My 1968 Glastron GT160 rebuild......

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
2nd coat shot...now wait....its OK though, I have a a toilet to fix, hair cuts for me and the boys. After looking at these pix, also some shop clean up!!! No wonder I cant find anything!!!! its a pig stye!!!!

Different angles, so you guys dont think Im recycling photos!! :eek:

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Question for your guys....when I lay out this stripe.....should I paint the white first, then mask the stripes or shoot the blue and then lay out the white strips on top of the blue??

zool

Captain
In my opinion, it always looks crisper, when the stripe is layed ist, then the main color. Looking real good Cor! That is one sexy boat ;)

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
In my opinion, it always looks crisper, when the stripe is laid first, then the main color. Looking real good Cor! That is one sexy boat ;)

Thanks Zool, kinda what I was thinking.

Im trying to speed things up a bit... another round of baking in the sun!!

Very happy with the way the 2nds coat looks, I ended up with 2 sags in the primer, at point of the bow. Trying to fill 2 tiny pinholes, other than that, Im not seeing anything now to fill and fair. I think I may steel wool this coat and see if I need one more.....Im trying to buffer my itch for color!!!:eek:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Looking good Cor. On the stripes. paint them first (don't tape them off, just let the overspray feather out), then put on the top coat. Otherwise you have to tape off the entire field color....a lot more work than just taping the stripes.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Looking good Cor. On the stripes. paint them first (don't tape them off, just let the overspray feather out), then put on the top coat. Otherwise you have to tape off the entire field color....a lot more work than just taping the stripes.

What do you mean dont tape them and let the ovespray feather? I was thinking I would paint a whit stripe, then mask the stripes (the tape wouls be the stripe at this point) and then paint the blue...pull the tape while wet to let the tape edge ease.....I dont think Im skilled enough or steady handed to free paint them...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I think that's what he means . paint the stripe area and let it fade to nothing so no unwanted paint edge .

Tnstratofam

Commander
Your moving along nicely. I think what arch meant was just what you're thinking. Paint the stripes first letting the white overspray onto the primer then mask off the stripe and paint the blue. The white formthe stripe will end up wider than needed, but the blue will will cover it leaving a crisper stripe versus trying to put the stripe down ontop of the main color.

Mark72233

Ensign
Cor, that looks fantastic, you make it look easy. I set up my gear and had my first try painting with a spray gun. Didn't turn out bad. Gun wasn't tuned well on the first passes and got a couple of small runs but overall looks pretty good for my first try. Sun was going down and I didn't have good lighting. Now I know why paint booths have all those lights, I couldn't see the wet edge very well. Thanks for the advise and the videos, that made it much easier.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Cor, that looks fantastic, you make it look easy. I set up my gear and had my first try painting with a spray gun. Didn't turn out bad. Gun wasn't tuned well on the first passes and got a couple of small runs but overall looks pretty good for my first try. Sun was going down and I didn't have good lighting. Now I know why paint booths have all those lights, I couldn't see the wet edge very well. Thanks for the advise and the videos, that made it much easier.

Your welcome Mark and thanks. Just passing on the knowledge. I learned shooting paint from those videos, WoG and Archbuilder. It takes time.... the wet edge is hard to see especially id you are shooting light colors...the key (in my opinion) is a smooth consistent movement. Gun held properly. If you get a run or sag...spent too much time in a localized spot.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
So here is todays update, 320 sanded the top cap last night. Cleaned up, acetone bath this morning. Taped and masked and shot the parts that are supposed to be white.

Bean Dude helping get it in the water!!

Paint on next post....

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Paint....

This is whre the racing stripe goes...

So no more action today ....need this stuff to dry. In a couple days I can lay out the stripes and shoot paint. I will have to put garage back together tonight since there are chance of storms here again tonight.

Hope yo have a great rest of your weekend!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Ahhh give a kid an air tool and let him have at it .. At that age they think it's cool and fun but when they get older they figure out that it's just work .. :lol:
Looks great Cor !!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Nice work Cor, its a great feeling to see the paint after all that prep work!

Does feel good....like you are almost there....I was living in the glory until I looked at my 2 1/2 pages list of things left to do....:eek:

I did go down to see the fish cops today and got the boat registered. This is one nice thing about Kansas....I was in and out in 10 minutes. KS is a no title state, dont need one for the boat, trailer or engine. All thats required is a bill of sale and the hull ID#. Dont even have to take the boat to the office!!!!!

I couldnt wait any longer...the whites had dried in the hot as heck garage for 36 hours, so I started masking....I still need to vacuum the dust, hang a paper skirt around the hull and acetone bath, but its almost time for blue!!!!! :D

I was going to cut my own tapeto the dimentions needed for the racing stripe, but I chickend out and didnt want to risk a bleed through...so I stopped at the auto paint supply store and got this: expensive, but awesome for curves!!!

You will have to bend your mind a bit here, but the blue tape stripes will be the white stripes after the blue paint is on and tape has been peeled.

The rest of the stuff..

Thats it for today, have a good evening.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Glad you got the registration ready. Tennessee is like Kansas too a no title state. Bill of sale and HIN is all you need here. Makes it pretty quick at the TWRA to get them registered. I am so excited to see the blue on.:pop2::pop2::pop2:. I am bending my mind and I can see she's gonna ROCK!!!!!:rockon:

zool

Captain
No title needed is sweet, in The Peoples Republic of NJ, you need the HIN, and a title with amount paid for tax, and if the price seems too low, its unacceptable ;)

looks pretty good with a blue tape stripe on white also...just slap the motor on and run it :D