My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

SigSaurP229

Commander
Re: My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

that would be sweet man! If you're mounting at an angle, do you plan to cut it into the bezel or insert a wedge?

I already have one...carp fairies read minds too!! :scared:

Probably put it on the bandsaw and cut to an angle.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Mid-week Update.

Changed the Admiral's water pump in her '09 'yota...this earned me some serious points (which translate nearly 1:1 resto points... since the garage/driveway is slowly cleaning-up!) There's a TSB out for this but she's outside of the warranty window. Thankfully we caught it early enough...seized-up-solid once outside of the block & the coolant dried in it.

Lipstick on a pig...Aside from a few doo-dads (...and the cowling), OB painting is complete!!!

Exhaust housing with all of her jewelry (adapter plate/water tube/inner exahust, motor mounts & bumper)...starting to look like a motor again:

Before/after on the motor mounts. This corrosion in the through-holes seems to break more bolts than anything.

This little dremel accessory cuts right through it! Its also good for extracting broken bolts...shaving them down to the threads so that you can pick the bolt-metal out.

I finally found a fuel pump kit...for some reason almost impossible to find for this year/model engine.

A-little-bit-of-schmutz in there but not bad. diaphragm didn't appear to have any holes in it.

continued...

Last edited:

classiccat

I pop-in to the J/E forum once and awhile...help a few guys out, browse topics, etc.

A guy with a '77 75Hp Johnny was getting water into his cylinders. We ruled-out his head gasket and suggested that he checked his exhaust manifold (sound familiar?) F_R said that these loopers have a chronic problem of warped baffles (GaB, you mentioned this as well).

I guess I was in denial...and checked for warpage only in the "short" direction. When I check in the long direction, I'd say that she's a twisted mess...and explains why so much water was passing under the gasket.

I bit the bullet and ordered a "new old-stock" baffle to the tune of a c-spot (shipped). Tough pill to swallow but after this much time, $$$ invested...in addition to the powerhead being off (barely!), I'd rather not rely on the gasket here.

Thanks for stopping buy and have a great weekend!!! :yo:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I see the Carp Fairy is lending a helping hand. Actually bottom feeding on your baffle. :lol:

GA_Boater

Let the CF BFH it some. He can flatten it out. ;)

barato2

Commander

Useful verbs for tin boat restorers #238: bfh

classiccat

Weekend Update

I'm full-steam ahead trying to reclaim my garage workspace from that stubborn, old 'Rude!

Upper Motor mounts in place. (Now if you're following this thread for rebuilding your 'Rude...I'd wait to install the upper motor mounts until the leg is in place; the thrust bumper wouldn't go into the recess in the lower mount bracket w/ these mounted...). I also had to install a new ground jumper; the previous was busted off:

BF torque wrench needed to get the lower motor mount bracket secured to the steering arm:

Exhaust housing in place...starting to look like an outboard again:

...and the mess in my garage is starting to thin-out!

classiccat

If you have to replace the forward rubber seal, this seemed to work. I drilled 2 holes and sewed it in place using nylon-coated steel leader...

...and a heat gun locks the twist (fuses the nylon coating) in place.

I suppose a small zip-tie would also work as long as it doesn't interfere with the forward exhaust housing cover.

Lastly, if you're retrofitting a mid-70's rude with a tell-tale (Glen), triple check the location so that you have clearance for your hose (I only double-checked..as you can see my 1st pilot hole :facepalm:). There's a flat at corner of the lower-motor cover...don't center it in that flat...go as forward as possible (center-line ~3/8" away from the angle so that the fitting is fully landed on the flat).

...the hose needs to clear that upper cowling mount.

Just waiting on that new exhaust baffle to slap-on the powerhead & LU.

From there, we're back to whipping the dinged-up hull & trailer back-in-shape!

Have a great week and thanks for stopping by!!!

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Upholstery work on a Rude! Sewing you motor together, indeed. Tin boats have a new standard to measure against. :lol:

I jest, Blue. Looking good. :D

jbcurt00

Staff member

It looks like a left-handed Foley suture stitch. Evinrude medic to the rescue....................

classiccat

Upholstery work on a Rude! Sewing you motor together, indeed. Tin boats have a new standard to measure against. :lol:

I jest, Blue. Looking good. :D

It looks like a left-handed Foley suture stitch. Evinrude medic to the rescue....................

I only hope that my casualty O/B has a pulse once I'm done butchering it :laugh:

64osby

Admiral

12_DrivingSmarter.jpg

1, 2, 3, Clear.....

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Swweeeet.. I like to see the old stuff getting refurbished and used..... :)

classiccat

Swweeeet.. I like to see the old stuff getting refurbished and used..... :)

Thanks SMG!

I think that's our unspoken mission statement!

I've stumbled on a few 115's and 140's that I would've loved to buy, refurb and snap some heads back...but knowing that this was the motor that was packaged with the boat, I'm all-in (assuming she's a runner :lol:)

barato2

Commander

i've often wondered if the Starmada should have a defibrillator unit for resurrecting dead boats....also helpful for when the Admiral passes out at the sight of the latest atrocity you've hauled home.....

classiccat

i've often wondered if the Starmada should have a defibrillator unit for resurrecting dead boats....also helpful for when the Admiral passes out at the sight of the latest atrocity you've hauled home.....

...or if the Admiral connects with the cast-iron skillet :fish:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Possibly
...or if the Admiral connects with the cast-iron skillet :fish:
But much more likely :D :watermelon: