My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

shadetree_fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

He BF16,
Great thread,
Your time frame for just the stripping is something I didn't have, I bought mine on 6-13-2012 and pretty much hit a wall round Nov. 2012But finally, I had it mediablasted today and will hopefully get some gluvit on tomaro and then flip it Friday for prep of prime & paint!!!

Keep up the work, I'll be watching closely. Mike

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

He BF16,
Great thread,
Your time frame for just the stripping is something I didn't have, I bought mine on 6-13-2012 and pretty much hit a wall round Nov. 2012But finally, I had it mediablasted today and will hopefully get some gluvit on tomaro and then flip it Friday for prep of prime & paint!!!

Keep up the work, I'll be watching closely. Mike

Hi Mike, Thanks!

good deal on the media-blasting...it sounds like its all downhill from here!

classiccat

Weekly Update:

The exterior epoxy / bottom-paint combo is fully-stripped...

...and hopefully all of this hull's dirty little secrets have been revealed!

Besides the multiple stress cracks on the port side (shown previously), I discovered what a mound of black flex seal was hiding.

rotted from the inside...water trapped under the epoxy...

The hole near the bow keel plate is tricky since I can't fix with a simple rivet. The plan is to rivet an aluminum patch to the outside with 5200 as well as fill-in the pitting on the inside with marine-tex or JB weld.

What's next for the hull:
  • drill crack-stops for each of the stress cracks
  • build a gantry (multiple 1-man flips in my near future)
  • Flip the hull and pound-out the port-side hull kink (wish that I did that before I flipped it the 1st time)
  • Strip paint, remaining epoxy and carpet glue from the inside and gunwale.
  • clean/treat all interior corrosion
  • begin the grind of fabricating installing chine braces (while simultaneously capping the stress cracks from the inside)
  • I'm still undecided on whether or not to remove the knee-brace to address the missing seam rivet

This feels more like a rescue than a restoration :lol:

Thanks for stopping by!!

shadetree_fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Mike, Thanks!

good deal on the media-blasting...it sounds like its all downhill from here!

BF, we'll see about the "down hill" part! I got it flipped AGAIN and used a brass wire wheel on the drill to clean/prep the front cap & just below the rub rail, then I used blue painters tape to mark off the looooonnnnggg stretches of where I'm putting 5200 the gonna wipe it smooth with a damp cloth, then let it dry before laying on the self etch primer.

shadetree_fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BF,
yes you are doing a rescue restore, the P.O. musta been a little ruff on the ole SC... glad its gonna get a 2nd chance! I wished I would done the stripping like you but just didn't have the time, looking good my friend, keep at it!

Mike

classiccat

BF,
yes you are doing a rescue restore, the P.O. musta been a little ruff on the ole SC... glad its gonna get a 2nd chance! I wished I would done the stripping like you but just didn't have the time, looking good my friend, keep at it!

Mike

Thanks Mike!

I'm curious as to where you're using 5200 on/near the rub-rail? please post some pics in your thread! :cool:

I would've gotten a little more accomplished if a buddy with lake-front property hadn't "twisted my arm" to go fishing :rolleyes:

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Nice lookin carp there buddy.....

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Good lord, that is a dandy bugle lip. I know they put up a great fight but I just can't get myself to put one of those in my smoker. :)

classiccat

Nice lookin carp there buddy.....

Thanks SmG! it wasn't the biggest of the session but definitely the prettiest! We were after the 30+ pounders but an overwhelming grass carp population makes it tough to get to the big common carp.

The local "bass club" insisted that 4000 grass carp were needed to thin-out the weeds...in a 500 acre lake :facepalm:

Good lord, that is a dandy bugle lip. I know they put up a great fight but I just can't get myself to put one of those in my smoker. :)

Excellent fighters indeed...even on 12' rods, they put-up one heck of a scrap! I've always C.P.R. (catch, photograph, release) carp so can't really help with making them taste better :lol:

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Looks like you certainly have you hands full with the repairs. Makes me wonder if a lot of the damage was caused by trailering the boat down gravel roads. If it was caused by rough handling on the water then someone sure was a tough SOB to handle that kind of pounding. Good luck on the repairs and looking forward to the reconstruction.

shadetree_fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice CARP BF,
My local lake, Eagle Mountain Lake is also full of them, however its an 8900 acre lake!!! LOL

BTW, I posted pics in my thread of the 5200.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hey, BF - Your inbox is full.

dozerII

Admiral

Hey BF, what's with taking time off to go fishing, you got a StarCraft to rebuild:D nice carp by the way.

classiccat

Looks like you certainly have you hands full with the repairs. Makes me wonder if a lot of the damage was caused by trailering the boat down gravel roads. If it was caused by rough handling on the water then someone sure was a tough SOB to handle that kind of pounding. Good luck on the repairs and looking forward to the reconstruction.

I believe a significant portion of the damage was done by a bad trailer setup as well as powerloading. Also, I'm fairly certain that this boat saw alot of saltwater.

Nice CARP BF,
My local lake, Eagle Mountain Lake is also full of them, however its an 8900 acre lake!!! LOL

BTW, I posted pics in my thread of the 5200.

That's a good sized lake! I'm a member of Carp Anglers Group and there's a pretty strong Texas contingent...If you're interested, I can link-u-up with some members to show you the ins/outs of putting some big girls on the mat!

Interesting place to put the 5200...and it will be painted over! I'm going naked (mainly so I can keep a close eye on my repairs)...too bad there's not a clear-version of 5200 :lol:

Hey BF, what's with taking time off to go fishing, you got a StarCraft to rebuild:D nice carp by the way.

Glen, you don't understand...he twisted my arm REALLY REALLY HARD!! :lol:

Hey, BF - Your inbox is full.

all cleaned-up... I'll share my latest acquisition with the mob once its in my possession :cool:

shadetree_fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I believe a significant portion of the damage was done by a bad trailer setup as well as powerloading. Also, I'm fairly certain that this boat saw alot of saltwater.

That's a good sized lake! I'm a member of Carp Anglers Group and there's a pretty strong Texas contingent...If you're interested, I can link-u-up with some members to show you the ins/outs of putting some big girls on the mat!

Interesting place to put the 5200...and it will be painted over! I'm going naked (mainly so I can keep a close eye on my repairs)...too bad there's not a clear-version of 5200 :lol:
Yes BF, lots of carp guys here! thanks for the offer but I am doing good to get back on the SC rebuild!!! LOL

classiccat

Weekly Update. Paint!

...well, not on the Hull but painting has started on the Rude!

It's my 1st time using Zinc Chromate and questioning my methods. Consumables in order of use (Left -> Right):

* I painted the trim tab as a test piece...love the gold!

The parts were thoroughly prepped.
  1. mechanical removal of loose paint, corrosion, etc. (sanding, filing, SS wire-brush, etc.).
  2. Washed with dishsoap/water and throughly rinsed.
  3. Dried with a leaf-blower and let sit in the hot sun for 1hr.
  4. Wiped-down with acetone
  5. West System Aluminum Cleaner (partA) + Rinse + Dry (MSDS appears similar to Alumaprep 33)
  6. West System Surface Conversion Coating (PartB) + Rinse + Dry (MSDS appears similar to Alodine)

7. 1hr after applying PartB, I applied the Zinc Chromate

8. 45min after applying ZC, I applied a thin coat of Rusto-Pro clean-metal Primer
  9. Applied 2nd coat of Rusto Primer...and that's where we are

The plan is to wet-sand, then apply 2-3 coats of topcoat (Evinrude Gold). Does this make sense?

Overall it looks pretty good for spray-bombs.

There's 1 spot on the LU that has a sandy-look to it...straight-on, the primer appears thinner relative to everything else.

I'm going to wait 48hrs before monkeying with it.

Is this common or did I dork something-up??
ZC too thick/thin? cure time too-long/short? etc. :noidea:

Thanks for stopping by!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That looks correct to me. Didn't realize clean metal primer was brown. The non-spray is white I think. Not that it matters.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

Man this things going to be show room quality when your done, cant wait to see the hull get painted!

classiccat

That looks correct to me. Didn't realize clean metal primer was brown. The non-spray is white I think. Not that it matters.

Thanks for confirming EZ! Reading some threads, I may have had the spray can too-far from the piece basically causing it to land-dry...either that or it's a surface tension issue.

Man this things going to be show room quality when your done, cant wait to see the hull get painted!

Thanks Ct! If I carry-out my vision as it is today :indecisiveness:, there won't be much painting involved :nod: ....