My Reasons for Hunting

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: My Reasons for Hunting

I used to hunt a lot. Started as a boy. Dad was never a hunter, he was an urbanite. I learned on my own.<br /><br />I subscribed to the genetic memory theory then, and the enjoyment of being outdoors in the wilderness.<br /><br />Since I have lived in the wilderness full time and have wildlife wandering around my "yard" I hunt a lot less. I harvest a deer and a couple of turkeys each year, because I like to eat venison and wild turkey. I keep a hunter's full arsenal and have pleasant memories of stalking the woods.<br /><br />I think my environment now satisfies a lot of why I used to hunt so much. It used to be, "OH BOY, deer season!", now it's "Today would be a good day to go get a nice fat spike or young doe."

mattttt25

Commander

neumanns- we'll agree to disagree. yes, we all have an opinion. didn't want to bring down the post. again, nothing against hunting here.<br /><br />oddjob- just a friendly debate between neumanns and i. your comments are those that usually get threads headed towards the infamous "locked". chill out.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

I completely agree with the "centering" effects of<br />actually being part of nature...<br />don't need to go hunting, I bought property where<br />a 5 min. hike put's me in the thick of it<br />anytime i want. name a species and it's out there.<br />I take the kids out to experience it first hand<br />a few times a month regardles off weather...<br />especially enjoyable with my 5yr old son:D<br />he still talks about the time the fox stopped to<br />check him out last year...<br />god is in the details,<br />M.Y.

oddjob

Commander

Sorry mattt, you are right on this point. Sorry for my remarks.I had just edited it before I read this post. You seemed to want to make light of something I think you dont understand and it bugged me a bit.

aspeck

Staff member

So many of these posts are sooo close to home!<br /><br />Carp and Matttt, I think we have a problem here in semantics. I think you are both meaning about the same thing, just putting different words to it. To me it doesn't matter if you call it a sport or a hobby. It is something that I love to do for many reasons.<br /><br />The first year I hunted I did not enjoy it, was 12 and would rather have been baking cookies with my Grandmother, but it is something that all the males in my family did. That year I started to get hooked when I shot a 12 pound turkey and then in deer rifle season, it was a cold snowy, rainy first day. I hunted till about 8:30 AM and was cold and had to go down the mountain to the house because I had to go to the bathroom (okay, so I wasn't such an "Outdoorsman" then.). Took a hot shower, dried my clothing in front of the fire, watched cartoons, and waited for my dad and 2 brothers to come in for lunch. Went back out at noon and my friend was coming out of his tree stand. Climbed into his stand and 20 minutes later downed my first deer - a 9 point buck - with a double barrel shotgun.<br /><br />About fell out of the tree stand. Then forgot to untie my gun from the rope that I lowered it to the ground with. Took off running towards my deer - almost ripped my arm off! Man, I was hooked! Something almost spiritiual happened. I came so close to death - the death of a deer. Man, I honored and respected that animal. I loved that animal, I cried for that animal. I was proud of my success and the joy that deer brought me (and still brings me). Everytime we pulled venison from the freezer it was like a time of worship and rememberance of that fallen hero.<br /><br />Next week I am closing on the family house. It is sold after 47 years of being in the family. Last friday I went up behind the house hunting, possibly for the last time. Yes, I bagged a big doe (I am a trophy hunter and any deer is a trophy to me) about 100 yards from the rock I would always start out the season on. I dragged the deer past Andy's tree stand, or what is left of it (where I shot that first buck). Oh the memories! I remember Dad, who died of a heart attack 4 years ago, running over the hill to help me with that buck. The deer and I went past the rock where Dad and I were face to face with a spike buck early on in my hunting years. The only thing that seperated the buck from us was the rock. We never even tried to shoot it, just watched the deer.<br /><br />I would never criticize a "baiter" even though I would never do it. I would never criticize someone who hunts deer with dogs, but I would never do it. I do walk and stalk (even when bow hunting), and I do participate in organized drives for deer. We each have different styles of hunting. What matters is that we respect the game we hunt and we realize that we may have the latest and most modern of equipment, but we are still in the animals back yard. With the number of deer that I have know were in an area, but could not find them, I think the animals still have the advantage!

gaugeguy

Captain

072842.jpg
<br />
080084.jpg
<br /><br />this is why I hunt, doesn't get much better. :cool: :cool: :cool:

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

my 90yr. old italian grandma introduced me 2 hunting...<br />sat in a rocking chair overlooking her 50x200<br />pristine garden. when I was older, mom explained<br />it wasn't "really" chicken I was eatin all those yrs in her sauce... ;) <br />I was 3yrs old,<br />M.Y.<br /><br />P.S. sweet buck GG! guess from the oak leafs in<br />the pic, he was chompin acorns?<br />180lbs dressed?

Link

Rear Admiral

I always read all posts first (in this case "dock side chat") then go back and comment where I can. Sometimes just a smiley face and sometimes I ramble.<br /><br />When I first read this tread there was just<br />Carphunter, aspeck and ebb.<br /> <br />I agreed with EBB. Very well written. I was and am now going to suggest to Craphunter <br />and Aspeck to get together via email and combine the two, post/reply and send it to the Rifleman or Field and Stream. Even keep the same title "My reason for hunting"<br /><br />Then make another post if it gets printed so we all can get a copy!<br /><br /> <br />Very well done Gents<br /><br />Link

aspeck

Staff member

"CRAPHUNTER"????? Link, how dare you call my hero such a name! :D :D Ha! Loved the typo!<br /><br />It was a typo, right?<br /><br />Gaugeguy, what kind of BABY deer are you shooting? ;) ;) Man, am I ever jealous! Nice deer guy! Congrats!

LadyFish

Admiral

I've really enjoyed reading this thread also. :)

Carphunter

Commander

Only Aspeck would catch the Craphunter typo. :D <br /><br />Man, that was funny. :D <br /><br />.......sniff.......sniff....... after all these years, i'm still 'specks hero, kinda gets me right here! :p <br /><br />Thanks Link, I guess when you are this passionate about something, it makes it very easy to talk about. I do believe Aspeck and I have much in common. Don't know if i'd want to share my e-mail address with him though. No tellin what kind of virus he would send me. :D Somebody gave me that "buck-fever", was that you 'speck?<br /><br />This is the reason I frequent this particular forum. I feel as though i'm just sittin around havin a conversation with my buds. :) (I guess I could've just said, "Yeah, what EBB said") ;)

FLATHEAD

Captain

GG, Nice animals. By the looks of things those guys were taken with a bow???

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

I to feel this thread has been well wrote; I hunt for primarily the same reasons as most have listed. By time I got to it though I felt as though what I had to say had been said AND said better than I could have. <br /><br />I did take issue with mattt and then decided to look up sport, I could not let the word play portion go. Mattt and I will proabably never see eye to eye here...who cares, he don't and I don't. We can do that without tearing each other limb to limb. ;) I'ts not personal it is our own and varried opinions, so be it.<br /><br />I do appoligize for starting this thread down the wrong road and would like to see it continue down the Intended Road. Thanks...

mattttt25

Commander

right on neumanns. so back to the original topic- when i was around 10, i had my bb gun out back, shooting at crap all day. i saw a bird on a fence post and wondered if i could hit. i got down in my best prone position, lined up the little fella, and whacked him. bird dropped instantly. i stared in disbelief- i guess at 10 i didn't think about what was going to happen. i remember being scared to death, like i did something really wrong (you could argue that i did- no reason to kill tweety). i ran all the way home, tears in eyes, and never told anyone. maybe the event that turned me away from hunting.

gaugeguy

Captain

Flathead, the one on top is this years rifle kill and the one below is a bow kill from 98. I had big time buck fever with the bow kill, I missed him twice and he ran off both times. And after both misses I was able to use my voice to grunt him back into bow range. <br /><br />I don't consider myself to be a trophy hunter either. I am just as proud of the spikes and forkhorns I have taken as I am of these wall hangers. Anyone who shoots an animal and leaves it in the woods because it is not a "trophy" is not a hunter, they are poachers. :mad: Every animal is a trophy and should be treated as such.

Link

Rear Admiral

aspeck <br />After reading your reply<br />"CRAPHUNTER"????? Link, how dare you call my hero such a name!"<br />I said HUH, and scrolled up to read my reply...when I got to the typo, I was laughing so hard at my "typo" I had tears running down my cheeks! At first I decieded to correct it with a edit, but what the heck, it's part of the post now :) <br />Carpy me sorrey! :eek: :eek:

aspeck

Staff member

Hunting season is upon us again and came across this post. Sure enjoyed reading it again.

gaugeguy

Captain

Wow, I forgot about this one...even has a couple pics of the fawns I have taken ;) <br /><br />When'd your season start Speck?

ebbtide176

Commander

my only hunting (these days) started 9/11 dove opening in N AL :) it was a great time. my bro outshot me, so he got in some good jabs, but it was great. and we got to gather a sackful of froglegs one night too. <br /><br />the only bad thing that happened was all the bites i got cleaning those frogs on the pickup tailgate, using flashlights, and i didn't realize i was standing in a fire ant mound...<br /><br />next mo i'm going to try castnetting some shrimp off the SC coast for the 1st time. :D

Carphunter

Commander

Hey, I snuck in here today, and saw this post on top. Man, I forgot about this one. I think I might have been crying on some of the earlier posts in this thread. :p <br /><br />The deer season here doesn't start til October 1st, but I was ready months ago.<br /><br />Ebb, gotta watch them fire ants! That sure don't sound to pleasant. :D