Michigan to chicago trip help!

jserb

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Michigan to chicago trip help!

JohnandJuliesGreatChicagoAdventu-1214.jpg

Saturday
We went to the Shed Aquarium, walked around downtown for about 4 hours, and ate some of that famous Chicago PIZZA!!! Then walked down to Navy Pier, and then over to the beach just North of Navy Pier?.Spent an hour there just looking at all the boats anchored off shore/with the city in the background?.wife and I went swimming?

JohnandJuliesGreatChicagoAdventu-1546.jpg

JohnandJuliesGreatChicagoAdventu-281.jpg

Monroe Harbor from the Sedd
JohnandJuliesGreatChicagoAdventu-2237.jpg

JohnandJuliesGreatChicagoAdventu-2011.jpg

Then for dinner?.well there was no dinner, we were so stuffed from the pizza we drank our dinner. We went back up to Belmont harbor and sat on the break wall and looked out at the lake we concurred to get here?.Then around 9:30 the crew met the wife and I at the harbor to take the boat BACK downtown?..

jserb

Chief Petty Officer

JohnandJuliesGreatChicagoAdventu-1065.jpg

Belmont Harbor, Club house in background.
JohnandJuliesGreatChicagoAdventu-1731.jpg

JohnandJuliesGreatChicagoAdventu-1907.jpg

It was dark by 8:45 so we had great views of the city as we ran along the coast down to Navy Pier for the Saturday night Fireworks!
JohnandJuliesGreatChicagoAdventu-531.jpg

JohnandJuliesGreatChicagoAdventu-2101.jpg

jserb

Chief Petty Officer

JohnandJuliesGreatChicagoAdventu-1462.jpg

JohnandJuliesGreatChicagoAdventu-1755.jpg

The fireworks were great. After, we then proceeded back through the locks and down the Chicago River to see the city at night.
JohnandJuliesGreatChicagoAdventu-2246.jpg

JohnandJuliesGreatChicagoAdventu-311.jpg

JohnandJuliesGreatChicagoAdventu-1568.jpg

We picked up two extra passengers for this trip, the wife had some friends that live in the city come along.

jserb

Chief Petty Officer

thats all for now!~

jserb

Chief Petty Officer

DSCN1123-1.jpg

DSCN1107-1.jpg

After going through the Locks we then shot back north to Belmont Harbor and docked and had a few pops on the boat for an hour or two. We then all went to the hotel and called it a night, knowing the next day was the last of our adventure.
DSCN1132-1.jpg

jserb

Chief Petty Officer

We had been watching the weather all weekend, it was supposed to rain Saturday, but it ended up being 90 and sunny, and it was supposed to rain Sunday on our ride home, so we opted not to go around the shoreline of lake Michigan and just shoot home Sunday morning. So at 730Am 630AM EST we all met at Belmont, loaded up all our gear and got ready to go?..but of course we had to check where those storms were (Saturday night they said it wouldn?t rain till 12pm. Well when we checked the weather at 630 am we found out that the storm came quicker than expected. There was a storm north of us over the lake, so we checked the weather buoy in that area and it said 1ft seas?.. Where we were there was no rain in sight. After carful weather reading we decided our window of opportunity was now and we needed to get on it. I thought in case of a breakdown I could motor on one engine south towards shore; away from the storm?s path. SO we got in the boat and headed out to the lake. When we got out there we found that it was fairly calm, smoother than when we came. Seas were 1- 1.5 ft, so with that knowledge I opened her up a little more and ran at 42 mph.

DSCN1146-1.jpg

DSCN1149-1.jpg

how about that...this dumb thing was working again?!

DSCN1152-1.jpg

DSCN1153-1.jpg

DSCN1150-1.jpg

jserb

Chief Petty Officer

As we shot across the lake we watched the storm north of us, all the while checking the weather on a smart phone to see where it was, what the winds were doing, and where it was headed. Exactly 90 mins later we were at the St Joseph light! - (just a note, i noticed how dark these photos came out, it wasn't nearly that dark out there, it looks just horrible, but i think the digital camera had the flash on or something, because it was not dark at all, just overcast...so dont think we went out in a storm, the storm im referencing was 75 miles noth of us and another one 100miles west of Chicago......)
DSCN1156-1.jpg

DSCN1158-1.jpg

Then someone up above opend up the clouds for us as we crossed!!!
DSCN1170-1.jpg

DSCN1182-1.jpg

This is a photo of the storm that was north, when we started it was 75 miles north; by the time we were 20miles from mi it was only about 3 miles north of us
DSCN1176-1.jpg

BUT we made it! held a steady 42 MPH all the way home. At that point as we were pulling into St Joe's we all felt so proud of our trip. It went perfect!

jserb

Chief Petty Officer

DSCN1198.jpg

Exactly 90 mins later we were at the St Joseph light. And as we were pulling into the dock the lake started to get darker. The storm was just hitting Chicago as we were pulling the boat out.

DSCN1200-1.jpg

DSCN1202-1.jpg

DSCN1205-1.jpg

DSCN1206-1.jpg

jserb

Chief Petty Officer

DSCN1207.jpg

DSCN1208.jpg

DSCN1209.jpg

Seacrest Out!
DSCN1210.jpg

this storm was angry at us that we beat it, so it decided it was gonna chase us the rest of the trip. By the time we pulled the boat out and stopped for breakfast the storm was on our tail.
DSCN1213.jpg

As we shot down I-94 heading across the state that storm followed us the whole way, and yes it did hit us, just as we pulled into our driveway. We sat in the car pondering going out?.thought about just putting another DVD in. But we didn?t, we waited for the storm to die down and we pulled all the gear out of the boat and then waited about 30 mins for the storm to pass. Once it did, we went to the local boat launch and we put her back in the water and took her back to her dock behind the house. As we pulled up to the dock and tied her back up, I took a step back and was surprised that not only did we take this thing across lake Michigan, through the Chicago locks, and past the Sears Tower, but we built this thing and here it sits at its home, as if it had never left for the weekend. I don?t ever think the neighbors noticed it was gone?..
So a perfect trip, crew was perfect, weather was perfect, boat ran perfect, what more could you ask for?
So that?s the Great Chicago adventure. 380 driving miles, 140 boating miles, 120gallons, and a trip we?ll never forget!

Thanks iboats for helping us build the boat; learn how to grease the trailer bearings and how to properly trailer a boat, and reading this thread on our adventure!

-not a bad trip; I even impressed my lady while doing it?.

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds friggin awesome! Michigan was nice on Sat, my girlfriend and I were up at the Holland beach. I was hoping you made it in Sun before those storms! They were nasty!

Congrats on the sucessful trip!
Terry

J. Howard

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Congrats on your trip -- glad you had a good time. I was out there in my boat on Saturday night with some out of town guests, watching the fireworks as well. I wish I'd thought to hail you on the VHF!

As it happens, my buddies in their Trojan were not out there last week, so it must have been someone else that you saw.

Congrats again on an awesome trip. I'm glad it worked out for you.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Glad to hear the trip went well, sounds like a good time.:)

Now you should be ready to run all the way up to Isle Royale since the shakedown cruise went so well:D

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sounds like a great trip with great documentation and lots of fun.

Dick Sorensen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In the Navy, upon return, you'd have heard 'Bravo Zulu'......well done.

JasonCarp

Cadet

Congrats on a successful trip. I wouldn't hesitate to run that boat in 4-6 footers that distance. It was made for big water.

Happy boating.

Jason

jserb

Chief Petty Officer

yay! a comment! Iv seen the number of views go up, but no one talkin! Thanks Jason! i tell you i was really impressed how that boat got up on the waves. It seemed as if it was actually a smoother ride with a little more speed, it just seem to get out of the water and span the crest of the waves...

So now that the trip is done I'm getting ready to plan next years great adventure. Thinkin about the 1000 islands in NY. However if anyone has some ideas let me know, i only have a year to decided where were goin next!

As for the rest of the boating season, we will be doing most of it here on lake Erie, we will be going to Put In Bay OH (36 miles) at the end of the month, ill post those photos, and i think we will make one run up to Lake St Clair (42miles) other than that, just the weekend boating around the island that we live on, no "trips" like Chicago until next year...bank account can only afford one of those a year.....

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

For your trip next year I'd reccomend the Hessel, Cedarville area....Les Cheneaux Islands.

I was just up to the Les Cheneaux Islands last weekend. We had a lot of fun. There are a lot of neat little coves and bays to explore and you are really close to Mackinac Island to get the touristy things if you feel the need. You can also head over to Mackinaw City, Cheboygan or St. Ignace. With your boat you could also head over to the Soo Locks if you wanted.

I'll be posting about our trip soon...with pictures of course.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Glad to hear the trip went well, sounds like a good time.:)

Now you should be ready to run all the way up to Isle Royale since the shakedown cruise went so well:D

Did you see my recommendation? :p

I agree that the north channel of Lake Huron is worth visiting...gotta watch the limestone boulders the size of volkswagons up there though!

The Manitoulin Island area is pretty nice for summer cruising also, lots of protection when needed in between islands and stuff.:)