My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Re: My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

Another week of chipping away (sometimes literally!) at the project.

There's been a slight delay in crankin'-up the 'Rude dawg!

The controller is getting a little make-over after having a pair of stubborn bolts extracted.

Before:

After priming (needs another 12hrs to dry before gloss topcoat):

I added a new ignition switch & in the process, added leads for the tach (this rig never had one), a kill switch (never had one of these either) and accessories (for monitoring cranking batter voltage & rectifier output):

I put my "Murphy" hat on and my right hand automatically grabbed for a 7/16 to pop-open the thermostat cover. The bottom pressure relief valve isn't seated on what's left of the grommet...so I'm again waiting on parts.

some corrosion:

classiccat

I think i've finally turned the corner on removing what I believe is antifouling epoxy from the inside. I believe this was left-over from when a PO put it on the outside..oblivious to the fact that it contains copper :facepalm:

The bow area forward of the 1st rib was completely filled with the stuff...including the first 2 limber holes....nothing a chisel, butter-knife, hammer, perseverance and an iron-will couldn't fix!

Looking ahead to what's in store for me when I flip it, I decided to do a closer inspection of the bottom.

I see a hook/dent in the hull between the 1st and 2nd rib. I'll intend on leaving that alone as I don't believe that this will effect performance/tracking.

Also notice the PO rivet repairs before & after the most recent "paint job".

Lastly, I've decided to not have anything welded (keel and spray rail). I purchased a sheet of 0.090 6061 aluminum sheet...from which I plan to fabricate reinforcing patches & fasten around the damage. Rivets on the Keel and 10-24/nylon lock-nuts on the strake...gobbed-up with 5200 + JB to feather the edges. Once I flip, you'll see what I'm blabbing about.

Thanks for stopping by!

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You're quite thorough. This boat was lucky you bought it.

baldtire

Cadet

Have same boat. Owned it since 1976. Here are some idea pics.Gunwale cover deck.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Dedicated work, BF. Looks like you're fixing plenty of PO better ideas. :facepalm: I did notice one thing you did wrong. It's not advisable to use the Admiral's silverware for limber hole cleaning. :fish: And you run the risk of :crutch:. :)

classiccat

Dedicated work, BF. Looks like you're fixing plenty of PO better ideas. I did notice one thing you did wrong. It's not advisable to use the Admiral's silverware for limber hole cleaning. And you run the risk of. :)

Thanks GaB! I keep reminding myself that this work was done Pre-internet. Faced with the decision: 1.) Library or 2.) Catfishing, I have a pretty good sense of which direction he went @ that crossroad!

Ugh, the kitchen utensils... I knew I'd get 'ribbed' for that one :watermelon:

Have same boat. Owned it since 1976. Here are some idea pics.View attachment 193628
Yep! seen it a few posts back :cool: No raised rear-deck for us since we mainly fish big rivers off-of-stern however I do plan to recreate the sliding/ventilated splashwell doors...i was eyeballing some stamped aluminum sheet at the hardware store this past week...@ $20, it was window-shopping only!

You're quite thorough. This boat was luck you bought it.
Thanks EZ! I'm thinking of starting a foundation: SPCT (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Tinnies). :lol:

barato2

Commander

might be a LOT of previous owners the Society would be needin to pay a visit to:eek:

we got nothin agin the silverware-as-tools plan. i think he was saying the Admiral might.....

classiccat

might be a LOT of previous owners the Society would be needin to pay a visit to:eek:

we got nothin agin the silverware-as-tools plan. i think he was saying the Admiral might.....

The Admiral would be relieved that I didn't grab a serrated steak knife...

...in my former/brief career as an industrial electrician, the first-aid kit was relocated from the foreman's office to my work bench!

SigSaurP229

Commander

Don't feel bad Bluefin, I accidently epoxied a foam roller to the admiral's favorite measuring cup

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

Lookin good! I have that same power pilot, I didnt even think about cleaning/painting it like that great idea. Now that my boats coming together all new and clean, i'm starting to notice what a beat up grease pit my motor and controls are:facepalm::laugh:

Looks like your doing really nice clean work on the motor.

I've actually never used JB weld, but if its doesn't sand and paint well, check out marine tex putty, I cant say enough about that stuff, I was just so impressed how it bridged gaps with fiberglass tape, sanded, painted and you really can't tell it was ever touched.

edit: I mean for that patch you mentioned... by the way what did the aluminum cost you? I could only find .044 thickness locally.

dozerII

Admiral

Looking good BF16, lots of attention to detail.

classiccat

Don't feel bad Bluefin, I accidently epoxied a foam roller to the admiral's favorite measuring cup

The question is: did you know that it was her favorite before you started pumping it full of resin? :lol:

Lookin good! I have that same power pilot, I didnt even think about cleaning/painting it like that great idea. Now that my boats coming together all new and clean, i'm starting to notice what a beat up grease pit my motor and controls are:facepalm::laugh:

Looks like your doing really nice clean work on the motor.

I've actually never used JB weld, but if its doesn't sand and paint well, check out marine tex putty, I cant say enough about that stuff, I was just so impressed how it bridged gaps with fiberglass tape, sanded, painted and you really can't tell it was ever touched.

edit: I mean for that patch you mentioned... by the way what did the aluminum cost you? I could only find .044 thickness locally.
those power pilot controls are pretty straightforward if you wanted to tear it down, clean and relube. Just be cautious of the spring-loaded detent ball...that spring is no-joke! Also I couldn't find any replacement transfers for the dummy-labels (toggle for full choke, etc.) so tape them.

I didn't look locally but rather went straight to fleabay. I think I paid $40+shipping for a 2'x4' sheet; I'm going to refab the consoles as well. I have no idea if this is competitive...figure for the convenience & the fact that I'm not using a welder, it's $$ well spent! :lol: watch your inbox.

Looking good BF16, lots of attention to detail.
Thanks Glen! you've set the bar pretty high!!! :cool:

SigSaurP229

Commander

The question is: did you know that it was her favorite before you started pumping it full of resin? :lol:

those power pilot controls are pretty straightforward if you wanted to tear it down, clean and relube. Just be cautious of the spring-loaded detent ball...that spring is no-joke! Also I couldn't find any replacement transfers for the dummy-labels (toggle for full choke, etc.) so tape them.

I didn't look locally but rather went straight to fleabay. I think I paid $40+shipping for a 2'x4' sheet; I'm going to refab the consoles as well. I have no idea if this is competitive...figure for the convenience & the fact that I'm not using a welder, it's $$ well spent! :lol: watch your inbox.

Thanks Glen! you've set the bar pretty high!!! :cool:

Ummm I am male didn't realize that there really was a difference, two of them in the kitchen looked exactly the same. Apparently one was her favorite. OOOPPPPSSS guess which one I picked.

On a side note did you know you will break a tempered glass measuring cup before you can break the epoxy bond between a foam roller saturated with epoxy and said measuring cup.

It really was pretty neat but please don't tell the admiral I said so. :lol:

barato2

Commander

intriguing window into materials technology there. not to mention domestic relations.

i'm a slob; i just used empty to-go salsa tubs (4 oz) for measuring and empty soup cans to mix it in. then i got smart and bought a set of the measuring pumps and life has been good ever since. might be the only thing i've done right on this resto.

barato2

Commander

SS, you got me reading up on epoxy. an item from the wikipedia page we should all keep in mind:

One particular risk associated with epoxy resins is sensitization. The risk has been shown to be more pronounced in epoxy resins containing low molecular weight epoxy diluents.[12] Exposure to epoxy resins can, over time, induce an allergic reaction. Sensitization generally occurs due to repeated exposure (e.g. through poor working hygiene and/or lack of protective equipment) over a long period of time. Allergic reaction sometimes occurs at a time which is delayed several days from the exposure. Allergic reaction is often visible in the form of dermatitis, particularly in areas where the exposure has been highest (commonly hands and forearms). Epoxy use is a main source of occupational asthma among users of plastics.[13] Bisphenol A, which is used to manufacture a common class of epoxy resins, is a known endocrine disruptor.

guess i need to be a bit better about wearing the gloves.

classiccat

Ummm I am male didn't realize that there really was a difference, two of them in the kitchen looked exactly the same. Apparently one was her favorite. OOOPPPPSSS guess which one I picked.

brave man...roulette with a 2-shooter :eek:

SS, you got me reading up on epoxy. an item from the wikipedia page we should all keep in mind:

...and this is before cutting it with xylene :lol:

SigSaurP229

Commander

One particular risk associated with epoxy resins is sensitization. The risk has been shown to be more pronounced in epoxy resins containing low molecular weight epoxy diluents.[12] Exposure to epoxy resins can, over time, induce an allergic reaction. Sensitization generally occurs due to repeated exposure (e.g. through poor working hygiene and/or lack of protective equipment) over a long period of time. Allergic reaction sometimes occurs at a time which is delayed several days from the exposure. Allergic reaction is often visible in the form of dermatitis, particularly in areas where the exposure has been highest (commonly hands and forearms). Epoxy use is a main source of occupational asthma among users of plastics.[13] Bisphenol A, which is used to manufacture a common class of epoxy resins, is a known endocrine disruptor.

I had no intentions of returning the measuring cup to the kitchen. The admiral works at a Doctors office so I always stay WELL stocked in gloves and use them.

classiccat

Remote control is finished and now equipped with a new ignition switch, tach wiring, kill switch and voltage monitoring.

I drilled 4 small holes in the plastic grommet to pass the wires...this keeps them out-of-the way of the shift cables.

New thermostat & pressure relief valves went-in without a hitch:

You may recall that I've been in the market for a replacement wheel; the middle wheel is what came with the boat. I settled on a vintage starcraft wheel (top-right) and as soon as I sent payment, I found EXACTLY what I was looking for (top-left)...can't believe that I was the only bidder for $27!

classiccat

Plan/sequence going forward:
  1. I'm almost finished with inside epoxy removal; need to chisel-around a few more rivets and do a final clean-up of the limber holes.
  2. SS wirewheel the inner hull
  3. scotchbright / handcleaner the hull
  4. neutralize then passivate (I have what I believe is the West Systems version of Alumaprep 33...phosphoric acid wash followed by a chromic acid wash.
  5. fill-in pitting with marine-tex
  6. flip and strip the paint to uncover all of the PO band-aids.
  7. repair/reinforce the damaged keel (trailer keel roller damage)
  8. repair/reinforce the side chine (trailer guide-on damage)
  9. flip back over
  10. install chine bracing (still undecided on exactly how...hoping for some feedback in the Resto section; so far the thread has been quiet)
  11. leak-test
  12. repair leaks
  13. gluv-it the inside rivets/seams...will seem weird putting in epoxy after spending weeks removing epoxy :lol:
  14. flip to expose bottom for prep/paint!!!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

With all the wheels you're set for a backseat driver and one on a kids seat. :) Either the SC or the "sports car" wheel look tons better than the original.