My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
I have been keeping up with all your post.. You do amazing work.:rockon:
You must have a lot of electrical back ground experience along with many others.

Thank you Decker! Your build is looking pretty awesome as well! Splashing this year?

I do have an electrical background... from helping dad fish wires back when I was in elementary school to my time working as an industrial electrician (while an undergrad) in the early/mid 90's (steel coil & bar processing cells). I'm now an electrical engineer but specialize on things much smaller (semiconductors)...so refreshing to work on things that I can see without using an electron microscope. :lol:

I wanna know if the bus ran him over, it stops too soon. :eek:

GaB... rather than us spoil the ending, for your quarantine-viewing pleasure :lol:

MV5BMTUwYjczNmItYzczNS00MDQwLTkxNDctN2MwYzI5YzhmNGU4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

classiccat

Not able to schedule an appointment? I was able to do that for my drivers license, but that was a couple weeks ago.

Boat is coming along nicely!!

Thanks coosv! When do you drag home your next project??!! :hungry:

According to the NY DMV website:
  • ALERT: All Licenses, Non Driver ID's, and Registrations with an expiration date of March 1, 2020 or later are extended. Inspections due March 31st and later are extended until further notice.
  • ALERT: All DMV Offices are closed and road tests are suspended until further notice, and Traffic Violation Bureaus are adjourned until further notice. All reservations have been cancelled. You can still do most transactions online.
  • ALERT: As DMV responds to the impact of COVID-19, the processing of some transactions and the provision of some services may be delayed. Thank you for your understanding.

Nice, clean work classiccat!
Thanks brother MN! Hopefully my work gets slimy sometime this season!

classiccat

Keepin' busy in the garage...trying to social distance but now that it's spring, neighbors keep coming buy dropping stuff for me to service &/or repair :lol:. Everyone keeps their distance and it's resto $$$ so no complaints here! (I still need to buy a bow-mount trolling motor).

I hit a minor roadblock trying to fit this big old Humminbird in this little console.

I bought one of these ram mounts but didn't like how high it stood.
2OfLy4t.jpg

^^^ Nice thing about the 'zon is returns are super easy.

So I put the screen front-and center of the wheel... but wanted it to be parallel with the windshield (OCD)...so I fabbed up this oak spacer:
LxK7mH2.jpg

slopped it up with varnish, laid down a layer of n-butyl tape and the old 'Bird is right at home:
2l8Dshi.jpg

B2cwR7h.jpg

BRRt8aY.jpg

classiccat

Now for some splashwell work.

The top trim was anodized and beat-up / corroded.

Nothin' 2 passes of ez-off oven cleaner couldn't handle:

qbhYgLU.jpg

I actually had to do some sanding upto 1000g, then hit it with zephyr buffs...and sealed with sharkhyde.

YL3kgw5.jpg

I also gave the rivet heads a hand polish (with sharkhyde polish compound).

pWV147Y.jpg

Sidenote: with a polished hull, i can do the same if i want to rivet something to the exterior hull skin in the future...no paint matching required.

fBVJGVt.jpg

the outermost splashwell door tracks also got sanded, zephyr polished and sealed.
wdeAIqW.jpg

^^^ We'll install those later.

classiccat

I originally planned on using a battery box / strap for the cranking battery but immediately changed my mind when i saw much the box moves regardless of how tight you strap that sucker down.

New epoxy plug time.

1st drill pilot holes followed by a forstner bit.
Mu3jrx5.jpg

since my foam comes up pretty much to the bottom of the deck, i cut an oversized piece of closed cell foam:
WRUaseF.jpg

compress it and push it down (I used a punch):
2PTmzio.jpg

BLQif2S.jpg

wet the sides of the holes with epoxy:
LdnOsiG.jpg

Add filler (colloidal silica is usually preferred) until it's creamy peanut butter consistancy...tiny bit of reflow.

Put the epoxy/filler mixture into a sandwich baggie and snip off the corner:
3kKWBgu.jpg

fill the plug holes from the bottom-up:
QJoa2eW.jpg

^^^ check in every once and awhile to see if there are any leaks...just keep topping off the plug if it does until it starts to solidify.

fasten the battery hold-down...rock solid now.
x7blRRR.jpg

classiccat

Last update for the night, foam trimmin' for the access ports.

I put a nail in the end of a board, then plunked down each foam plug centered on the nail.

Marked off the radius of the access opening (as well as the location of the center-nail), then trimmed away with the hot wire cutter.
aXjIluF.jpg

GVaV14Y.jpg

and that my friends is roughly where we're at! Thanks for stoppin' by! :yo:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Looking real good buddy, so what TM are you thinking about? Something fancy and expensive or reliable and cheaper. :lol:

With my dash panel set up I had to put my screen on the nav side console, it actually works out great with no wheel in the way and when trolling for walleye, it also came with it's own gimbal mount. Does that HB unit have WiFi that hooks it up to other devices? I use a 10" pad that uses the Ray Marine WiFish app.

classiccat

It didn't come from China.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/2PTmzio.jpg"**[/IMG2]

and it's ALOT bigger than anyone ever expected! :eek: :lol:

Looking real good buddy, so what TM are you thinking about? Something fancy and expensive or reliable and cheaper. :lol:

With my dash panel set up I had to put my screen on the nav side console, it actually works out great with no wheel in the way and when trolling for walleye, it also came with it's own gimbal mount. Does that HB unit have WiFi that hooks it up to other devices? I use a 10" pad that uses the Ray Marine WiFish app.

Thanks Agua!

Regarding TM: Simple/Reliable with foot control. Long enough shaft to reach the water & preferrably 12V (keep bow weight minimal with 1 deep cycle)...which I think limits me to 55# thrust.

I thought of putting it on the port console but I use the navigation as much as the sonar. I navigate tidal rivers at night with some narrow channels so having that in my face is key. The steering wheel doesn't obscure the screen when sitting in the low setting (which is actually a tad high for my liking).

I believe I purchased this humminbird around 2010/11. I don't think it has wifi/bluetooth but you can hardwire datalink devices...maybe its possible to add a wireless hub to broadcast to newer devices? :noidea:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
After experiencing the difference between 12v vs 24v TM performance especially battery life I can say you'd be way better off with 24v even if it's 2 x gp24 batts for less weight. I use 2 x gp27 on my 80# Terrova 60" on my SS and can troll all day ending up with close to 70% life left over With the little 16' SN 12v All Terrain 48#, I was going dead half way through the day.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Watermann Rob, did you use a single or double battery with the 12V All Terrain?

I guess I have the time to dig through your threads. :eek:

classiccat

After experiencing the difference between 12v vs 24v TM performance especially battery life I can say you'd be way better off with 24v even if it's 2 x gp24 batts for less weight. I use 2 x gp27 on my 80# Terrova 60" on my SS and can troll all day ending up with close to 70% life left over With the little 16' SN 12v All Terrain 48#, I was going dead half way through the day.

I appreciate the recommendation Agua!

I've already filled up that battery well with a honkin' Interstate Group31. I really don't want 2 of those...it's a beast.

dNijDqz.jpg

^^^ I kept that negative wire long just in case I put 2 in series.

Someday when I add some HP to the transom, I'll reconsider adding some to the bow too! :thumb:

To be honest, I use trolling motors very little. Maybe I'll do some plugging, slight course corrections when drifting or some precision anchoring.

classiccat

Lockdown Week-8 Update.

I installed skene chocks "backwards" according to their instructions...
Nbk1B1D.jpg

...then again, there is no Left and Right in marine :lol:
RDZXhDR.jpg

These are awesome for river anchoring, if i'm with someone, i'd tie-off on that forward cleat...and if i'm flyin' solo, I can tie-off in the midship cleat.

classiccat

The anodization on the rub rail trim was beat-up pretty bad.

Removing it required 3 passes of oven cleaner and scotch-brite...talk about a pain!

I kept the anodization on the lower part of the trim since it would be harder to repolish/seal down the road.

107PLey.jpg

^^^ the original rub rail slid in fairly easily. I had it soaking in hot water, then sprayed it with NAPA RUGlyde (tire mounting lubricant) while I fed it into the channel.

classiccat

the corner and bow caps needed some TLC.
Y7gxJfy.jpg

8PhIQ6F.jpg

UgMvVgq.jpg

I chamfered the holes and filled them with 1/4" rivets:
QqnctEH.jpg

then sanded + polished + sealed:
oN69Dp7.jpg

Mounted:
bGtmvrH.jpg

PoZQTEV.jpg

UT1nt9u.jpg

classiccat

I'm now working on the SW doors.

L1k1uys.jpg

I'm going to epoxy/glass these as well and border them with 3/4" wide angle to keep them straight.

I'm out of interlux topcoat from last year so I plan to use the interlux epoxy primer then try tip/roll rustoleum light-grey to match the seats.

I had these smaller perko cleats in my parts bin, i'm thinkin' of using them as door handles.
Z6VxK1K.jpg

...and that's where we are. I really hope all of you are staying healthy & practicing social distancing.

thanks for stoppin' by!
:yo: