My new/old 1971 Starcraft SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephenatx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just purchased this 71 SS. Got it from a gentleman in Fayetville Arkansas for $800. Might be a little high for this, but Supersorts are pretty scarce here in Texas. The interior is mostly original and the 50 horse Evinrude supposedly runs great. My son picked it up for me today, so haven't actually laid eyes on it myself yet.
IMG_1222.jpgIMG_1221.jpgIMG_1220.jpgIMG_1218.jpgIMG_1217.jpg

i just hope I can come somewhere close to the excellent work I have seen done on here.

bunker108

Chief Petty Officer
Re: My new/old 1971 SS

Gotta love those SS's! I know what you mean...I probably overpaid too but not too
many of these in NM either. So when I found mine I grabbed it. I paid 1700 for mine if that makes you feel any better.

Good luck!

Brenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I dont think you over paid.Though I guess my view is a little jaded since I live near seattle and that same boat you got for 800 would be 2500 here and thats no exaggeration.

Brenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I dont think you over paid.Though I guess my view is a little jaded since I live near seattle and that same boat you got for 800 would be 2500 here and thats no exaggeration.

dozerII

Admiral

Isn't that the truth, would be the same or more up here in the great white north.

Great deal on a super boat.
Glen

Stephenatx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well here is my first request for help. Would someone with a SS post some closeup pictures of the center windshield? Mine does not have one. As I understand it, prior to 74 they didn't have the center windshield. My folks had a 74 with one, and it is so much nicer. I would like to try to fabricate one, or at the worst have one fabricated for me.

chuckndiscs

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well here is my first request for help. Would someone with a SS post some closeup pictures of the center windshield? Mine does not have one. As I understand it, prior to 74 they didn't have the center windshield. My folks had a 74 with one, and it is so much nicer. I would like to try to fabricate one, or at the worst have one fabricated for me.

Ill snap one for you tonight if I get at my boat. I also owe HA a pic of my steering wheel

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If we're considering $800 for that to be overpaying then we are getting WAY too bottom-feederish around here. That's a deal.

Skip the fabrication, start scouring ebay, craiglist, marine salvage yards for a nice used glass 3 piece windshield. With those flat gunwales and consoles, a fairly wide size range of shield should be able to be made to work. I found a great deal on a complete unit on ebay for my last boat.

Before:
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/Boat Project/09.jpg

After:
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/Boat Project/boat2.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/Boat Project/boat3.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

Welcome aboard Stephen, nice boat you've got there:)

I agree with EZ, I paid $1000 for mine and thought it was a pretty good deal since it was water-ready.

That 'Rude is a good match for the boat, unless you plan on water skiing. Should plane it out nicely and not guzzle to much fuel.

bunker108

Chief Petty Officer

I would take a picture of my center section but it wouldn't be worth the reference. It was home made and I am going to take it off as it doesn't fit well and is a little rough. It works but I will do without until I can make something better.

Jayb123

Chief Petty Officer

ya take it from me even.... I got my whole set up for close to that price. and I took a gamble on the motor working. It wasnt even water ready and the trailer needed 2 tires. Im a super bottom feeder. So you got a great deal. :D

Stephenatx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, it feels good to have people tell me I did OK on the deal. My son has a 9.9 Johnson short shaft he is going to give me a good deal on, and he just bought a new min Kota trolling motor, and is going to donate his old one to me. It has autopilot, although it is not working right now, (the autopilot)' but maybe I can get it working.

Brenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, it feels good to have people tell me I did OK on the deal. My son has a 9.9 Johnson short shaft he is going to give me a good deal on, and he just bought a new min Kota trolling motor, and is going to donate his old one to me. It has autopilot, although it is not working right now, (the autopilot)' but maybe I can get it working.

A good deal? man you need to give him the im your father guilt trip and get it for free,lol.

Stephenatx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LOL, knowing my son that is probably what will happen anyway. Just trying to play nice.

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

I also have a 1971 Starcraft Supersport 16ft....It did not have the center windshield ether ...my windshield had scratches, cracks. etc... was about to replace with Lexan from the local hardware/lumber yard when I found a replacement
windshield on CL...$150 ...complete windshield with the center windshield and consoles... came off of a 1976 or 1977 Starcraft 16ft SS ... looks like the windshield is a little shorter and sloped/raked back alittle more than the original
windshield...the guy selling it was fixing up his Starcraft for fishing and did not want it in the way......:D
I have not installed the windshield on my boat...pics below are of original older windshield...the replacement windshield does not have all the snap clips on the edge of the windshield frame like the original....
I only found snap clips on the bottom of the center windshield...will post pics in a few days when I get the chance/time

Attachments

• MY BOAT 6 13 09 E RESIZED.JPG
    MY BOAT 6 13 09 E RESIZED.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 1
  • MY BOAT JOHNSON TROLLING MOTOR J RESIZED.jpg
    MY BOAT JOHNSON TROLLING MOTOR J RESIZED.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 0
  • MY BOAT JOHNSON TROLLING MOTOR P RESIZED.jpg
    MY BOAT JOHNSON TROLLING MOTOR P RESIZED.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 3707.jpg
    3707.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

In the first pic is a side profile of the old windshield (1971)...in the 2nd pic is the replacement from a 1976 or 1977, not sure which... in front of the old one...you can see the slight change in height and pitch/slope
also include pics of door..more pics of door in next reply

Attachments

• MY BOAT WINDSHIELD B RESIZED.jpg
    MY BOAT WINDSHIELD B RESIZED.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 0
  • MY BOAT WINDSHIELD A RESIZED.jpg
    MY BOAT WINDSHIELD A RESIZED.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 0
  • MY BOAT WINDSHIELD C RESIZED.jpg
    MY BOAT WINDSHIELD C RESIZED.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 0
  • MY BOAT WINDSHIELD D RESIZED.jpg
    MY BOAT WINDSHIELD D RESIZED.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 0

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

more windshield door pics...hope this helps:D

Attachments

• MY BOAT WINDSHIELD E RESIZED.jpg
    MY BOAT WINDSHIELD E RESIZED.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 0
  • MY BOAT WINDSHIELD F RESIZED.jpg
    MY BOAT WINDSHIELD F RESIZED.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 0

Stephenatx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the pictures of the windshield. Not sure yet what I am going to do about it. I guess I will continue to search for an original 16 ft Super Sport windshield while I restore the boat. Got the boat home from my son's on the 14th. Unfortunately had to go back to work the next day. I did work on it a little on Monday night. Got the side panels off, took off davits, back light, trim pieces etc.... Found sheets of thin foam behind the trim pieces. Haven't seen or heard anyone else on here mentioning finding foam there so I was wondering if anyone had any opinion on whether it was original to the boat or not. Drilled out rivets and pulled up one section of the decking tonight. The decking is actually in pretty fair condition. Found what I think is original foam under the decking. It is mostly in large blocks approximately 12" wide by about 3" thick. The foam was completely dry so may reuse some of it, unless someone has an opinion on why I shouldn't. From what I can see of the ribs and stringers so far it looks like things are in pretty good shape. I know everyone likes pictures so will try to post some this weekend. Oh, also when I got a look at the paperwork for the boat I found out the boat is a 70 model and the trailer is 71. I guess I probably should have started this thread in the restoration thread,

Status
Not open for further replies.