turn it around this year.

Danica looked good in the ARCA race, there were 5 other young women in the field too!

A little off topic, but every single message board I go on, and there is a Nascar thread, it brings out all the haters. Watch and see if the theory holds correct here. I don't get why people waste their time when they are not a fan yet they feel they have to try and educate us silly turn left fans. Cracks me up every time!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Go JR, I fully expect him to turn it around this year.

Oh he will. turn it around about 180* and back it into the wall.
And when Martin fails, we'll hear the same old pep talk about how he's feeling the best ever, and he is so proud of the team, and thankful this and that.
But it all seems so fake and whiney coming out of his mouth. No matter what he says, it just reminds me of all the whining and complaining he did for 20 years.

Waiting for the day that Hendrick realizes he has to let both of them go.

For Jr, he has the best equipment in the world now, and can't get it done.
Driver input into car setup is just as important as the crew chief, and Jr just can't seem to get the whole setup communication thing right in his head.

aspeck

Staff member

Left turn, left turn, left turn ... I just don't get all the excitement over such a stupid and consumptive sport! :eek: ;):p:D

BTW, I enjoy Nascar ... Go Smoke!

QC

Supreme Mariner

For those of us that don't appreciate the roundy, roundy stuff, Formula One has an American team in it this year.
To help Skargo out with the haters :eek: :p :) Those squigly, sguigly drivers will be the first to tell you how tough this circuit is. Initially makes mincemeat out of guys like Juan Montoya who I happen to like. Here is an interesting comparison from an old 2004 article I just found. Not all still valid, but it does point out some significant differences:

June 22 2004

Formula One racing is held in high esteem throughout the world as the greatest form of motorsports on the planet. This weekend the series made it's annual stop in the United States for the US Grand Prix at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. At the same time the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup drivers were racing in Michigan just a few hours away.
Lets compare the two series and see which is truly better.
  • Formula one has had one driver win eight of the nine races in 2004 while NASCAR has had nine different winners in its fifteen races this year.
  • The US Grand Prix featured two lead changes between two different drivers (both on the same team.) The DHL 400 in Michigan saw the lead change hands seventeen times among ten different drivers.
  • At the end of the F1 race in Indianapolis there were just eight cars left on the track, five of them on the lead lap. Michigan saw 31 cars still racing at the checkered flag, 24 of those were still on the same lap as the leader.
  • Michael Schumacher leads the F1 points standings by eighteen points, that is almost two entire races that Michael could sit out and still lead the points. In NASCAR Jimmie Johnson leads the season long point standings by seven points, that represents less than two positions on the race track in any one race.
We've seen lately that NASCAR is not perfect but this weekend's US Grand Prix confirms something that many of us have known all along. When it comes to competition, entertainment and racing NASCAR is a lot better than Formula One racing.

skargo

Banned

Oh he will. turn it around about 180* and back it into the wall.
And when Martin fails, we'll hear the same old pep talk about how he's feeling the best ever, and he is so proud of the team, and thankful this and that.
But it all seems so fake and whiney coming out of his mouth. No matter what he says, it just reminds me of all the whining and complaining he did for 20 years.

Waiting for the day that Hendrick realizes he has to let both of them go.

For Jr, he has the best equipment in the world now, and can't get it done.
Driver input into car setup is just as important as the crew chief, and Jr just can't seem to get the whole setup communication thing right in his head.
Wow, you are not a NASCAR fan at all.
Why bash one of the nicest, kindest guys in all of racing? Mark Martin is a gentleman, and a great guy. I can't believe you said that about him.

Please take your bashing out of this thread, this is a positive Nascar thread for Nascar fans. :rolleyes:

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

Lets go racin boys.

I agree. Mark martin deserves that win. After all he's been the man the young bloods go to for advice for a lot of years.

tallcanadian

Captain

It's going to be interesting when they change the spoilers later in the season what happens. I think these teams who are struggling with the handle of these new cars are going to come to life. And perhaps these teams who are doing well, just may faulter a bit. We'll see.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I don't think the new spoiler will make the smartest guys less smart and money worth less, so I don't see that happening. There will be some differences though for sure. One may be the return of loosening a guy up by pulling up behind him. Yes, that happens with the wing but doesn't seem as obvious. Also I think we are going to see more spins as those little end plates on the wing sure seem to make it easier to save a sideways car . . .

tallcanadian

Captain

The cars are going to handle differently for sure. And I agree with the spins, I've seen a lot of nice saves last year that looked impossible.

And I can't believe how many people think that all the drivers do is drive in circles all day. They don't realize the factors that make these cars do what they do. That's what I like most about the races. The geometry, the physics and just plain hard work to get these cars to do what they do. Awesome.

waterinthefuel

Commander

The ONLY thing that pisses me off about Nascar is the actual restrictor plates. These cars are capable of much higher speeds....let these guys race. Take off the damn plates and lets watch some real boogity boogity boogity. 190mph is 20mph slower than 30 years ago. It's silly. It's like going backwards in time.

Other than that, you'd have to be a real kook to not see a thrill in watching a race where 20 cars are bumper to bumper 4 and 5 wide down the backstretch.

a70eliminator

Captain

The cars are going to handle differently for sure. And I agree with the spins, I've seen a lot of nice saves last year that looked impossible.

And I can't believe how many people think that all the drivers do is drive in circles all day. They don't realize the factors that make these cars do what they do. That's what I like most about the races. The geometry, the physics and just plain hard work to get these cars to do what they do. Awesome.

I agree totally, constant white knuckle driving at over 200MPH or whatever, that deserves respect for sure.
But to me it's just downright boring watch on TV unless it's the final laps.
But than again so is golf unless your a golfer.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Me too ^^^^^ (Ooops was meant for Tallcanadian)

My list of NASCAR pluses:

I like the close racing that ovals offer.

I LOVE the role of sponsors despite all that hate it. Big sponsor roles insure the future and makes Driver behavior linked to income. With only a few exceptions there are no drug or behavior scandals in NASCAR.

And related, the fact is that "stock" cars vs. open wheels cars, provide more area for sponsor decals. Which means more bucks, and again a plus for the circuit.

I also like the fact that it is low tech to some degree. Manual trannys, carburetors, basic, simple, old platforms. Mega high tech application of those aged components, but still simple.

The guys that debate small block performance gains here should simply drool over NASCAR. Same stuff. Oh BTW, "Will an Alpha live behind an ECR engine?"

a70eliminator

Captain

Me too ^^^^^

My list of NASCAR pluses:

I like the close racing that ovals offer.

I LOVE the role of sponsors despite all that hate it. Big sponsor roles insure the future and makes Driver behavior linked to income. With only a few exceptions there are no drug or behavior scandals in NASCAR.

And related, the fact is that "stock" cars vs. open wheels cars, provide more area for sponsor decals. Which means more bucks, and again a plus for the circuit.

I also like the fact that it is low tech to some degree. Manual trannys, carburetors, basic, simple, old platforms. Mega high tech application of those aged components, but still simple.

The guys that debate small block performance gains here should simply drool over NASCAR. Same stuff. Oh BTW, "Will an Alpha live behind an ECR engine?"
Don't forget the Detroit Locker's that have been used since the 1960's do they still run them? Heck I can even set up one of those, I have one in my dragpack Ford