My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Re: My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

I am Mucho-impressed with Gator finishing disks (used in a 4 1/2" grinder)! (12/31/2013 EDIT: Do not use gator disks on this surface! I had to replace the adapter plate due to very subtle dishing. Use razor blades & acetone. The longer Irwin blades work best. It takes longer but it preserves the true surface & the machining which gives you a better seal on the gasket.)

Excellent at removing gasket residue from the powerhead & exhaust adapter surfaces (use the Fine for this!!).

Stripping 2 layers of paint? Pishaw...and this is with the fine pad (prep for fixing the damage):

I can't wait to see what the "Course" Gator disk leaves in its wake!

After stripping the paint, treated the area with West Systems Alum Etch / passivation followed by a healthy smathering of JB.

Once I get this smoothed-out, its getting capped with 0.090" aluminum.

Last edited:

SigSaurP229

Commander

Gator discs are awesome the coarse ones definetly make a mess I ended up using a few of them to remove decals

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class

I really like this rebuild so far.

We have some similarities with the hull holes. Mine was so bad I had a contact through a friend tig weld her.

I like your OB work. Can't wait to see more!

classiccat

I really like this rebuild so far.

We have some similarities with the hull holes. Mine was so bad I had a contact through a friend tig weld her.

I like your OB work. Can't wait to see more!

Thanks DH!!!

I've been following your thread as well. That was a really nice weld job! I'm apprehensive since I don't know a good welder and this is a weak-point for this particular hull without the chine support...at least not yet :cool:

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks DH!!!

I've been following your thread as well. That was a really nice weld job! I'm apprehensive since I don't know a good welder and this is a weak-point for this particular hull without the chine support...at least not yet :cool:

Yeah watching someone tig weld was interesting. I was surprised at how many things are going on while performing that kind of welding.

Is your plan to put a piece of aluminum brace behind that? Something to hold that gap open to possibly keep it from flexing?

classiccat

Yeah watching someone tig weld was interesting. I was surprised at how many things are going on while performing that kind of welding.

Is your plan to put a piece of aluminum brace behind that? Something to hold that gap open to possibly keep it from flexing?

I already patched the hole with JB (and blended it to match) so that it provides additional support to the external brace that I'm currently attempting to fabricate. The tricky part (at least for me) is matching the radius of the curve; it's not a simple angle.

I'll plan to add chine braces periodically on the inside to prevent flexing.

classiccat

Hey my SC peeps...hope that everyone had a great weekend!

Not as much progress on the hull as I would've liked. I was hoping to bring the hammer down and pound-out that port-side hull kink.

My 1st attempt at making a jig to fab reinforcements for the keel and integrated chine (I give this a new name every week) has failed...it was more of a feasibility run to test the malleability of 0.09" aluminum... Undoubtedly going to need some bigger guns!

2nd layer of JB curing...forming that radius in the Al cap is proving to be a challenge for me:

The 'Rude is broken-down as far as she'll allow. I wanted to remove the tilt tube however both nuts are recessed/captive inside of the stern brackets and the cylinder pins aren't budging. I say, "good enough." After some sanding, these parts will be ready for ZC, primer and paint.

You may have noticed 2 exhaust housings. I got a "new" one for fifty bucks! The decal is nearly perfect therefore the plan is to tape-it off for painting.

Here's an excerpt from a FSM (see step-6):

9 thousandths is the maximum spec...my housing was off by at least 70 thousandths. ...and they do warn of driveshaft & crankshaft damage so I feel better that my paranoia was justified :lol:

SigSaurP229

Commander

She is looking awesome, I can't wait to see your rebuild as thorough as you are being, its looking really good bluefin, you may beat me to the finish line man, especially if I keep taking weekends off.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Is the new housing in spec, Blue?

Do you need a bigger BFH for the reinforcements for the keel and integrated chine? A BBFH?

classiccat

She is looking awesome, I can't wait to see your rebuild as thorough as you are being, its looking really good bluefin, you may beat me to the finish line man, especially if I keep taking weekends off.

Thanks Sig! I think once I finish bracing the chines, I'll have turned a corner...but that could be months. I'm in no hurry; perhaps one of the perks of MBS :lol:

You've gotta take some time off Sig! You've been hitting your project (along w/ several others) pretty hard!

Is the new housing in spec, Blue?

Do you need a bigger BFH for the reinforcements for the keel and integrated chine? A BBFH?

variation in the new housing is well within-spec per my "instruments of measurement". :D I can't detect any variation. Another clue is that the inside wasn't caked with exhaust residue. I'm guessing its prior owner didn't use the OB as a shallow-water alarm.

I've thought of BFH-ing...I need to spend some time researching how to form metal...or find someone that will extrude these parts for a reasonable $$.

SigSaurP229

Commander

Thanks Sig! I think once I finish bracing the chines, I'll have turned a corner...but that could be months. I'm in no hurry; perhaps one of the perks of MBS :lol:

You've gotta take some time off Sig! You've been hitting your project (along w/ several others) pretty hard!

variation in the new housing is well within-spec per my "instruments of measurement". :D I can't detect any variation. Another clue is that the inside wasn't caked with exhaust residue. I'm guessing its prior owner didn't use the OB as a shallow-water alarm.

I've thought of BFH-ing...I need to spend some time researching how to form metal...or find someone that will extrude these parts for a reasonable $$.

Thanks Chris,

I have MBS as well but unforunately both are drydocked as the toon still isn't running right even after installing the new fuel pump, and line. I figure we have fought with mechanics for two years on this boat and it is always the same freaking problem they all want to blame the VRO pump even though the VRO has been disabled for two years.

So I am going to check compression the motor was rebuilt two years ago to .30 over to make sure our compression is good. Then I am going to check spark just to make sure.

Freaking mechanic wanted $1300 to convert to a NON VRO pump. A quick trip on ebay $70 and 4 days later the new (old style) fuel pump and bracket were installed and ready to rock. Now I am removing the fuel water separator that a mechanic said was neccessary, I am putting all new fuel lines and primer bulbs in it. I am going to remove and fully clean the gas tank and vent lines. Then I am going to rebuild and resynch the carbs on it. If that doesn't fix it the motor will be at the bottom of Douglas Lake, or I am gonna take a page from Ga's book and just BFH it.

But I am sincerely excited to see your rebuild, mine has basically become a 2nd job that I enjoy.

classiccat

Freaking mechanic wanted $1300 to convert to a NON VRO pump.

:eek:! did he have the decimal point in the wrong place? :lol: usually it's a pretty straightforward conversion.

did you start a thread on the J/E forum?

GA_Boater

Hey Blue - Do you have a sheet metal shop around. They should be able to shear the AL to size and bend it in a brake to the right angle.

Then you don't have to worry about BFHing your :thumb:. :)

classiccat

Hey Blue - Do you have a sheet metal shop around. They should be able to shear the AL to size and bend it in a brake to the right angle.

Then you don't have to worry about BFHing your :thumb:. :)

Thats a good suggestion GaB!! They could probably do this in their sleep.

Better yet, I live 5min of Orange County Choppers! Paul Sr. can form them in his arm pits!

GA_Boater

If he can't or won't do it, tell him Jr. quoted you 10 bucks out the door. With flames and chromed. :laugh:

SigSaurP229

Commander

:eek:! did he have the decimal point in the wrong place? :lol: usually it's a pretty straightforward conversion.

did you start a thread on the J/E forum?

Nah I already knew how to do it and laughed in his face. Sorry guys no funny WCC comments here. I missed that fad.

classiccat

If he can't or won't do it, tell him Jr. quoted you 10 bucks out the door. With flames and chromed. :laugh:

better yet, he'll be inspired to do an iboats.com themed chopper...sporting 2 chrome props...one on each tail-pipe staying true to thru-hub exhaust :rolleyes:

Nah I already knew how to do it and laughed in his face. Sorry guys no funny WCC comments here. I missed that fad.

I usually watch it to see if they drive past my house on the show :lol:

SigSaurP229

Commander

better yet, he'll be inspired to do an iboats.com themed chopper...sporting 2 chrome props...one on each tail-pipe staying true to thru-hub exhaust :rolleyes:

I usually watch it to see if they drive past my house on the show :lol:

Then send em' a bill for having your house on TV yes its dirty but hey I have a nasty boating habit to pay for $1300.00 at a time.