My Family Wants a Boat, And So Do I

jkust

Rear Admiral
Re: My Family Wants a Boat, And So Do I

Do not forget to set aside what could be a fair amount of money for things like Dock Lines, PFD's (several sizes and at least 2 types depending on the area), Anchor(s), Anchor line, chain, Fenders, Fire Ext., Small tool kit.

Don't overlook the necessary safety items that may not come with the boat.

Outside of that, I can't add anything to what's already been said.

Welcome Aboard.

Excellent point and honestly one reason I prefer nearly new but used boats over new. The owner many times is looking to exit boating and so throws all their equipment in. I got over 2k worth of stuff as a conservative estimate with my sig boat from one such boating exiter. I saw a CL ad exiting boating and trying to sell their gear as an add on to the boat in the ad. I just laughed given the person who buys it will surely negotiate everything into the price. Usually they line it all up in the ad showing you what you will get thrown in.

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Found this one too.

1990 1900 Sports Craft: http://huntsville.craigslist.org/boa/3063107595.html

The 88 Sea Ray has tons of stuff with it. The others, not so much. I can go look at the Chaparral today, and the others this weekend. The Sports Craft seller even offered to take us tubing on his to demo it.

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Found this one too.

1990 1900 Sports Craft: http://huntsville.craigslist.org/boa/3063107595.html

The 88 Sea Ray has tons of stuff with it. The others, not so much. I can go look at the Chaparral today, and the others this weekend. The Sports Craft seller even offered to take us tubing on his to demo it.

I wouldn't bother with this one personally. Asking too much money. If he's willing to sell it for closer to $3500, maybe. You have to realize that if you buy a 22 year old boat, you're opening yourself up to a HELLISH nightmare dealing with stringers and glass work. I know everyone is saying "save some money for the necessary gear" and that's VERY important as it'll nickel and dime you to death. The reality is that if you can drop $6000 on a boat, you should get ALL of the boat you can for $6000.00 It's easier to replace and engine than it is stringers/deck/etc.

Boating isn't JUST about going out and having a good time on the lake. Boats need constant maintenance. It's always a matter of fixing this, fixing that, cleaning this up, replacing that...a 22 year old boat is going to have a lot of that sorta stuff and it's almost certainly going to need some structural repair. I would be aiming at spending closer to $6000 and aiming for the mid 90's at the very least. Going back to the 80's and/or 1990-1991 is going to mean for sure you're going to be knee deep in flying fiberglass shards. Reglassing stringers and rebuilding is easily going to cost you the $2000 you saved anyway and you'll spend your "on the water" time fixing and repairing. Fear rot and you'll be good.

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think my budget ceiling may need to rise, lol!

ETA: I think I'm getting ahead of myself. I'm beginning to think that these old boats are going to be nightmares now. I think I better slow down.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I bought a less expensive boat to start out but had to really search for one in good condition. I bought it with the intent of selling it if we enjoyed boating and buying something we all wanted later. It worked out that the boat I found had all the features we were looking for and was the perfect size. I sold it and bought a newer version of the same boat. I did however learn a lot about maintenance and what features work and don't work for us. Now I am ready to properly maintain and get the most enjoyment out of our more expensive and much nicer boat so it should last a long time with minimal headaches.

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think my budget ceiling may need to rise, lol!

ETA: I think I'm getting ahead of myself. I'm beginning to think that these old boats are going to be nightmares now. I think I better slow down.

+1 If you have the resources to save up and go newer...do it. If you don't like working on boats and it's not at least HALF the reason you are doing it, don't buy a 20+ year old boat! You're doing all of the right things right now, so you have a HUGE advantage over most first time boat owners. Most don't realize they should find a forum until they've bought a boat and are trying to fix something. Then they realize what they've done and how much work its going to be.

Check out $10k boats in your area and see the difference. If you educate yourself well and give yourself that kind of budget, you'll get a boat that will work for you and your family and need just some regular maintenance. When it gets a little older, sell it to someone who is okay with buying an older boat.

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just increased the budget to $10k.

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, the guy with the Chaparral dropped his price by $1200 to $3300. I figure I can offer $3000.

Help me, wise men!

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

That boat is old...if you're okay with that it couldn't hurt to make an offer. Personally, I'd steer clear if your #1 priority is getting out on the water for years to come. If you can trial the boat and it runs and is sound, I'd go ahead and take it. The issue is going to be the stringers....they are rotted. I know I sound like a pessimist, but in my search for boats, anything that old was rotted. 100% of them. It's not a lack of proper care that causes it, it's just the nature of the beast on fresh water. It's constructed of wood and it's done it's best for 20+ years to keep it together, but that's a lot of moisture for WOOD.

I personally own a rotted out 19' bowrider. Previous owner slapped a deck right on top of the rotted out stringers (a common occurence). I bought the boat for $1500.00 and I knew it was rotted. I basically bought a running 115hp Johnson and a trailer, the boat is worthless, EXCEPT that I only use the boat to fish at the local lake. I don't tow anybody with it and I don't go hauling arse around the lake. Basically it's a fishing boat and not a pleasure boat now. I feel comfortable putting it around, but I wouldn't go jumping it off of any wakes. Even then, I inspect after each trip for cracks or signs of fatigue in the hull.

If getting out and having fun is priority #1....STAY AWAY FROM THESE OLD FIBERGLASS BOATS. If 10k is realistic you'll be SOOO much happier. Fresher boat, fresher engine, freshere upholstery, fresher electrical, everything is just newer. If it's all crap and you want a good boat, it'll cost you the difference PLUS your time to make an old boat into a newer boat.

If you can accept it for what it is (which is likely a disposable boat) then great. If you're into working with your hands and getting down right nasty with a project, then by all means go for it. The people here will help you and the information that can be found around here is incredible. I don't have kids myself and I have a lot of "free time" so I enjoy doing the work. I haven't done stringers, but it's not out of the question. More than likely I'll just fish the 19'er until it damn near falls apart on me. Not worth the effort to fix it. 1984 Seswirl 19' bowrider.

Downforce6

Seaman

Just going to chime in about buying a first boat for a second.

First- I just bought my first last weekend, a 1992 17' Bayliner Capri 1750. I dont know a much about boats either and am also 40 years old.

Just wanted to say this, the help I got here buying a boat was great. Listen to the advice, the guys here wont steer you wrong.

They are right about the size 16' is very small. Mine is only a 17', there are 3 of us, Me, wife and 10 year old daughter. There is some room in the boat, but you want to consider water conditions you will be on.

I gave $3500 hundred dollars for my boat. Pictures posted at the bottom. One of the things I like about my deal is that I dont have a great amount of money invested in this just yet, and I think that the 17' boat will be easy to learn to launch and trailer, it's a good starter for me. If you look hard enough, you can find some good boats out there in this price range, I dont think you have to spend 10K on your first boat. Still, if you have the means, nothing wrong with spending the 10K either.

Just my 2 cents from a guy in basically the same position as you, expect I have made the purchase. I'm excited, anxious, and terrified all at the same time.

Wish I had some motor pics to show you how clean the motor, transom and stern drive look. they look like the rest of the boat, Old, but clean and well taken care of. Just saying, I think you can find in your original price range, if u shop long, hard and smart. (then again I could be singing a different tune in a month, I sure hope not)

229896_406248592749908_1473398109_n.jpg554384_406249386083162_1272382614_n.jpg

Downforce6

Seaman

Man I was going to show u this one, that was out of my price range, I never looked at it, I just thought it looked like an excellent possibility. I see now it's sold, I'm not surprized it went so quick.. Just an example of whats out there tho,

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/boa/3013315614.html

But again, I dont know enough about boats to be given advice. Guess I'm just still excited.

My boat aint all that, but I'm happy (so far, lol) the family is happy, and I still have money in my pocket for accesories. (I had a $5000 budget to spend, got some left over for a new marine radio, jackets, maybe a tube, ETC....

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm not going to see it with a sea test until Saturday. How do I ask/check for rot???

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ya know what....

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL02C318B574CD948D&feature=plcp

Here's an education on what the problem is and what you're looking for. Start with the first video. He's a member here and one of the many, many who have had to walk this path, although I don't know of anyone else who quite so extensively documented it. Tremendous resource for anyone considering buying a used boat.

By the third video you'll feel a little sick, lol.

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ya know what....

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL02C318B574CD948D&feature=plcp

Here's an education on what the problem is and what you're looking for. Start with the first video. He's a member here and one of the many, many who have had to walk this path, although I don't know of anyone else who quite so extensively documented it. Tremendous resource for anyone considering buying a used boat.

By the third video you'll feel a little sick, lol.

I'm sick after seeing the first one!

I would rather pay 10 grand to avoid the hassle factor.

I'm stunned. I'll try and watch the rest. I'm definitely out on old boats.

Thanks for the lesson.

03silvers

Seaman Apprentice
Avoid carpet

Avoid carpet

Look for something with snap in carpet. Avoid glue down carpet. Thats normally the boats that rot. My 97 with fiberglass liner with snap in carpet is 100 percent solid because water has no where to sit, it drains to the bilge.

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think I'm out on old glass boats. I'll stick to Toons. I will always look at older glass boats with those videos in mind. That totally did a 180 with me.

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Avoid carpet

Lotta dumping on older boats and maybe that's good advice . . . me, I bought this older boat on the recommendation of the local dealer, spent some dough on making it shine and replacing some floor and carpet (I am not a mechanically minded person), and it has performed like a brand new boat. I am absolutely delighted with it and for $3800 (including trailer) it is, IMO, a better, stronger boat than many of the newer 17-18 footers I see on the lake. Higher freeboard for one thing, which makes everyone feel a little more secure. Smart tabs made a huge improvement in performance as well. What can possibly fill ones heart with glee more than spending under $5K and having the same or better than the guy a few docks down who spent $15K?:D

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Definitely..not a bad way to go. I'm the same way....but I enjoy that part of it. Hell, I've gotta go get to work on my boat! It's just that working on boats isn't always what people want. I personally don't like glass work/stringers/deck stuff either. I bought a 24' boat with good stringers/deck/glass, but the engine is shot and the boat needs a new fuel tank and a mechanical once over to refresh everything. I can handle that stuff and that's the kind of project I'm into. Sometimes people tolerance for the "project" just varies and it's about finding the RIGHT boat.

My 19' boat like I said is rotten to the core, but I put around a lake on it. It's not worth redoing. It's had at least 3 different decks on it, lol. It's covered in outdoor carpet instead of marine carpet. It is what it is and I'm okay with that. Someday I may reconstruct that boat properly, but it's not really worth it. The engine is old, the boat is old, everything's just....old. But I've caught just as many fish as I would with a brand new boat, so I don't give a ****. I bought it for $1500 and I'm half way through season 2 with it with no reason to believe it won't be in the same sorta shape next season if I keep it. I wouldn't sell it to someone and tell them it's a GREAT boat and you and your family could put a wakeboard tower on it and go have a blast....nah. Ain't that kinda boat anymore. It's prime is past, but it fishes with dignity lol.

I think a pontoon boat sounds like a great idea. Trailering them is a *****, but as far as maintenance and the worry/hassle it's significantly better. Keep looking though, you'll change your mind lots of times.

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class

First - I have to say you are making me homesick! I grew up in Huntsville and spent all my formative years (late 60's through the 70's) with my family launching at the old Whitesburg Yacht Club. I went back there just a few months ago. It nearly brought tears to my eyes. Very little has changed - it doesn't live up to the grandeur of it's name - never did (lol). I guess Ditto Landing opened up in the late 70's. I graduated from GHS in the early 80's and used to make it out with a couple of my buddies 2-3 days a week in my senior year of high school. ...the good ole days... but I digress.

Truthfully, if you are going to be in that part of the Tennessee river, almost any style boat could serve your needs. You can cruise the river, stop at the arsenal and picnic, go up the Flint or the Paintrock, etc. If you intend to spend your time up river of Guntersville Dam, I would lean toward a fiberglass boat - just a little more trustworthy if the conditions turn south.

As for old boats I have one. I bought mine when it was almost 10 years old - now it is over 20 and looks as good or better than when I got it. When shopping for a used boat you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find the proverbial prince. I looked for months at countless boats. I suggest you buy from an individual rather than a broker / dealer. Take a look at how they have cared for the exterior - chances are they have taken similar care of the things you can't see to what you can see. If it looks rough, avoid it. If it looks good, that could be a good place to start. Given your price range, you obviously wont be getting a survey - neither did I (but I had boated all my life) so you have to be extra careful.

I was told by someone that knew boats better than me one thing to do that will sound very unusual to many here - and some may say it is crazy - but I think it was a good suggestion so I will pass it on. Always inspect a boat with a hammer. Tap on the stringers near the motor mounts (assuming an I/O). The noise when you hit them should sound like you are tapping on steel. No echo or hollow sound, just solid. You can also do this to the transom (but dont hit so hard to mar the surface) and it, too, should sound like steel.

Good luck! I wish I was there to help you.