My new/old 1971 Starcraft SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephenatx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: My new/old 1971 SS

Halfmoa, the consoles are actually pretty easy to remove. Mine were secured with screws to the deck and nuts and bolts to the gunwale. I did remove the front seating first so that I could remove the wood panel that is secured to the front of the consoles. That was held on with rivets that had to be drilled out. After getting those panels off it was easy to remove the consoles. You also will need to disconnect your steering. I'm not sure exactly what the type of steering I have is called, but basically it looks like rack and pinion and there are four bolts that hold the two parts together. Again pretty simple to remove. Other than that you need to remove the windshield of course. on mine they were held on with three bolts that are rather strange looking. I will take a picture and post it for you. I have seen comments on different threads here in regards to when Star Craft went to the triple windshield. I think you will find that the common thought is 73 or 74. It's possible that somewhere in the past 40 years someone changed yours out. My parents had a 74 SS with the triple windshield and that is what I would like to convert mine to. The major difference other than the center windshield of course is that as I remember it theirs had an aluminum channel across the bottom of the windshield whereas mine just has a rubber gasket with no aluminum channel.View attachment 115992 This is what my parents boat looked like. I hope this helps, I am really still a novice on the rebuilding. Take time and read some of the other threads. Huron Angler has done a great job on his. Also there are alot of other threads that you can learn a lot from even though they may not be SS's. I have been following Jasoutside's, Yooperangler, and Paparoof and have learned a lot from them. Also ezmobee has a great thread on his rebuild and he is great about helping out anyone with comments.

Stephenatx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Speaking of ezmobee - ez I think I have seen where you have moved threads from here to Rebuilds and restorations, or that you know who can. I thought maybe mine should be moved there.

Stephenatx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Halfmoa, you should start a thread in the Starcraft forum and post pics of your boat. I noticed you had a thread about replacing your transom. Did you find out what you needed, if not again the guys on here have almost to a one replaced their transoms and there is a wealth of knowledge available.

halfmoa

Ensign

Typically I'd concede that the windshield was probably upgraded at some point by a previous owner but my wife's grandfather purchased it new in 72!

Insofar as a thread goes, our camera did some sunbathing on the beach and got some sand in her but as soon as I get it fixed I'll start. I drilled some test holes in the transom and it's dry so I'm calling that good. Too bad I've already started my rejuvenation. Replaced the dash panels without a before pic and I'm kicking myself!

Stephenatx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What are you needing in regards to the dash panels?

halfmoa

Ensign

The dash panels have been removed and replaced with pieces I made in my shop. What I need is before pics of my dash panels that I couldn't get due to my broken camera.:p You wouldn't believe what was on the port side....looked like something salvaged from a 1980's mobile home kitchen counter top with water damage that was headed to the scrap pile. Horrendous particle board laminate that would turn into shredded wheat cereal looking stuff at the slightest touch. My thread is coming, just have to get a camera. I'll have videos of my 1972 Johnson 65hp that shakes like a puppy passing a peach pit when you run it at no wake speed too! Maybe someone can assure me that it's just because of 40 years of use and the pivot is slightly worn.

Best of luck with your SS! They're great, aren't they?

Stephenatx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm not sure that the original dashboards were particle board, but I do know that they had thin fake woodgrain looking vinyl that looked like wallpaper. My parents had a 74 ss with e triple windshield, sliding doors under the splash well and a 70 horse evinrude. Spent many many hours in that fishing on lake of the woods, ontario. Introduced my kids to fishing in it too. I'm planning on restoring mine more or less to original. I have a 50 horse evinrude that also shakes pretty well when idling. Same question you have, is it just because it's old. You're 100% right, they are great.

halfmoa

Ensign

The port dash was most definately replaced by Gramps at some point. The starboard dash was the original ply wrapped with vinyl.

Man, I gotta get my camera going!

Stephenatx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have finally gotten to work on the boat again. SWMBO had all kinds of honeydo's for me to get ready for Christmas, and spent all most of our money. We had a great Christmas thoughts, lots of family and everyone had a great time. Anyway, I thought I would start by posting some Pictures. I thought I had posted some of these before, but looking back at the thread don't see them. Not sure if that is because of the problems the forum has been having or what. I guess I'm surprised the starmada hasn't been after me for pictures. Here's the boat. well I have just learned that trying to load pictures,from Photobucket on an iPad doesn't work. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so is there a work around? If not I guess I'll have to drag out the old laptop when I get home.:mad:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yes, I tried attaching pix 3 times tonight. 1 worked, 2 didn't. The photobucket route is easier for those of us trying to follow along. But compared to the ease of posting pix in a thread, I prefer the 'old' way, clicking a small pix & having it come up w/ a tab to page through the posts pix.... But the bigger imbedded photos is much easier to follow & compare photos quickly...

I'm not sure if the previously posted 'attachment' photos will be back......

Stephenatx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have gutted the boat and replaced the transom. Am working on stripping paint off the hull right now. Not going to bore everyone with pictures of the interior of the boat as it looks just like all of the other SS' on here. This might interest someone though.

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l586/stephenatxcalvert/photo3.jpg

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l586/stephenatxcalvert/photo.jpg

The, for lack of a better name, bow plate on my boat was dented and had a ton of holes in it. Began trying to fill the holes and dents with JB Weld, but was not satisfied with it. So I decided to contact a metal supply business in town and they had .06 Aluminum sheet and for the size piece I needed it was only $34.00. Bought a piece and cut it to shape with a metal blade in my jig saw. So now I have a nice undented, unholed bow plate.

Stephenatx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The other thing I did was to make a platform for the hull to sit on while upside down. My work are is unpaved so furniture dollies etc... wouldn't work. I saw that Harbor Freight had 8" tires on sale for $4.99 so bought four of them, four 8 foot 2x8 and some scrap plywood I had and made this.

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l586/stephenatxcalvert/photo10-3.jpg

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l586/stephenatxcalvert/photo10-3.jpg

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l586/stephenatxcalvert/photo7-3.jpg

My wife says it looks like a UFO, I call it my turtle :)

64osby

Admiral

St - Great idea on the All Terrain platform. Keep up the good work.

wlg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fun boats to work on. Mines a Sylvan, all the same. Are you going to make any major changes or keep it close to original?

Stephenatx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I want to make it as original as possible.

Otte

Petty Officer 1st Class

nice boat. you are flying.

Stephenatx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You're the one who is flying. I wish I was progressing as fast as you.

Status
Not open for further replies.