My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

sdride

Seaman
Re: My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

I did a quick search on Craigslist for NY and found a few. I have no idea what they would charge you though. good luck

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

OK guys, I'm feeling a little better about the bottom paint...I temporarily tipped the boat...making measurements to build a cradle & getting a sense weight distribution, handling, etc.

It seems as though the epoxy was only applied to the seams. The rest is flaking-off due to poor prep.

I think I found the source of the bent OB exhaust housing. One rivet was rubbed completely off...I bet that was an entertaining day at the ramp...as long as you weren't the PO :lol: :rolleyes:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That pic is deja vu all over again, Blue. A while back someone posted pics of almost identical damage to a tinny they bought or were looking at buying. Wonder if the ramp was harmed? :eek:

classiccat

That pic is deja vu all over again, Blue. A while back someone posted pics of almost identical damage to a tinny they bought or were looking at buying. Wonder if the ramp was harmed? :eek:

deja vu is right...take your pick!

Dutzeman's Lund Pro-V thread,

bscappell's BlueFin (post #7),

budsky's Sylvan Pro Fisherman looks like it fell into a minefield (post #22).

...anyways, no plans of attempting to correct this...it doesn't leak.

GA_Boater

Dutzeman's is the one I was thinking of. Carbon copies.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Awesome thread bf...just read the whole thing. You are definitely meticulous and knowledgeable! I picked up some good tips, but I'm also now worried about how many problems my o/b might have that I have simply overlooked. Ignorance is (was) bliss :)

classiccat

Dutzeman's is the one I was thinking of. Carbon copies.

no doubt...only difference is that the drain tube caught making it extra-fugly...on a Lund ProV...PO should've been locked-up! I wonder if Dutzeman bought the boat? (just bumped the thread)

Awesome thread bf...just read the whole thing. You are definitely meticulous and knowledgeable! I picked up some good tips, but I'm also now worried about how many problems my o/b might have that I have simply overlooked. Ignorance is (was) bliss :)

Thanks pmc! I've learned alot from your SN thread as well! You do very good work and when you encounter an unknown, you ask the right questions in the right places (i.e. personalized wiring schematic from Don S.! I bookmarked it and I'm an electrical engineer!)

Most of the motor work has been circumstantial...she's lucky she has good compression or her parts would be scattered all over ebay :lol:

classiccat

Hull Bracing...I noticed that the hull had alot of twist even with the cross-braces...tying-in to the stringers seemed to help.

Brute-force 1-man flip (those squats that I used to do 18 years ago are now paying off :lol:)

Lesson Learned: Wear gloves...ropes took some palm-skin with it

...this turtle has one ugly shell:

Starboard-bottom is Heaven...Port-side is Hell:

Some of the PO's errant drilling...blind rivets topped with soft epoxy putty.

Now for the "good news"...

classiccat

Rib-3 (AFT) was ok.

Rib-4 (cracks starting on the forward rivet...and yes, that is a pop-rivet under the rib):

Rib-5:

Rib-6:

Rib-7 (Worst):

Rib-8:

Rib-9:

Rib-10 had a small crack and Rib-11 was OK.

That hull kink was worse than we thought and it's interesting because you don't see any cracking from the inside.

There's no question that I'll need to add reinforcement under each rib end (simlar to Granddad's MO).

I believe that I'll get a better seal from the inside if I straighten-out the kink using GaB's "BFH-MO".

Before I start swinging again, I'll drill small holes at the ends of the cracks.

Any other advice, criticism, numbers for good psychologists, etc.?

classiccat

and last-but-not-least, the worn-down keel.

that line in the center is where it's worn completely through...again, this is as a result of the worn-down keel rollers mentioned earlier in this thread...boat was being dragged across the steel shafts.

classiccat

the grind of stripping the bottom paint / epoxy has begun.

The epoxy that I spent weeks chipping, chiseling and scraping from the inside (w/out chemical stripper) from the inside is covering the entire exterior bottom as well.

So far I haven't seen any pitting...just minor corrosion where water was trapped (i.e. on/around rivets, strakes, keel, etc.)

The strip process was really made possible by good-old cling-wrap.

The sequence goes like this (Word of safety: wear a respirator, eye protection and those big, green chem gloves):
  1. Precut cling wrap and position 1 end with painters tape
  2. Apply Zip Strip
  3. Immediately cover with cling wrap (and be prepared, the wind always seems to gust when you're trying to place thin plastic over a caustic gel substance...Zip Strip burns like hell! )
  4. let sit for 30min to an hour...paint will bubble like crazy...and even some epoxy might come-up if it's thin enough
  5. pull cling-wrap back but don't remove the painters tape
  6. scrape as much paint off as possible exposing the epoxy surface
  7. Apply more Zip and cover again with the cling wrap
  8. let this sit for a good hour...i let it sit overnight
  9. scrape up as much epoxy as possible...the areas of ultra-thick epoxy may still remain
  10. repeat 7-9 until all of the epoxy is gone

This process sequence will blow through standard paint...it's the epoxy that makes it a horror show.

I'm quite pleased with the results!

port side will be complete once I knock the crud off of the strake (thunder-bangers chased me off of the driveway):

Once SB is complete, I'll flip-back-over to begin the process of repairing the hull.

Thanks for stopping by!

GA_Boater

I don't envy you in the least, Blue. Stripping paint is a PITA. Then you have the epoxy. YECK!

classiccat

I don't envy you in the least, Blue. Stripping paint is a PITA. Then you have the epoxy. YECK!

3+ weeks scraping the interior epoxy ...followed by 1+ week scraping gasket material ...followed by another 2+ weeks of scraping paint.

Oddly enough, I'll be happy to be start bucking some rivets :lol:

GA_Boater

3+ weeks scraping the interior epoxy ...followed by 1+ week scraping gasket material ...followed by another 2+ weeks of scraping paint.

Oddly enough, I'll be happy to be start bucking some rivets :lol:

For sure! Brushing your tooth with 5200, even. ;)

SigSaurP229

Commander

Hmmm wonder which is better for toothbrushing 4200 or 5200.

Looking good chris, I know you have a long way to go but getting her turtled is a step in the right direction.

classiccat

Hmmm wonder which is better for toothbrushing 4200 or 5200.

Looking good chris, I know you have a long way to go but getting her turtled is a step in the right direction.

Thanks Sig! It definitely feels good to see all of this bare aluminum...skeletons are running out of places to hide!

The Admiral and her apprentice are out of town starting today...I should be able to make some good headway this w/e! :thumb:

GA_Boater

Just as long as the Admiral and Cabin Boy didn't leave a Honey Do list behind. :grumpy: I know you'll be glad to start fixing the boat instead of dumping the PO's cover-ups. :facepalm:

classiccat

Just as long as the Admiral and Cabin Boy didn't leave a Honey Do list behind. :grumpy: I know you'll be glad to start fixing the boat instead of dumping the PO's cover-ups. :facepalm:

Honey-do list: 0
Cast-iron skillet boneless ribeye: 1

(recipe)

the Admiral is vegetarian...so it's a game of catch-up when she's out of town :hungry:

GA_Boater

Hey Blue - The Starmada runs on good food. :D