master bath remodel

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I think this will be the final (interior) project for the house. We bought in 08, built in 99 by an older builder whos design was stuck in the early 90s. So we had a couple decades to make up. Plus I'm compulsive on DIY.

this was the before. nice, large bath but really who needs a big open floor? No I don't normally keep a large trash can in there. Large 4x4 toilet area to the left, walk in closet to the left.

IEJGN8Y.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
been suspecting for a few months for reasons I cannot legally disclose that the fart fan was not connected to anything. I was correct...

HXNkhoO.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
so the plan...

we are eliminating the standard tub/shower and replacing with a zero entry, ada compliant walk in so the tub area will be expanded about a foot longer and wider. That (ripping out the wall) and the fart fan issue just told me hey lets tear out the entire ceiling.

8c4yUQ2.jpg

zgeMNAV.jpg

plus the back wall of the shower to make sure nothing hinky in that wall i needed to know early on.

MQ2Gvuh.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
next up was the doors. We had french doors that swung out, until we did the floating bed project and completely changed the bedroom we had to move them to inswing. But that blocked easy access to the light switches so I then got a piano hinge and made them fold in on themselves to the right - but when there they blocked about a quarter of the entry into the closet.

plan changed and custom doors by my cabinet guy and making smaller. So I had to attach some strips to both shrink and plumb of the crappy builder grade install.

921sVAY.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
jamb on and since making smaller will need to upsize the trim - this is a test piece.

5llEtfT.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
detour back to the fart fan

wife wants doors on the toilet area to give her a 'poop room'. Even though she will never, ever close the doors on it but mama gets what mama wants.

I decided to do two fans, one in the poop room and one in the general area, switched separately. Drilling this hole was not too much fun.

0M4hugW.jpg

The other fan is humidity sensing. I've set at 55% which my indoor sensors tell me we rarely hit.
Both are now properly vented thru the soffit. Both are now properly vented thru the soffit. We will be pulling 200 CFM's if i remember correctly. Plenty.

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
last post to get you current(ly bored)

Since we added the sunroom we had to close off the crawlspace and the new one accessing it is even smaller - you have to crawl into two to get in under the house. Add to that it is literally as far away from the bath project as one could get caused me to find a solution.

I present to you, the hatch...

8HX9boF.jpg

XwP4fkv.jpg

And to just over all the plumbing. I need to move the toilet (hopefully today) about 7 inches and study on how the new shower will impact things. I need to downsize the joists to accommodate the zero entry plus the upstairs bath i added a few years back comes in right there. This is the start of the drain system so not a huge amount of slope to work with.

SeNuU7C.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
@()$Q***!!!!!!!

CPVC.

I'm going to re-plumb the whole house after I get this done.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
A hatch, that's different
and of course as with any project... I chose the spot that had three subfloor panels intersect and of course the framers used approximately 4612 nails. I just sledged out and cut a full piece to replace. Nailed the finished floor to that.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
third trip to the store became this.

QQBjgrf.jpg

I have added replacing all the CPVC to this project. That crap is the devil.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
the hole....

To add the room we need for the shower, moving the toilet is needed even though it doesn't look like much. The area was 52" wide. Very nice but a bit much and I really don't use that area. We use the 'his and hers' approach to toilet usage. For me the test is to make a fist, put that fist on your nipple with elbows out. That is all you need for a toilet area. We are doing ADA compliant on the shower, toilet is what it is not sure of the compliance requirements there.

m0RTz4c.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
fun fact for the observant. The opening on the left is the entrance to what I call the Custom Cat Shi...house. The wall is shared by the washer and dryer in the laundry so when I was building a shelf to raise up the front loaders (not going to pay crazy money for the stands they try to sell you) I thought - hey. The cats enter here for their two cat boxes and then in the laundry there is a sliding door I built that allows to pull out the boxes for cleaning. Close, and they are gone. The other side of the shelf holds two laundry baskets. I also have a 3" vent in the floor with a bathroom vent assembly hooked up in the crawl space and on a rheostat to constantly pull a small amount of air out so no odors. It exits thru a foundation vent - nothing left in the crawlspace.

alldodge

Staff member
It worked out but wonder why not 90* then one pie to a 45* or 22*

gNW7keh.jpg

The new location does look good

Buddy of mine remodeled his and had his toilet sitting in his spare bed room for around 2 months. Used shopping bags to line the toilet, had a small table and some magazines next to it. Went out side for anything other then morning visits. He was single at the time :poop: :D

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
alldodge - I had supply of 45's and a half stick of the devil pipe so no new purchases.

but hten the pex and sharkbite pushons hit hard....

alldodge

Staff member
Got it
Agree those sharkbite fittings are expensive. I've used a few of them. A house I bought the PO buried one in the ground going to a hydrant. It came apart on me after a few years and found the yard flooding.

Currently use the Pex crimp fittings