Marks 1991 16' Starcraft Fishmaster Restoration

SierraMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well I am starting my restoration earlier than anticipated due to the trim problems I had with my boat.

I figured if I'm not using it I might as well start restoring it while the weather is nice.

My plan is to remove everything, pull out the old decking and transom, epoxy new decking and transom, cover the new decking with nautolex and put it all back together....at least thats the plan. I am hoping the foam is ok but if I have to pull it out then I will.

So, my first of many question is that I have 2 storage bins, one on each side of the boat. These bins are connected to the side of the boat with something that I imagine is some kind of rivet but it's not the regular kind of rivets that I have seen before.

I have included a picture with the questionable piece circled.

If I cut these off would I replace them with regular rivets later or would I need to use the same kind? If I use the same kind how do they go on?

Thanks in advance.
-Mark

maybe rivets.jpg

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Marks 1991 16' Starcraft Fishmaster Restoration

Hey Mark, was wondering when you were going to start your project.

Those look like they may be closed end blind rivets and even if they aren't that's what you can use to replace them with. What does the other side of the rivet look like? If they have a small hole in the center on the other side then they're closed end blind rivets.

Here's a short vid on installing them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0MA1-5NXjs&feature=related

... and here's where you can buy them and a setting tool:
http://www.rivetsonline.com/rivets-en/blind-rivets-en/closed-end-blind-rivets.html

These rivets will come in real handy if you have any leaking rivets on your boat, or if you just need to fill a hole.

SierraMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks jigngrub,

I will get a picture of the other side of the rivet today. The ones I am talking about are all through the hull above the water line but the part on the outside of the boat is currently covered by a graphic strip.

You bring up another good point that I was going to ask a little further down the road but I'll ask now.

The boat does not leak at all. I have used it a few times over the summer and never had any water in the bilge. I even left it on the water for a week over vacation and still never had any water in the bilge.

Since I have it apart anyway would you use gluvit or should I not bother because I don't have any leaks?

My hope, and this may not be the case, is that I will not need to pull out my foam so I am really hoping to just tear out the old decking and put in the new decking.

Thanks,
Mark

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

If your boat doesn't leak, and your foam is dry skip the gluvit and just do the deck. Lots of time and money will be saved.

SierraMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

okay, it's been a while but I have been busy.

I built a motor stand using plans that I found on this site and I've gotten everything out of the boat except the decking.

I got the transom out today, not as hard nor as bad as I thought but the wood was quite wet and untreated but not rotted. I had thought about drying it out and epoxying it but I think it is probably better to just build a new one.

I figured I would leave the decking in until I get done stripping the carpet glue off the sides of the boat.

I will be ordering my epoxy and Nautolex probably tomorrow after searching the forums to figure out how much epoxy I need.

Here are a couple pics of my progress.

everything out (768x1024).jpgmotor on stand (768x1024).jpgtransom (1024x768).jpgtop of transom (1024x768).jpg

-Mark

SierraMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm ordering my epoxy and I have a question for those who have done this.

I'm ordering from US Composites. I believe I should be getting the 635 thin epoxy system with a 3:1 ratio medium hardener, correct?

According to the US Composites FAQ, 1 gallon will cover about 250 SQ FT. I calculate that I need about 190 SQ FT (that covers both sides). I believe I want to put 2 coats, correct? I know that the second coat will use less so do you think that 1 gallon and 1 quart with be enough?

Thanks,
Mark

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yup, you got it! Be sure to get the pumps, they will make your life a lot easier!

I personally like 3 or more coats, double on the edges.

I can't help ya with coverage. I always buy more than I need and then seem to pick up another boat to rebuild for justification:rolleyes: Don't want to waste that epoxy right?:D

SierraMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Jas, I have been following your build for a long time now...you do great work!

I guess I will get the 2 gallons, I'm just read that it has a shelf life of about a year so I'm sure I will find other places to use it.

Thanks,
Mark

SierraMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not much to show but I have been making progress.

I got my epoxy ordered and it is scheduled to be delivered on Friday.

I also happen to have Friday off of work and I found a Home Depot not too far from my house that has Arauco in stock for about 31.00 a sheet. Can someone please verify that This is the right stuff before I go pick it up?

I got all the decking disconnected by drilling out the rivets.

What I found under the decking was maybe both good and bad or maybe all good...I need opinions.

The foam that is in there is the original factory expandable foam. As a matter of fact because it was stuck in places to the decking I would think it might have been the original decking still in the boat....if thats the case I think the boat was well taken care of since the decking wasn't all that bad.

So the foam that is under the aft most section, near the bilge, was wet to the touch. The rest of the foam was bone dry.

I am wondering if the wet foam is just wet from rain versus saturated all the way through?

So my questions are:
1. How do I know if the foam is no good?
2. If I need to replace it can I just replace the wet sections and leave the rest as is?

Thanks,
Mark

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

3/4" Arauco for $31? That seems like a great deal to me.

Is your foam dry all the way to the bottom all the way around?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Core sample your foam or just dig down to the bottom to see if it is wet. Foam can feel dry on top and still be saturated on the bottom.

Yes, you can replace the wet foam and keep the dry.

That plywood has the exterior grade glue so it is ok to use.

SierraMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Whats the best way to get a core sample, gently drill down or just stick a screw driver in it?

I will check tomorrow but when I looked tonight the dry pieces were very dry and I could see the bottom edges and all around it and it was dry too but I will double check it tomorrow and I'll get some pics too.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

A piece of 1/2 or 3/4" aluminum or PVC (cut notches/teeth in the end of the PVC) push down and twist the pipe to penetrate the foam down to the bottom (test in the thickest part of the foam), pull the pipe out and use something to push your core sample out of the pipe. Take several samples from different areas and check each one before taking another sample.

SierraMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I forgot to get pics of the foam. I will definately work on the foam this weekend. Pics and core sample.

I have been working on getting the carpet glue off the sides of the hull to prepare for Nautolex. I got most of it off with stripper that I found at Walmart, this stuff works great. I brushed it on, let it sit for 15 minutes and it took most of the glue off. I am now in the process of going over the aluminum with a wire wheel to scuff it up to give the Nautolex glue something to grab on to. I was pretty amazed at how easily the 21 year old carpet came off the aluminum pieces.

So my plan for tomorrow is to pick up my Arauco and cut the decking and the transom. My epoxy is scheduled for delivery tomorrow so I should be able to start that process this weekend too.

I have a question on the decking and the epoxy. Lets say I put 2 or 3 coats of epoxy on the wood. What should I plan for thickness? The decking I took out was 60 1/2" inches wide with no epoxy or anything wrapped around the edges. Do you think I should go 60" on my new decking to allow for the epoxy and Nautolex (which will be wrapped around both edges)?

Thanks,
Mark

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

If your original decking was tight, you can go with 60 1/4". The epoxy will go on very thin and 4 coats won't even be 1/16" thick. The Nautolex is 1/16" thick, even if you use a lot of epoxy and glue you'll be lucky to build up 1/8" on each side.

Cut and dry fit everything before epoxying and vinyling and you'll be good to go.

Sarge77

Recruit

Mark, please keep us informed on your progress. I an very interested because I am getting ready to do the same with my 87' Starcraft Mariner.

SierraMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, I did some more stipping...lol....no comments needed on that one.

I also took core samples of my foam. As expected the foam in the mid section of the boat is dry all the way through. The foam in the back is wet on top and it seems to be dry on the bottom. I am gpomg tp ;eave it uncovered tomorrow, the weather is supposed to be nice. I will take another sample tomorrow night.

I started figuring out where my seats are going to go and I have a question. One of the seats is going to be directly over a piece of foam. I marked the location with a roll of masking tape in the picture. Springfield sells a cup that mounts to the bottom of the base and it has a hose to route the water. I have attached a picture of this. Do you think I should get this and run the hose under the foam so that it drains into the middle of the boat?

Thanks,
Mark

no decking from bow.jpgno decking from stern.jpgseat location on foam.jpgP_3300767-320x320.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

If it were me, I'd at least add noodles and/or foam board all down the center of that hull for additional displacement. What's in there now really isn't all that much.

SierraMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If it were me, I'd at least add noodles and/or foam board all down the center of that hull for additional displacement. What's in there now really isn't all that much.

You know it's funny, my girlfriend said the same thing. She said all those pics you show me on iBoats they have a lot more foam. I said well, it's been fine for 21 years like this so it must be okay....guess I should start listening to her more :D

Thanks Jas, I will add some foam.

-Mark

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Don't tell her she was right! You'll be done for!!