My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Re: My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

top 3 life changers of a smart phone: maps, restaurant phone numbers, and looking at starcrafts all day :)

Yeah, there's an app for that.
When I hear "Apps", I will always think of Pruit Vince's character...the Bartender in Beautiful Girls (1996) saying, "but guys, we have Apps!" :lol:

not him saying it but still a great scene:

classiccat

Anyways guys, lovin' having some tin-time. I've been on a tear getting as much ready for when my buddy gets here.

Today I focused on the bow-area corrosion; 2 holes that are completely through (you may recall the PO attempting to fix using black flex seal):

The smaller hole is straightforward; getting drilled-up to a 3/16 and riveted:

The bottom hole is larger and in a tricky position; right against the the outer bow plate.

Here's the plan of attack (rivets already removed):

continued...

classiccat

How it looked before today:

Clean-up / Plug-up the hole with JB (temp backed w/ masking tape)) & remove rivets:

What it should look like with the patches in place:

Prior to riveting, I'll clean this area using West Systems aluminum cleaner & etch (similar process as Alodine). Both patches will be buttered with 5200.

classiccat

Lastly, You may also recall the PO drilling a few "extra" holes in the hull skin when installing the deck. Most of the errant holes are benign...but one is under a rib...right-up against the outer chine. :facepalm: Really tough spot for riveting so I filled it with JB...and it will be covered with a patch (covering the rib-end cracks) buttered with 5200:

EDIT: Almost forgot...the forward-most lateral Rib was raised off of the hull skin...guessing from years of powerloading. The bucktails were pulled-off. I drilled-out those rivets and we'll be upsizing to 3/16".

Thanks for stoppin' by! :yo:

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral

Wow BF, you definitely get the award for not giving up. I'm pretty sure there have been guys scrap hulls in better shape. Kudos for your tenacity and clever repair ideas.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Once you and your Bud get a rhythm going, those holes and plates will go 1-2-3. You do have earplugs and plenty of the craft beer, don't you. :)

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

I'm with Glen; that's a scary amount of corrosion. I hope your inner plate(s) will cover all of that thinned area and then some. Since you've become accustomed to riveting, I'd recommend pulling the rivets in any rib close to the corrosion and slip a new patch under the rib to ensure there's no hidden thin spots. JB Weld will fill holes but won't reinforce the hull. Peace of mind. - Grandad

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.

Yep. Definitely is the most difficult resto thread this year. Awesome work. Be sure to look at putting sacrificial anodes on that hull.

classiccat

Wow BF, you definitely get the award for not giving up. I'm pretty sure there have been guys scrap hulls in better shape. Kudos for your tenacity and clever repair ideas.

Thanks Glen! I have to admit that I am a little jealous of the other restorations :lol: I just take it 1-step at a time, learning a bunch through the process and hopefully giving others some insight into what to do (and/or what not to do) when they come across some these issues :)

Once you and your Bud get a rhythm going, those holes and plates will go 1-2-3. You do have earplugs and plenty of the craft beer, don't you. :)

Earplugs: Check
Pennsylvania Craft Beer: Check
Pennsylvania Boilo: Check

my buddy made sure to send me these pictures in advance (give my liver some warning):

I'm with Glen; that's a scary amount of corrosion. I hope your inner plate(s) will cover all of that thinned area and then some. Since you've become accustomed to riveting, I'd recommend pulling the rivets in any rib close to the corrosion and slip a new patch under the rib to ensure there's no hidden thin spots. JB Weld will fill holes but won't reinforce the hull. Peace of mind. - Grandad
That's a good idea Grandad. The good news is that this corrosion only occurred under the Epoxy...trapped water and may have contained copper if it was intended for Antifouling. They're fairly short ribs & wouldn't take much to remove.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Boilio is a new one on me. I grew up around Pittsburgh, but not close enough to the coal miners, I guess.

I think you better hide the drill bits and other hole makers. And driving and operating heavy equipment is out of the picture, too. Not too sure where rivet guns fall, I know you don't drive them, but the rivets are driven. :joyous:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Yeah I'm there with ya on the corrosion issues, I have been and will be fighting them through my whole resto as well. I like your idea of back buttering the patches although personally after using both products for such repairs, I think I would use marine tex epoxy rather than 5200. My transom is in serious need of attention and will have to be skinned with marine tex.

classiccat

Yep. Definitely is the most difficult resto thread this year. Awesome work. Be sure to look at putting sacrificial anodes on that hull.
thanks astor! when i get to the finishing stages,ill be paying close attention to grounding & bonding!

classiccat

Boilio is a new one on me. I grew up around Pittsburgh, but not close enough to the coal miners, I guess.

I think you better hide the drill bits and other hole makers. And driving and operating heavy equipment is out of the picture, too. Not too sure where rivet guns fall, I know you don't drive them, but the rivets are driven. :joyous:
i think boilio is an eastern pa thing...more specifically...Lithuanian.

i talk big when it comes to the "wobbly pop"...im more of a sipper...and that case needs to hold me over for a month or 2 :lol:

classiccat

Yeah I'm there with ya on the corrosion issues, I have been and will be fighting them through my whole resto as well. I like your idea of back buttering the patches although personally after using both products for such repairs, I think I would use marine tex epoxy rather than 5200. My transom is in serious need of attention and will have to be skinned with marine tex.

So I'm in good company :lol:

I think the rule-of-thumb with these patches is that you want something with great adhesion & remains pliable. If you lose adhesion &/or the epoxy cracks, you'll have water intrusion & probably end-up trapping water against the aluminum.

In pitting outside of the patches, all we're doing is filling them in so that water cannot collect there in the future. I'm still undecided what I'm going to do there. Whatever it is, we need to maximize the quality of the aluminum surface through cleaning (get rid of corrosive elements, remove aluminum oxide) & treatment. If you read the early stages of this resto, I'm not a big fan of epoxy-on-aluminum :facepalm: :lol:

InMotion

Commander

Hey BF --- man you're really rockin' ---- a lottttt of corrosion --- but glad to see you are putting a lot into getting those areas beefed up or patched up!!

Keep at it!!!

Take care,

Jim

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Yeah Bluefin I can understand your dislike for epoxy, I saw your corrosion problem started with as poorly done application of some epoxy. I was just giving another thought on the repair by using both, fill in the pitting with a layer of MT then back butter the splints with 5200. With your repair I really doubt there will be any flex in that area that would be enough to compromise MT which does flex actually. My line of thought is it would add strength to the area that's compromised by the pitting so the hull wouldn't possibly end up with a crack that runs out from the repaired area.

classiccat

brief update...more of a test for this new-fangled android :lol:
securing the tabs

attaching to the shelf

continued...(notepad in my android hit its limit :lol:)

classiccat

port and starboard vertical risers secured to shelves

securing these to the hull sides will be great practice before getting to the sub-h2o stuff!

happy new years guys!!!

thank you so much for the advice and encouragement you provided me throughout 2013!!!

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral

Looks real good BF, should add a ton of strength to the hull.

Happy New Year to you as well.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Looks great BF!