Marks 1991 16' Starcraft Fishmaster Restoration

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Marks 1991 16' Starcraft Fishmaster Restoration

You're quite welcome Mark... now hurry up, I want to see what it looks like when you're finished!;)

SierraMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Me too....these things always take a lot longer than I think. I did get a small piece of decking and one of the larger pieces covered tonight.

I hope I did the 88 adhesive correctly...it was pretty easy to work with. For the small piece I used a brush and painted it on both the wood and the vinyl. For the larger piece I used a foam roller and it worked great. I let the adhesive sit for about 20 minutes or so until it felt sticky but not wet. I then put the pieces together and I noticed that unlike contact cement I was able to work with the vinyl. When it was positioned correctly I rolled it really well and then I folded the pieces over the edges, rolled with the J Roller and stapled it on.

It does look good right now.

Tomorrow I will do the other 3 pieces of decking and maybe even the misc. pieces of rod locker and stuff.

-Mark

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Don't forget to check for air bubbles on the pieces you did tonight tomorrow, you may not have any... but I had a few that I had to roll out to the edge.

SierraMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, we've had our first snow of the season although it was short lived it does mean that I have lost the garage for any long term use.

I did manager to get all the decking, the rod lockerand the 2 storage locker tops all wrapped in Nautolex and I am very very happy with it. I will take some pics tomorrow and post them. I have put the pieces in the boat but have not yet riveted them in yet.

I will continue to work over the winter as time permits but I may have to wait until spring to finish putting the Nautolex on the reminder of the aluminum pieces.

I will post pics tomorrow and I will probably be asking some rivet questions like what length do I need?

-Mark

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Waiting for those pics...

SierraMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay, pics as promised, buuuuttttt....I had already put everything in the boat and covered it up so I uncovered half of it and took the pics so you can't see everything but I think you see enough.

I am very happy with it.

-Mark

IMG_4003 (1280x853).jpgIMG_4004 (1280x853).jpgIMG_4005 (1280x853).jpgIMG_4006 (1280x853).jpgIMG_4007 (1280x853).jpg

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Looks great Mark!!!

You're going to love how easy that stuff is to clean.

SierraMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well winter is finally over and I've woken from my hibernation and have been working on the boat.

I have learned something...not sure if its me or if it's boat restoration in general but every time I think I am going to do something specific, 3 or 4 other things that I didn't think of pop up and I need to do those before doing my original plan!

Ok, so the progress that I have made.

The aft and the middle piece of decking are in and riveted down. I added some additional flotation foam in areas that Starcraft left empty.

The 2 storage bins in the aft of the boat are also in...at least they are riveted to the hull, I still need to screw them into the deck.

The transom is in but not totally secured yet (I need new hardware)

I am still thinking that I will be done for May 1....that is the goal I set for myself last year when I started this.

I will keep you updated as I make progress.

-Mark

after.jpgbefore (1024x683).jpg

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

She's starting to look really beautiful Mark! I'm thinkin' the fish are going to be jumpin' in that boat just so they can see how good it looks and so they can be seen languishing in luxury.

You're going to be very happy with that boat when you're done. Between the epoxy coated MDO plywood and the marine vinyl you'll never have to worry about rot again and she'll last forever!

SierraMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Jigngrub. I cannot wait to get it done.

I found something funny yesterday when I took off the last piece of aluminum from the bow. It was a stubborn piece, had to break 8 screws to get it out....2 came out like they should!

When I finally got the aluminum panel off the front of the bow there was a smiley face looking up at me....I assume it's been there since the boat was built.

-Mark

IMG_20130330_120514.jpg

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Dang factory vandals!:joyous:

starcraftallthreadspaint_zps644d0ed1.jpg

What's up with the gnarly allthreads? Did you stick those in there?

SierraMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dang factory vandals!:joyous:

starcraftallthreadspaint_zps644d0ed1.jpg

What's up with the gnarly allthreads? Did you stick those in there?

That's 4 of the 8 screws I had to break to get the rubrail and the front aluminum piece off.

They are threaded holes through the hull. I will relocate the holes and put new hardware when I put it back together.

You can see the piece that was on there in the pic below.

-Mark

bow piece.jpg

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I understand now, part of the "mangling" you had to do to remove the stubborn nose piece. Looks like you put the "blue tip wrench" to those bolts, did you get tired of futzing with them?:D

SierraMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I understand now, part of the "mangling" you had to do to remove the stubborn nose piece. Looks like you put the "blue tip wrench" to those bolts, did you get tired of futzing with them?:D

Those that you can see were the first ones I took off...last fall. I tried everything to get them off and finally gave up and ended up using my Dremel to cut off the head of the screw and then thought I might be able to use vise grips to get the stud off...no go.

So yesterday I broke off the studs and figures I will just move the holes...it saved me a few grey hairs :)

-Mark

SierraMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, question of the day...

I will be putting in the transom permanently next weekend and I seem to remember when I took out the old one there was caulking...it could have been 5200 but I don't know because I think there was some clear stuff in there too.

My question is where should I use the 5200? If you look at the picture below you will see how the transom fits in a channel on the bottom. Should I put 5200 in there and along the sides of the transom?

Or should I just put the transom in, put everything else together and then use the 5200 to fill the gaps?

transom.jpg

Thanks,
Mark

jbcurt00

Staff member

Unless you're having an I HATE MYSELF moment or really want to F w/ the next owner of this rig NO 5200 in either of these 2 locations:
attachment.php

When you drill thru the transom for thru bolts (motor mount, re-attachment of the knee brace, etc), and along the seams between the splashwell and the transom & gunwales, 5200 & clean up the area & the sheet metal w/ mineral spirits. You will likely get 5200 quite a few places you don't want it: On you, the boat and the stuff around you & the boat when you're using it..........

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I don't think I'd even fill the gaps Mark, that stuff will bond like an adhesive an you'll play hell trying to get it out if you ever need to and tinny transoms don't need to be bonded like a fiberglass transom does.

Just use the 5200 to seal the penetrations for motor mounting bolts and screws and such.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Well that's 2 nays... anybody for a yah?

SierraMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys...I think that the transom I took out only had it on the seams where the splashwell meets the transom skin.

I do have a small tube of 3M 4000 sealant, I could use that on the seams and the 5200 for the through transom stuff.

thoughts?

-Mark