My 1968 Glastron GT160 rebuild......

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Fit the Bimini this afternoon...and started 320 sanding. Supposed to rain all weekend. Do you guys know the ins and out of humidity vs painting???

The Blue on the Bimini matches the interior...

More Sanding tomorrow.......

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Humidity/moisture is not your friend while painting ..
Hey the top needs to go up front .. How else are ya gunna hang the disco ball .. :D

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Humidity/moisture is not your friend while painting ..
Hey the top needs to go up front .. How else are ya gunna hang the disco ball .. :D

Thanks Sam, what are the parameters?? what is the end result? orange peel, slow flash?? is there any thing that can be done with the mix to hedge the bet??

Disco ball goes directly above the bow walk through.....

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Well down here it's always humid . Seems like I fight the o/p . High temp reducers seems to help .. Might need some input from our Okie buddy .. How humid are we talking in the garage .. 60 70%

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well down here it's always humid . Seems like I fight the o/p . High temp reducers seems to help .. Might need some input from our Okie buddy .. How humid are we talking in the garage .. 60 70%

Saturday forecast is between 70% and 76% from 8 AM to 8 PM, Sunday is 93% RH at 8 am dropping thru the day to 71 @ 5 pm.....

I think WoG told me that I could add Mineral Spirits to slow the flash...

What do you guys do down south??? When I was in Florida...it was at least 80% every dang day!!!

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Try and shoot early in the morning or very late afternoon .. Like you said maybe a little more ms then acetone ..
Down here we just sweat and slap mosquitoes .... :rolleyes: That just gives us an excuse to take a break and to pop another top .. :joyous:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Top looks good Cor. Don't know on the rustoleum, the automotive paints use different reducers for different temp ranges. It would make since that the mineral spirits would slow down the flash since it evaporates slower.

zool

Captain
Hey Cor, looking really good!

The problem you get with high humidity is blushing on the surface, that's condensation settling on the paint film. This is because the evaporation of the solvent and the air coming from the spray gun lowers the temperature of the substrate right below the standard dew point. The condition is worsened with the utilization of unbalanced or too fast drying reducer or thinner. It also can be harder to control with a paint like Rustoleum, which is air cured, not solvent cured like auto or other catalyzed paints.

BTW, heres a handy little booklet from MS, with most every paint problem addressed.

http://www.martinsenour-autopaint.co...otingGuide.pdf

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Sam, Arch and Zool, thanks!! That book rocks!!!!

I think this is the plan....mix with mineral spirits to slow the flash and start the blast heater to dry and heat the garage. shoot and then start hearter again. till flash occurs.

Bad plan??

Last edited:

zool

Captain
Heat is a good idea, propane heat tho, not so much....it may add humidity...electric heat would dry things out nice tho...

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Do you have a dehumidifier you could run in the garage overnight before you shoot, and while it dries? Might be worth a shot if you have got one...

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Much appreciated Gents!!

Electric heater is going in the garage!!

Now wait....

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Looking forward to how the paint turns out. Back to the grill today, my son's high school graduation party.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
So here is today progress....

Masked up and ready for lipstick....

Final Lipstick..

More next post..

zool

Captain
"Electric heater is going in the garage!!"

Remember to turn it off before you paint! :eek: :D

I hate waiting on weather...