My boat is being a boat . . .

alldodge

Staff member
No clue, if ya remember I had one of the 3 wire ones on the HP transom assembly. Added the digital to analog converter just like it said and it never worked

Hope you have better luck

tpenfield

Staff member
Yes I hope I can get it figured out. It appears that they don't work until they are calibrated. Seems stupid to me . . . They should at least work.

I am going to check the wiring in the AM. There is something on VesselView for calibrating the trim senders. Also there is supposed to be a way to calibrate them via the SmartCraft Gauges, but I cannot figure that out. :rolleyes:

tpenfield

Staff member
Quick update on the Digital Trim Senders . . .

I installed (replaced) the port sender and that worked fine. The starboard engine sender (also new) was still a no-go. At one point there was a warning about Stbd sender wiring that came up on the V.V. display . . . The connector contacts were a bit corroded, so I cleaned them as best I could . . . still a no-go.

Then I decided to test the sender so I swapped port & starboard. Magically they both worked o_O Maybe the harness connector decided it like the other sender better. :unsure:

Who knows, but they both now are working. :rolleyes: On to the next thing.

Reactions: muc

tpenfield

Staff member
And people wonder why I like non-ecu everything
Yup, and the amount of wiring and connections on this boat is insane. I had to lay across the engines just to reach down to get at the trim sender connectors and they were fastened to the transom wall with tywraps every few inches. Now I got to re-secure it all . . . :rolleyes:

Probably all of the new boats are like this.

In other news, I found that the SmartCraft gauges are reading about 1 volt less than the main 12v feeds . . . So they probably get their power from the ECU feed. Just got to find that place in all the electronic spaghetti. :ROFLMAO:

04fxdwgi25

Chief Petty Officer
Quick update on the Digital Trim Senders . . .

I installed (replaced) the port sender and that worked fine. The starboard engine sender (also new) was still a no-go. At one point there was a warning about Stbd sender wiring that came up on the V.V. display . . . The connector contacts were a bit corroded, so I cleaned them as best I could . . . still a no-go.

Then I decided to test the sender so I swapped port & starboard. Magically they both worked o_O Maybe the harness connector decided it like the other sender better. :unsure:

Who knows, but they both now are working. :rolleyes: On to the next thing.
Yup. Electronics can be "PFM". (Pure F'n Magic)

tpenfield

Staff member
Yup, never liked playing with electrons. I think I’m coming close to completing the modifications I was planning.

Hopefully this year I’ll have a better boating experience knowing where both the trim tabs and outdrives are from a trim perspective. :)

The boat needs help coming up on plane.

tpenfield

Staff member
The engines do OK for 6.2’s. The boat is pretty heavy, but not sure I’d want to burn more fuel with extra ponies 😀

tpenfield

Staff member
I am starting to get the upper hand, but it has been a month (or so) of constant battles.

I had quite a punch list from the first year of ownership, basically things to get the boat more 'dialed in'.

Here are the things . . .
Fume detector (the boat did not have one )
IMG_4597 2.JPG
Secondary Bilge pump (I added a low profile pump in the bilge right at the transom to get most of the bilge water out)
IMG_4552.JPG
Microwave (useful for overnights, this is the OEM style installation that I copied)
IMG_4637.JPG
Bow storage (another owner of these boats found a large unused space in front of the cabin wall. Using his discovery - I cut an access hole and made the cushion removable)
IMG_4642 2.JPG
IMG_4641 2.JPG
IMG_4643 2.JPG
Trim tab indicators and Outdrive Trim Gauge fixes (As if I didn't already have enough gauges at the helm, I added 2 gauges for the trim tabs (port/starboard) and got the outdrive senders/gauges working again.)
IMG_4681.JPG
Bathroom Lighting - I had a previous fail of getting a PIR sensor to turn on the bathroom light . . . I came up with an alternative to the PIR with a 'night light and a pilot light indicating the location of the light switch when the cabin light CB is activated. The bathroom has no source of natural light, so it is pitch black when you close the door. Most guest struggle finding the light switch. This should be a decent solution. I also added an extra overhead light, since the OEM lighting was inadequate.
IMG_4677.JPG
IMG_4678.JPG
IMG_4680.JPG
EDIT:

I forgot the water system mods . . . Mixing valve and a new water strainer for the pressure pump.
IMG_4659 2.JPG
Anyway, I am hoping these improvements prove worthwhile for this year's boating. :D

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Hey Ted, which Sony head unit do you have with the remote? Have the same remote, need a new head unit.

tpenfield

Staff member
Hey Ted, which Sony head unit do you have with the remote? Have the same remote, need a new head unit.
I don’t see a model # but it looks like this.
IMG_4684.jpeg

I’ll see if I have any documentation that might give the model #.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Ozzy.......

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣴⡖⠒⢶⡄ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⠁⠀⠀⡧⣿ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⠇⠀⠀⣸⡇⣾ ⠀⣀⣠⣤⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡞⠀⠀⣀⣿⢇⣿ ⣾⠏⠀⢠⡽⡄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣸⠃⠺⢿⣿⣿⣼⠃ ⢿⠀⠀⠀⢻⣹⡄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⡟⠀⠀⠈⢹⡗⣸⠀ ⠘⡇⠀⠀⠸⣿⢷⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣸⠀⠀⢀⢠⣿⢱⡇⠀ ⠀⢹⡄⠀⣜⣿⡟⢷⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⡟⢶⣶⣛⣛⣿⣿⠁⠀ ⠀⠀⢿⡔⠛⠛⢻⣆⠹⡄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣾⠀⠀⠈⠉⣶⠂⡏⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⢳⡀⠀⠀⢿⡆⢻⡄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⠴⠶⣤⣤⣀⠀⢰⠃⠀⠀⠀⠴⡿⢸⠃⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠈⢧⠠⠤⠿⣿⡄⢿⡀⣠⡴⠞⠛⣻⢾⡉⠁⠀⠐⢯⣾⣭⢷⣿⠀⢤⣀⣰⣾⢧⡏⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣆⠀⠀⣈⣷⡘⡿⠁⠀⠀⢸⣷⠿⣿⡟⣷⣶⢼⣼⣿⣿⡇⠀⣀⢽⣿⡿⡿⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣇⠀⢹⣿⣇⡇⠀⠀⣤⣾⣿⣿⢹⣧⣤⣍⡿⠀⠀⠉⣩⣿⡫⣿⣿⣗⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣹⠙⠛⢩⣯⢿⡄⠀⠉⣸⣿⡼⡄⠙⠻⠿⠃⠀⠀⠀⣾⣏⣽⣻⠿⣾⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠠⡏⠀⠀⠀⣶⡟⣧⠀⠈⢻⣿⡳⣿⣷⡦⣤⣥⣰⣶⣾⡇⣩⡽⣿⣶⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢹⣠⣴⢿⡿⣿⣾⡦⣤⣴⣶⣻⣿⣿⣿⣶⣾⣿⣿⡗⠈⠛⢷⣿⠾⣻⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢠⡟⠀⠀⠀⡙⣟⣿⢻⡸⣿⣿⣯⣿⣿⣿⣽⣿⣿⣿⡳⠤⠄⠈⠻⣿⡏⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⡇⠀⠀⠀⣧⢿⣿⣶⢷⢹⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡟⣿⣿⣿⣍⠃⠀⢌⣼⣿⣯⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⢧⠀⠀⠀⠉⠛⣹⣷⣾⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣽⣿⡟⢿⣷⢤⡚⣻⡿⣼⠃⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣤⡄⠀⠀⠀⢩⣿⣿⣟⣸⠻⣞⣿⡿⡿⠙⠙⠳⠀⠑⠐⣿⣿⣰⡏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⢿⡇⣿⢹⠀⠉⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣾⣿⣿⣷⡏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢻⣿⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⣿⠘⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣷⡟⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⡇⠁⠀⠀⣠⣠⣿⣿⡀⠳⠀⡤⣶⣶⡄⠠⠤⠤⣹⣿⡟⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣇⠀⠀⠒⠿⠯⠽⠛⣠⣤⣾⣿⠿⢿⡭⠤⠬⣿⣿⡿⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢻⠀⠶⠤⠤⠤⠴⠾⢿⡿⠋⠉⠑⠺⠛⠛⢻⣿⣿⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣾⣿⠗⠶⠶⠶⣞⣓⣻⢿⣿⢸⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣿⠀⠤⠤⠤⢼⣿⡯⣀⣀⡀⠀⠀⣰⣾⣿⣿⢸⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⡋⠉⠀⠀⣾⣽⣿⣏⠋⣾⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠙⠛⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣿⣿⣷⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣿⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⢿⣇⢾⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠻⠗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠁⠈⠁⠀

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Ozzy.......

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣴⡖⠒⢶⡄ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⠁⠀⠀⡧⣿ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⠇⠀⠀⣸⡇⣾ ⠀⣀⣠⣤⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡞⠀⠀⣀⣿⢇⣿ ⣾⠏⠀⢠⡽⡄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣸⠃⠺⢿⣿⣿⣼⠃ ⢿⠀⠀⠀⢻⣹⡄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⡟⠀⠀⠈⢹⡗⣸⠀ ⠘⡇⠀⠀⠸⣿⢷⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣸⠀⠀⢀⢠⣿⢱⡇⠀ ⠀⢹⡄⠀⣜⣿⡟⢷⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⡟⢶⣶⣛⣛⣿⣿⠁⠀ ⠀⠀⢿⡔⠛⠛⢻⣆⠹⡄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣾⠀⠀⠈⠉⣶⠂⡏⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⢳⡀⠀⠀⢿⡆⢻⡄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⠴⠶⣤⣤⣀⠀⢰⠃⠀⠀⠀⠴⡿⢸⠃⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠈⢧⠠⠤⠿⣿⡄⢿⡀⣠⡴⠞⠛⣻⢾⡉⠁⠀⠐⢯⣾⣭⢷⣿⠀⢤⣀⣰⣾⢧⡏⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣆⠀⠀⣈⣷⡘⡿⠁⠀⠀⢸⣷⠿⣿⡟⣷⣶⢼⣼⣿⣿⡇⠀⣀⢽⣿⡿⡿⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣇⠀⢹⣿⣇⡇⠀⠀⣤⣾⣿⣿⢹⣧⣤⣍⡿⠀⠀⠉⣩⣿⡫⣿⣿⣗⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣹⠙⠛⢩⣯⢿⡄⠀⠉⣸⣿⡼⡄⠙⠻⠿⠃⠀⠀⠀⣾⣏⣽⣻⠿⣾⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠠⡏⠀⠀⠀⣶⡟⣧⠀⠈⢻⣿⡳⣿⣷⡦⣤⣥⣰⣶⣾⡇⣩⡽⣿⣶⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢹⣠⣴⢿⡿⣿⣾⡦⣤⣴⣶⣻⣿⣿⣿⣶⣾⣿⣿⡗⠈⠛⢷⣿⠾⣻⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢠⡟⠀⠀⠀⡙⣟⣿⢻⡸⣿⣿⣯⣿⣿⣿⣽⣿⣿⣿⡳⠤⠄⠈⠻⣿⡏⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⡇⠀⠀⠀⣧⢿⣿⣶⢷⢹⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡟⣿⣿⣿⣍⠃⠀⢌⣼⣿⣯⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⢧⠀⠀⠀⠉⠛⣹⣷⣾⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣽⣿⡟⢿⣷⢤⡚⣻⡿⣼⠃⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣤⡄⠀⠀⠀⢩⣿⣿⣟⣸⠻⣞⣿⡿⡿⠙⠙⠳⠀⠑⠐⣿⣿⣰⡏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⢿⡇⣿⢹⠀⠉⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣾⣿⣿⣷⡏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢻⣿⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⣿⠘⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣷⡟⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⡇⠁⠀⠀⣠⣠⣿⣿⡀⠳⠀⡤⣶⣶⡄⠠⠤⠤⣹⣿⡟⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣇⠀⠀⠒⠿⠯⠽⠛⣠⣤⣾⣿⠿⢿⡭⠤⠬⣿⣿⡿⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢻⠀⠶⠤⠤⠤⠴⠾⢿⡿⠋⠉⠑⠺⠛⠛⢻⣿⣿⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣾⣿⠗⠶⠶⠶⣞⣓⣻⢿⣿⢸⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣿⠀⠤⠤⠤⢼⣿⡯⣀⣀⡀⠀⠀⣰⣾⣿⣿⢸⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⡋⠉⠀⠀⣾⣽⣿⣏⠋⣾⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠙⠛⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣿⣿⣷⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣿⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⢿⣇⢾⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠻⠗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠁⠈⠁⠀
Yeah noticed that. I've heard nothing but crazy train in my house for the last month as my kid is trying to learn it on guitar

drewm3i

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wow Ted, just checking in and catching up. Hope all is well and what a beast of a boat you have there! I assume you got rid of the Formula 330 SS?

tpenfield

Staff member
Wow Ted, just checking in and catching up. Hope all is well and what a beast of a boat you have there! I assume you got rid of the Formula 330 SS?
Hey Drew, nice to hear from you.

Yes, I sold the Formula 330 in Sept. 2021 to a guy who took it down south to the gulf of Mexico area. In October of that year, I bought 'the beast' (2016 Cruisers Yacht 338 Bowrider). It is one of those 'crossover' style of boats where you have both forward seating and a mid-cabin. It has the new style of Mercruiser engines (not GM-based) and all the fancy Smartcraft and Axuis stuff. Was a real headache at first, but I am getting used to it. It is a lot heavier than the Formula (same LOA, but a bit wider beam and deeper 'V' hull) . . . as such, it sucks down the gasoline like nobody's business. o_O

This will be my second season with it, so getting all the stuff done that I thought of doing during the first season of usage.