my 68 Starcraft Holiday project

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: my 68 Starcraft Holiday project

Congrats on the completion Kev, She looks great. Can I bring mine by now for you to finish?:D

Thanks Jeep! But trust me she is a long way from finished..More like "usable"!
And sure, bring it down, it will be ready in Oh...2 years?? lol

I had a few nice trips out this summer with blown relays and manually tilted my 80hp up and down when needed. It's not exactly fun but it gets the job done.

Glad to see you enjoying the weather out on the rig:D

It sucks but for now....for now...It gets me where I wanna be...On the water!

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

So here's the rundown of todays day on the water..
Diane, her daughter AND the MIL are all on the boat..We run around fish..I actually felt really sick..Heat exhaustion or something...dizzy, no energy...but oh well...

We were near the end of our day when Diane's daughter (sitting in the starboard jumpseat says "I JUST GOT SQUIRTED WITH HOT WATER!!!!!!!!!!"
WTH??? I had Diane take the helm after I dropped her down to about 15 mph..Lift the engine cover and the hose feeding into the T-Stat had a huge GASH in it....CRAPOLA..They dont last longer than 30 years anymore, damnit!

Bilge pump gets the water out..Shut it down and I put a roll of Gorilla Tape in the glovebox the other day and we taped the 'ELL outta her and limped back in to the dock...

Funniest thing was when we got home Diane said...I am SOLD on BILGE PUMPS!!!! If you want a bigger one or another one that's a good idea to me!
lol

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I am always so nervous to open up your thread man! It's like a scary movie or something - whats going to happen next???!!!:eek::eek::eek:

I so wish you could catch a few breaks man!:D

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I am always so nervous to open up your thread man! It's like a scary movie or something - whats going to happen next???!!!:eek::eek::eek:

I so wish you could catch a few breaks man!:D

lol..Thats funny bro....It's like a 1950 TV serial episode...WILL KEV TURN IN TIME TO MISS THE FALLS??? TUNE IN TO HIS NEXT POSTS..lol
This was just one of those things...If I was smart I woulda said to myself..Kev..That motor is 43 years old...When where these hoses put on?
Would a 20.00 hose ruin my day? My motor?...
Its a cheap fix, Thank the Good Lord above!

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hey Kev,

Sorry to hear you had a hose problem, makes me think about changing mine. I have a new engine etc.... but I ran out of $ at the end and left the old soft hoses.

Also, I looked at your pics, is there a way to wire snake a new wire down you gunwales? I will send you the 20' of marine 16 gauge 2 wire to rewire her :D just so you can trim her proper.

What I did with mine to replace some wiring is undid the loom and taped the new to the old and pulled it through

Let me know, I have a 500' spool

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Hey Kev,

Sorry to hear you had a hose problem, makes me think about changing mine. I have a new engine etc.... but I ran out of $ at the end and left the old soft hoses.

Also, I looked at your pics, is there a way to wire snake a new wire down you gunwales? I will send you the 20' of marine 16 gauge 2 wire to rewire her :D just so you can trim her proper.

What I did with mine to replace some wiring is undid the loom and taped the new to the old and pulled it through

Let me know, I have a 500' spool

Thats very cool of ya to offer Bill..
Whats kept me from fixing this is the wire RIGHT AT the transom at the OD.To do it right I think I have to pull a bunch of crapola to get to her..I'll snap pics tomorrow

BobsGlasstream

Commander

CheapboatKev,
If you are going to replace the entire wire then you are correct about pulling a bunch of stuff. I replaced mine with on the bench and it was still a PITA.
Good luck with that.
Take care
Bob

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Had a great day on the water..ran up and down the river with no mechanical issues at all...I wont say murphy's gone...but he aint been home for a few days!

Fished most of the day..Think these are crappie..from what I know of freshwater fishing which I hafta say aint much!
Here's Diane's daughter Zoe..I let her drive the B-ticket for awhile when we were heading back in...I think she's hooked!

2010-09-18163442.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That looks like a Blue Gill to me. Glad you had a nice day on the water!

sprintst

Commander

It's always something but you do have a cool boat and it's worth the effort since you know she can fly (on and off the water) :)

It's cool that you're out on the water and are at least having some fun as I'm still in dry docks. I'm going to buy a roll of that Gorilla tape and keep it in the boat with the epoxy putty and spare tire inflater goop in a can that I keep in the repair kit.

I'm good at the transom with all the rewiring but I'm replacing everything else I can't trust as well.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey Kev,
It's great to see you on the water and enjoying the boat.
We'll keep watching for more pic's and video.
Take care
Bob

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

So I found some led samples I had tucked away in my demo kit..2 sealed plastic boards that draw a total of 4 watts..So I went and installed them under the bow. I wired them to the stern light, since if its dark enough for the stern light, I may as well have these on..
Man is my boat dirty under there...lol

222834799_photobucket_17840_.jpg

fshngho

Lieutenant

That looks cool Kev. It has a nice erie Halloweenish green glow to it. And so many benefits:
1. Locate that dropped beer at night
2. Help find that dropped fish (oops, that was HA)
3. Quicker to locate misplaced boat in field
4. Become famous --" I swear I seend a big 'ol UFO flyin over da water dat night"
5. Make others jealous...ahem, I want one.:redface:

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey Kev,
The lights look pretty cool. If it gets to dirty under there just turn the lights off. :D:p
Take care
Bob

North Beach

Commander

Kev, I'm confused. You don't have trim, just tilt right?

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Kev, I'm confused. You don't have trim, just tilt right?

No rams arms...no tilt..

I have the arms, and the pump, even the switch..all good...It trims UP...but the GREEN trim DOWN wire at the back of the transom, is corroded into green dust.
I have to remove everything to get at it to rewire it..

sprintst

Commander

My trim wires looked rotten going out to the leg so the trim limit switches were the first thing I ordered.

I'll see what I can find to get them replaced without pulling anything.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

On the lights
Thanks guys..I have others I may play with...
These are very yellow as they are only 2700 kelvin...which on the lighting scale is equal to the average candle flame color.
I do have some "company" LED strands that are 6500 Kelvin...Silicone based, waterproof and flexible that are close to $100.00 a foot...If I "misplaced" too many of these somebody would notice! lol..

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Nice, those sound super cool! I definitely want some lighting under my gunwales and in the cabin. It is foreign to me that there are super cheap lighting and super expensive lighting, I guess I don't get it?

Rock on buddy!

Status
Not open for further replies.