master bath remodel

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
here is the waterslide for the kids to get to the pool. Back to the original pipe after just a few turns.

FAu8elj.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yeah the replumbing of the supply lines just got bumped up a few years on my to do list. It will be a part of this project. Not looking forward to more 'quality time' under the house but it has to happen. I may run all the main lines myself and hire out the penetrations. Plus going to put a shut off in the garage rather than running out back and sticking my entire arm down a questionable looking tube.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
picked up a couple old, solid wood, panel doors that were in burnout I was working on and we are replacing the old hollow core we had. Going to replace the top panel with some sort of obscure glass, haven't decided on pattern just yet but rain has always been my favorite.

this was test fit, turns out I prob marked a 5/8" when it should have been a 3/8" for the cut. But overall it was successful first run. Today finial cut(s) and hang. We'll leave up until almost done then paint and glass.

1Urnkwn.jpg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Ahh the memories of crawling around under the house .. Slab house now and glad of it ! Yep I made a separate poop room with door also .. Just wish the Admiral would figure out how to close it ... I mean I'm in it for better or worse but who wants to see that ... LOL!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yeah she closes the door to the bedroom and NEVER closes the bath door let alone a poop room door. But she wants them so...

and I had the crawl encapsulated a couple years ago so at least I have that./ Going to start the replumb next week. Need to cut two access panels today - one shower and the washer.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Well, with life and not wanting to interrupt the wife's life too much I have kinda just been planning, part buying, ordering granite, etc. But with my schedule the rest of the year I looked her in the eye and bravely asked if I can tear up her bathroom so I can keep my commitment to be done by EoY. I made sure to mention her toilet is in place and will never be not working. I got the go ahead to start it all and am still alive.

Headed under the house in a bit to kill the main water line in. Replacing the devil pipe (CPVC) with pex. Kinda scared to be jacking with the whole house at once. Done lots of plumbing in my day but.....

The lines are draining now.

So the plan is to cut at the input junction on the NW side of the house. The water heater is on the SE side of the house. Currently all cold lines tap off prior to the water heater but I'm not replacing everything just yet so I'm running in all the way to the water heater, will tap off where I cut into the current devil pipe start and then back feed all the cold from the water heater. The hots will continue as is. Then one day soon get help and replace all the other devil pipe. I have all the new run in the crawlspace, tee'd off to each location, just want to get help to stub up and put on all new line shut off valves. Also have all new outside garden faucets, prob wait to another day to do them since it is winter.

I am adding a main cut off in the garage. That was the plan to start but more so today as it has been raining here solid (like 10" last 36 hours) and the current cut of valve is elbow deep in water ending in muck. Not fun.

Sheetmetal

Seaman Apprentice
Electric hot water tank? Turn the power off before draining or you will need new elements.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Lots of work
It will be worth it. I'm not taking on any more new customers (have one with a bid in) so I told my wife my second full time job is our bathroom.

sheetmetal, gas and didn't drain.

fun story, after I did the underside and capped the other end at the water heater it was time to test. Turned the water back on, crawled back under and no leaks, water or air. Stopped at the fridge to grab a celebratory beer and talk to the wife. Go to the garage, grab the cutters and slowly start ratcheting them down. As it slowly sliced into the pex, air hissing out; great that meant it held pressure for the 15 or so minutes. Next ratchet down and more air THENS ALL HELL BROKE LOTS WATER EVERYWHERE!!!!

I forgot to turn off the water from the testing.....

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
no gonna lie. Every time I cut a hole in a house, a certain anatomical part of me puckers just a bit.

oCuJIpx.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
all trimmed out. I caulked prior to setting but still want to caulk around the J channel.

Xoeti0V.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
it is in the shower area, just protecting the neighbors from blindness should they happen to see me naked....

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
well, support is ready. I had to notch out the joists to accommodate the zero entry theme so I sistered on two 2x6 over the span. about 15 4" screws in each board. Had to work around a bunch of plumbing - this is the entry point for the water and the upstairs bath drain also ties in right here so the outer rim support posed some custom solutions for me. The one at the bottom of the pic is a 2x4 with supports underneath to the foundation wall then for fun I added another 2x4 of the side.

I have a couple 2x6 left, might add them. I've never done a tile floor and want to ensure no give to the floor, aka no grout cracking.

kAf8zd0.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
granite and shower pan ordered today. Each about a three week lead time. That gives me time to resurface the walls which includes furring out the outside wall to take the new supply plumbing. The sink faucets will be wall mounted so don't want the water on outside walls, even here in TN.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
ok finally decide to pull off all the pics to my laptop so could upload to imgur so be prepared to be bored.

the faucet hadles getting prepped

dLoQE7l.jpg