My 82 Glastron somewhat resto

Re: My 82 Glastron somewhat resto

Motor is out, wasnt as bad as i thought.. It was much easier pulling the exhaust risers off to get it out. Not much room in there.... Today im going to do some cleaning and inspection. Ill try to get some pics up later today. Trans looks to be in good shape, but im going to really clean and check to be sure..

Coming out
boat13.png

boat7.png

Before some cleaning, i dont understand why people cant take care of stuff..
boat9.jpg

After alittle cleaning, all the foam appears to be dry. It reallt looks like this transom was all redone before. I forgot my steam cleaner, i wanted to really steam clean all of this to get a better idea
boat11.jpg

Friscoboater

Captain

From what I can tell that transom looks stock. Have you gotten any farther?

Ill be working on it this weekend, I wanted to bring the boat home, but we getting a nice 10" of snow here tonight. So it will stay in they garage up at my camp. I unfortuately dont have the room in my garage at home, Im going de-greaser and clean the crap out of the bay. If i do have to do the transom, i couldnt find in your thread on what you used to seal the gimbal ring on the transom?

Friscoboater

Captain

There is a little seal that goes in the small channel in the outside of the gimble ring. You use bellows adhesive to hold that on (google it) and then I used 3M 5200 sealant to make sure it did not leak. I only used that on the outside though, not the inside.

So getting the engine ready. Im going with a 350 from a 1980 chevy p/u. I have a buddy rebuilding the motor now. Im looking into a cam for the motor, there sooooo many choice's to go with. Does anyone have a recomendation for a good ecomonical cam? I really dont want anything crazy. Also is there anything else i should look out for going from the 305 to 350??

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Go to Summitracing.com, get their tech number and talk to them about a cam...They usually have pretty good advisors...
Just tell them what you are building, the operating range you expect, application, carb size, exhaust size, type of intake, etc...

The only thing I would be concerned with going from a 305 to a 350 is the smile and pucker factors...:D

Awesome GT ill do that.. yes im pretty siked about the upgrade. I brought the boat home today, we have a great stretch of weather coming and need to dry things out. so i definatley need to replace some stringers. I drilled the transom in a couple of spots. The bottom by the bilge drain is dry, the corners are alittle wet, be it doesnt seem rotted. Im debating if i should just pull the rest of the housing?? also do i use pine for the stringers?

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

NO Pine!...At least that's what I've heard...I don't remember where I read that or why...if its going in a boat, you should use rot resistant woods like mahogany, cyprus, or something like that...BUT, that stuff can get real pricey and is usually used mostly in all wood boats...

For our fiberglass boats you can cut your stringers from Arauco plywood, Marine Grade plywood, or a good quality exterior grade Fir plywood...if the stringers are longer than eight feet, you can scab/splice/sister them together to make them longer...or you can make laminated stringers like I did...

Also, just a heads up...if there is any rot at all in the transom, no matter how little, you are doing a lot of work and spending a lot of money, just to have the transom come back and bite you in the rear [literally]...rot is like rust or cancer, unless you completely eliminate it, it will continue to spread...Just my opinion, but you have already gone this far....

Decker83

Commander

I'm with GT1M ^^^^^^ For the price of a sheet of Arauco plywood you can have a new transom and stringers and new deck.
Not much more work or cost to replace the transom.
Better to be safe than sorry down the road. It's just to easy to replace the transom now.

I definately going to to it all.. ive already bonded with this boat lol.. I did alittle more tonight, pulled the gas tank and did some more cleaning. Im going to pull the gimbal housing next. Than ill start the tear down of the transom

Friscoboater

Captain

I am glad to see that you are doing it up right. Make sure you post up some pictures as you go.

So i pulled the gimball housing and bell housing tonight, ill post some pics soon. The lower transom is all water and soft. So do i need to grind the entire transom down?? how the hell do i remove the old transom?? Im super excited about this

Friscoboater

Captain

WOW... I am glad you decided to do it all, because that transom is really rotten. It also looks factory.

Im pretty sure its factory.Its definately toast. What a pain in the butt, how the hell do you get the old transom out? I just stopped for some lunch, but im slowly chipping away at it..

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Circular Saw with blade set just shy of the depth of the wood and make multiple crisscrossing cuts and then hammer and chisel, OR...

4 1/2" grinder with rubber backup pad and 24 grit resin coated sanding discs. Tyvek suit, REALLY GOOD respirator, Goggles (or a Full face respirator preferred) Baby powder all over our body to keep down the itch. Couple of hours and the transom wood will be gone.

Friscoboater

Captain

I used several chisels and a hammer on both of my boats. It took some time, but it got done.