My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Re: My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

I think i've found the final skeleton in this hull's closet.

Notice the bottom hull is bent near the port-side chine.
Port (bad; see the gaps under each of the rib ends):

Starboard (good; nice and flat)

I'm guessing that this boat will have a tendancy to pull to the left...also guessing that it's from the Hull's weight being supported disproportionately by the port roller-bunk instead of the keel rollers.

Personally I'm leaning towards leaving well-enough alone...despite the fact that it's going to bug the carp out of me :eek:! This seems to be a vulnerable part of the hull and more flexing here may cause stress cracks down the road. I suppose I could remove all of the port-side rivets in the ribs, attempt to bend it back into place, add reinforcement aluminum (backed w/ 5200) and re-rivet the ribs through the support. This is a fishing boat and it's been like this before the PO even got it (notice the epoxy is under the rib ends) and nothing cracked with 20+ years of hard use & abuse.

Would any of you attempt to fix this?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Are the ribs bent, BF? You might take a 2X4 over a couple of ribs at a time near the chine and whack it with a BFH. If there is no change after a couple of hits, call it done and live with it.

classiccat

With all the wheels you're set for a backseat driver and one on a kids seat. :) Either the SC or the "sports car" wheel look tons better than the original.

Oh yeah, the hot-rod wheel looks/feels better in person...substantial SS spokes and a thick rubber grip...very pleased!

Are the ribs bent, BF? You might take a 2X4 over a couple of ribs at a time near the chine and whack it with a BFH. If there is no change after a couple of hits, call it done and live with it.

the ribs seem straight; the bend begins at the rivets. you're idea sounds like alot of fun :lol: when I flip the hull, I'll have to support it by the ribs rather than the gunwales...at least for the port side.

I can think of a few more things that I'd like to hit with a BFH :lol:

GA_Boater

I just went back and looked at your pic from the bottom, with the PO "patch/goop" over the end rivets. I would try the BFH, once any way, before the flip. The rib looks pushed up to the inside, so I would BFH it from inside to push it back where it belongs.

barato2

Commander

GA creates a new verb......;)

SigSaurP229

Commander

I tried to send you a PM about the steering wheel that originally came on your Starcraft but your box is full :grumpy:

classiccat

I tried to send you a PM about the steering wheel that originally came on your Starcraft but your box is full :grumpy:

sorry Sig! that thing fills up fast! pm on-the-way!

classiccat

Somethin's been buggin' me about the way the LU mated with the exhaust housing...it was slightly misaligned by ~ 1/16".

I dropped the leg...measured...stared...literally grabbed a milk crate and stared into the exhaust housing...then it finally hit me (shot from when I pulled the leg the 1st time)

The bad news is that it looks like a warped inner exhaust housing (won't know until full disassembly).

The good news is that I found a good lookin' replacement housing for 14 bucks and now I won't have to use as much masking tape to paint the OB :lol:

dozerII

Admiral

There's always something ready to set a guy back BF.

classiccat

There's always something ready to set a guy back BF.

It certainly feels that way Glen. I'm starting to wonder if the eBay seller forgot a zero in their asking price...they already gave me positive feedback so here's to $23 shipped :thumb:

Hopefully this is the last time that I'm boring you guys with OB troubles!

OB's are great rainy-day projects (when you don't have a SC Hanger :)) making this the perfect weekend.

now off to the local 'Rude dealer for some fuel line and a pep-talk :lol:

classiccat

Went into the long weekend with intentions of firing-up the Engine and testing some new Farias...

A lower unit / exhaust housing misalignment got the better of me as I had to find why the inner exhaust housing wasn't centered in the outer housing.

With a little help of a big ~ hammer (we'll be seeing him again soon):

and "Popeye", off with its head!

Ol' Rude didn't go down without a fight...machined surfaces have sharp teeth:

...lesson learned through this: scrubbing ink off of brush burns doesn't exactly tickle either

It turns out that the inner exhaust is true with the powerhead/adapter...it's actually the outer housing thats skewed.

Well..at least I know and I'll now be able to put a proper paint job on this motor...once I extract a broken motor mount bolt...

I don't like the exhaust tube being misaligned w/ the LU...who knows how long its been like this. I might not be getting a proper seal and if I'm not mistaken, it will result in a lean condition (lack of backpressure?). I'm also wondering if this causes premature wear on the the driveshaft seal & bearing. A "new" external housing is likely in our future.

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Glad you seem to have narrowed down your bent stuff... Also glad that part you have didn't break the bank either. I've had it happen the other way.. I rarely buy a part without knowing what the broken part is anymore due to that.....
Great progress btw...

SigSaurP229

Commander

Congrats on chipping away at it bluefin, slowly but surely buddy you do now have a few extra $$ in your paypal acct to go towards that exhaust housing though.

classiccat

Glad you seem to have narrowed down your bent stuff... Also glad that part you have didn't break the bank either. I've had it happen the other way.. I rarely buy a part without knowing what the broken part is anymore due to that.....
Great progress btw...

yeah, if it would've cost as much as the others I've found online, I would've pulled it apart before ordering...but for this price I doubled-down and tipped the waitress :D who knows, maybe I can turn a buck or 2.

Congrats on chipping away at it bluefin, slowly but surely buddy you do now have a few extra $$ in your paypal acct to go towards that exhaust housing though.

Thanks Sig! I promise that I'm done whining about my outboard...although your guess is as good as mine whether or not I pull the cylinder head and exhaust cover now that the powerhead is off :twitch:

I'm working on a homemade brake-press for pressing the chine & keel patches. Plus, GaB is dying to see some carnage from the BFH :smash:

GA_Boater

yeah, if it would've cost as much as the others I've found online, I would've pulled it apart before ordering...but for this price I doubled-down and tipped the waitress :D who knows, maybe I can turn a buck or 2.

Thanks Sig! I promise that I'm done whining about my outboard...although your guess is as good as mine whether or not I pull the cylinder head and exhaust cover now that the powerhead is off :twitch:

I'm working on a homemade brake-press for pressing the chine & keel patches. Plus, GaB is dying to see some carnage from the BFH :smash:

What! Mention the BFH a couple of times for valid reasons and how I'm unfairly labeled the Head Knocker. :facepalm::lol:

classiccat

What! Mention the BFH a couple of times for valid reasons and how I'm unfairly labeled the Head Knocker. :facepalm::lol:

Well deserved my friend! It's been posted on Urban Dictionary for more than a decade however you "Verbed" it! Masterpiece!!! :hail:

InMotion

Commander

Good stuff man... nice trouble shooting. That kind of issue can drive you mad!!! Well done.

J.

GA_Boater

Well deserved my friend! It's been posted on Urban Dictionary for more than a decade however you "Verbed" it! Masterpiece!!! :hail:

The term BFH (noun) has been in use for longer than any of us have been around. It is easier to say than "beat the living sXXt out of it". :lol:

classiccat

Good stuff man... nice trouble shooting. That kind of issue can drive you mad!!! Well done.

J.

You're not kidding Jim. It drove me nuts....tight especially around the forward end of the LU however I measured everything 10x and verified that I had ample clearance. when I put 2x2 together (exhaust socket is centered while the inner exhaust tube is not), i did one of these: :facepalm:

classiccat

After several days of dreadful weather, we were blessed with a picture-perfect Memorial day. Pool temperatures reached 64-degrees but this didn't stop the Admiral's Apprentice and the other neighborhood kids from taking a dip :eek:

Without warning to anyone, I made a "feasibility" BFH swing to see if we can correct Port-side hull kink. Blood curdling screams from the kiddos ensued and Max (avatar) scrambled for cover (Admiral's lawn chair) with his tail between his legs.

Needless to say, the Admiral shut-down the operation after about 10 swings...but we did make some progress:

Before:

After:

It's not much and I'm going to have to wait until the Admiral is running errands & pull the boat into the garage if I'm to continue having a healthy relationship with the neighbors. :lol: I think it would be more effective if I carefully apply heat to the area.