My Reasons for Hunting

mattttt25

Commander
Re: My Reasons for Hunting

neumanns- my post was meant to be lighthearted and not to elicit a debate. but.... it's not a sport in my definition. a sport, at least how it's used by most people, is a competitive activity between two parties, governed by rules. i'd argue it should occur on an equal playing field. football, baseball, track, hell... even checkers meets this definition. not hunting. you hide in a tree, line up a deer in your high powered scope, and blast away. like i said, the deer wasn't given the same tools, and he sure didn't know the rules you set!<br /><br />won't argue that hunting is wrong or anything like that. if you enjoy it, if you think it teaches you life lessons, if it enables you to explore the outdoors, whatever... then go hunt.

tylerin

Commander

http://www.ducks.org/ <br />Matttt I only bird hunt anymore, but here's a link you might be interested in. I believe you've met this guy. Sorry for getting off track Carp great post

NOSLEEP

Commander

Anyone that thinks hunting is not a sport has<br />never hunted before, and doesn't understand the <br />definition of sport. I dont mean to disagree,an<br />opinion is only that,"an opinion".<br />If you never rushed into a bush, adrenaline<br />pumping in hot pursuit of your game. <br />Your hunting partner dashing to cut off your <br />quarry and claim victories prize. <br />Well I guess you could call it ping pong that then<br />could not be considered a sport either. <br />You can learn alot about yourself when you have<br />to pack your fist animal out. Test yourself<br />beyond your boundaries. I guess being in the<br />military may have some similarities, and that is<br />not considered a sport. But despite their shared<br />experiences they are not the same.<br />You may call it anything you like. But rest <br />assured we sportsman consider it a sport, among<br />other things.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I hunt cause it is a great reason to get away from it all. If I get something or not, its not a big deal.<br /><br />As for the feeder near the stand, this is done as a time saver. Sure it is more thrilling to hunt in nature sitting in the woods, hoping to see something passing through. But in these modern times, we can only get away a couple of weekends, so we try to make it count. Having a blind and feeder improves the odds of seeing something. Also, with kids, a blind is really required as no 7 year old I know can sit still for more than 10 seconds!<br /><br />Ken

FLATHEAD

Captain

kenimpzoom I disagree about the feeder and blind set up. In Pennsylvania it is illegal. Woodsmanship is a huge part of hunting for me. Being able to read the lay of the land, knowing what natural things the game feeds on,the ability to read sign and use it to your advantage, plenty of pre season scouting, trying to figure out how the animal thinks, where he goes when its hot or cold where he wants to be when it rains, etc,etc, <br /><br />If all I had to do was sit over a feeder I probably wouldn't hunt. Not slamming you, just not my idea of a hunt.<br /><br />Feeder hunting just seems to fit in with our instant gratification society, Teaching a young hunter patience and the fact you have to work a little to reach your goals a will go a long way to help him throughout life.

gaugeguy

Captain

Good post Flathead. Also, teaching a youngster that every hunt is a success, whether you fill a tag or not. You learn something new every time in the woods.<br /><br />I do consider it a sport. Me against a very capable adversary. Me in a friendly competition with my hunting buddies. And the pure adrenaline rush, the shakes you get after making a good shot-it is hard to explain it to someone that has never experienced it. That rush is better than sex, it is that powerful.

oddjob

Commander

Your heart will pound!...and you feel as if you can't hear a danm thing...and you havnt seen any game yet! Thanks mattt...I dont have time to write this minute, but I think this is going to be a cool thread. I've got some short funny stories.<br /><br />I'm going hunting after christmas near Cocoa. I havnt been in about 3 years. Looking forward to it. If I dont get a deer Im sure to get a hog or two. I made a tree-stand 16 years ago. Sat on it 1 hr and aint been back to it since. Was a nice one though. I prefer to move around, unless my guide/scout/host/father recommends that I use one of his rival members stands that happen to be there win they are not. Nothing like going into woods in the black of not yet morning...get verbal instructions on where to go and how to get there...<br />("go a 100yds down this fire trail..you'll see a little swamp go east till you see a so and so..theres a big hog/deer there the other day")...Finding the place (in the dark)and the quarry...then finding the old man where he left me 3 hrs ago. Nothing looks the same in the day light. And down hear all the palms,canals,praries, hardwood hammocks look alike....<br /><br />Be back later... :)

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

I hunt cause my mom and dad were hunters, and even though they are gone on now, I feel close to them when I'm in the woods, and I have time to recall all the memories of us together.

Carphunter

Commander

Wow, got more of a response than I expected to this thread. <br /><br />ebb - Thanks. I get tired of all the political threads, thought a change of pace might do us all well. ;) <br /><br />Aspeck - I know you fully understand what I am talking about. You gotta love it. :D <br /><br />guageguy - I fully agree. I have seen many things like you have stated while hunting. I really feel "alive" while I am hunting.<br /><br />Kenny -
Glad to see those night classes in creative writting, have help you tremendously.
Hey man, if your gonna make fun of me, your sentence should have read, "Glad to see those night classes in creative writing , have helped you tremendously". Notice the corrections! :D <br />I'm just kiddin ya now. :p Keep working on your youngin, you'll be glad you did.<br /><br />JasonJ - I consider myself a trophy hunter, but I would never leave the carcass in the woods to fester, as you have stated. I can be a trophy hunter and still enjoy the venison. When I am deerhunting, I am trying to harvest the absolute largest Whitetail that I can, 99.9% of the time, I do not succeed, and that is fine.<br /><br />Unicorn - I have absolutely no problem with non-hunters whatsoever. I do have a problem with anti-hunters. There is a huge difference. Hunting is not for everyone, and I respect your right not to hunt. It kills me though when one of the anti's tries to convince me that what I am doing is wrong. The first question I ask them is "When was the last time you had a Big Mac, or a Whopper"? That poor little cow never had a chance. It was born and bred to be food for you. A deer is a wild, free roaming animal. It is not raised for food. It has an opportunity to survive. Its fate is not sealed from birth. Many more deer survive the hunting season than are harvested. Something you don't hear often.<br /><br />mattttt - If you have never "got into hunting", how can you even comment? Flahthead hit the nail on the head, except I believe the mature buck wins 95 to 98% of the time. At least the ones I hunt. :p If you have never hunted, then you have no clue how equal the competition is between the two parties.<br /><br />Skinnywater - Very well said. :) <br /><br />Nosleep, neumanns, and others - Glad to see I am not alone in my thinking. (For some reason, when I start a thread, I feel obligated to respond to everyone that responded. My typing finger was getting tired, so sorry if I didn't do it this time).<br /><br />Hope everyone had a productive hunting season, and heres hoping that you made some new memories that will last a lifetime. :)

mattttt25

Commander

carphunter- well, i fish a lot, know it's hard as hell, but don't consider it a sport either. for the bear that snags the trout out of the river with it's bare hands- surely a sport. not me with my boat, engine, fishfinder, gps, rod & reel, and sharp hooks. take care-

ehenry

Commander

Started huning with my Daddy when I was old enough to go. I don't believe in baiting of any type. I believe in going to the woods, looking for and reading the signs of what you are going after be it deer, squirrell, quail, turkey, ducks whatever. I feel that baiting is immoral and doesn't respect the animal at all. It's illeagal in Mississippi but there are those in the Mississippi senate and house that are lobbying for the leagalization of baiting. I personally feel that if its leagalized hutning will come down to the Have's and The Have Not's. It's almost that way now in trying to find land to hunt. I know doctors, laywers, corp executives, buisness owners, folks that make over 6 figure salaries that think nothing at all about buying 3 or more gain buggy's of shelled corn at the local grain elevator just to feed the deer to keep them from straying off their property then get fighting mad when one does stray off their property and someone else kills it. <br /><br />Hunting is fast becoming a rich man's sport, hobby, pastime whatever you choose to call it. For the average guy, which I assume most of us here are, hunting as we have known it will be a thing of the past. I'm one of the lucky few who's family own's land that we can and will continue to hunt and let others hunt that ask permission. Sorry for the rant.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Quote: " Being able to read the lay of the land, knowing what natural things the game feeds on,the ability to read sign and use it to your advantage, plenty of pre season scouting, trying to figure out how the animal thinks, where he goes when its hot or cold where he wants to be when it rains, etc,etc, "<br /><br />Again, all of this takes time, of which I have very little. I live in Houston and the nearest good hunting is AT LEAST a couple of hours drive.<br /><br />Plus hunting is not my main hobby, it is just one of the many I have. Plus I am married, so I doubt the wife would let me be away that much!!!<br /><br />Plus, even with the feeders and blinds I still havent taken one home this year, and my dad hasnt taken one in several!!<br /><br />Ken

NOSLEEP

Commander

Here in the great out doors. "Canada"<br />My main hunt of the year is a 12 hr drive from <br />from my home. And 3 to 4 hours for white tail<br />and mule deer.<br />Its a sacrifice every year to take the time off<br />work, especially when it can be a busy time of <br />year.<br />There are never any guaranties that the hunt will<br />be successful. And the cost can be hard to <br />justify the need. However I will hunt as long as<br />I can. Health permitting it will be into my late<br />70's. So I hope to have many years of great hunts<br />to go.

oddjob

Commander

mattt<br /><br />EDIT#2<br /><br />er...what Carp says... :)

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Hey Carp, glad you use the meat. Trophy hunting just seems like it would be better if you get to eat the spoils... :D <br /><br />Obviously a lot of hunters hunt for the same reason I fish, just to get away from "the world". I really enjoy being able to just go and do something that has no real purpose ( I am not excercizing, earning money, etc while doing it). I could care less if I actually catch anything (but its good when I do catch something), I just like being out there. That is the appeal hunting has for me, I just need to get off my buttox and get a rifle...

Carphunter

Commander

mattttt - As they say, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Our definition of the word "sport" differs, thats all. My "opinion" is that hunting IS very sporting. I come home empty handed many more times than I succeed. If it was as one sided as you say, this would not happen. A whitetail has far superior hearing, sight, and has a nose that would put a bloodhound to shame, so please don't assume that he is defenseless. The only advantage that we have over these creatures is our brain, which I question at times. :p <br /> <br />I would say that the bear that snags the trout from the river, is far more successful than the most experienced fisherman with his fishfinder, GPS, sharp hooks, ect, ect, ect. ;) <br /><br />Doesn't seem very "sporting" to me if I could just stand in the river, and grab these trout with my claws,...........seems much more "sporting" for me to present my bait to this fish in an attempt to get him to bite.<br /><br />"In my opinion" ;) <br /><br />Have a fine day.

Carphunter

Commander

efhenry, I agree, hunting is becoming a rich mans sport. If you don't hurry up and buy some land, or get a lease, you will be left behind. Unfortunately, I had to find this out the hard way.

Carphunter

Commander

Cmon guys, lets don't let this thread go south...........................unless the huntin is better down there. :D

ehenry

Commander

Careful on the going south!!!! ;) The hunting is pretty sporty down here. Hope to see the Bobwhite Quail make a come back. Thats what my Daddy started me out hunting with an old Stevens single shot .410. I sure miss Daddy, the dawg and me going out together, the anticipation of the covey rise when Ellie Mae was on point. :(

one more cast

Captain

Is hunting a sport? I never really thought about it and I really don't care what you call it. Its challanging, exciting, calming,fun,depressing,agrivating,and something I just enjoy doing. I like to hunt alone with almost full camo (I do wear a little color for safety) trying to outsmart my opponant (I will only take a shot if i'm comfident I can kill the animal) If you think its easy to shoot a deer out in the wild ,THINK AGAIN.