Look out Mr and Ms Ladyfish

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Look out Mr and Ms Ladyfish

Looks like maybe Houston and Galveston missed a bullet this time.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

We'll we made it back here to Baytown.<br /><br />Watching the news this morning we saw Baytown, was pretty much OK. SO we jumped in the car, and beat all the traffic.<br /><br />There are still some strong gusts, thats about it.<br /><br />The house is fine, no problems, just a bunch of limbs down.<br /><br />Hope everyone else is fine.<br /><br />Ken

JB

My spy network tells me that LF and Mr. LF made it out okay. Don't know exactly where they are, but they are tenting it.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I am sure they are fine too, and their house should be fine too.<br /><br />Ken

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Great news Ken, glad to hear it. I hope the Fishes and Kelton will post the same kind of good news. ;)

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Glad you're home, KIZ... (bet you are too) :) <br /><br />Hope everyone else did ok too...<br /><br />JB's spy network..!? :eek: :D

LadyFish

Admiral

We're back, safe and sound.<br /><br />Thank y'all so much for all your well wishes and concern. We are emotionally drained over this whole ordeal.<br /><br />We just got our electric and water back on last night. We returned home on Sunday. The house didn't suffer any damage but Jamaica Beach is a real mess with limbs and palm frawns everywhere.<br /><br />We still have to finish unpacking. Mr. LF went back to work today and I'm babysitting our friends 6 year old since she works at the local hospital and school dosen't open back up until Thursday.<br /><br />After a week in 100+ degree weather sleeping in a tent, worrying whether or not we'd have a home to come back to, I feel VERY fortunate today.<br /><br />Thanks again for all your concern. We dodged a huge bullet. Somebody up there was lookin out for us. :)

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Thats really good to hear LF, glad yall made it OK.<br /><br />Ken

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by LadyFish:<br /> We're back, safe and sound.
Great to hear LF. We all have been sittin on the edge of our seats waiting to hear this good news. I cannot even imagine the stress that events like this cause.

LadyFish

Admiral

Thanks Ken and Boomyal.<br /><br />We stayed in a tent up on a lake about 100 inland. Sitting up there in the woods with only a radio to tune in and find out if we would have a home to come back to was emotionally draining. This was the first time we had to evacuate. We left last Wednesday morning ahead of the traffic. We were in two separate vehicles. <br /><br />Not only did it take two days to prepare for the storm at home, boarding up windows and moving everything of value to the upper level of the house, I had to pack for camping.<br /><br />We had some 40-65 mph winds up where we were staying under a canopy of trees so I never slept very well the entire time. Not to mention how incredibly hot it was. Our daughter and her family and my sister also had to evacuate. We were pretty much spread out all over Texas and celluar service was very unreliable.<br /><br />The place we camped at was a natural wildlife preserve. It was really interesting to watch the deer, possum, racoon, rabbits, skunks, and armadillos reaction to a change in weather.<br /><br />We ran out of ice the third day and were in fear of losing what little food we had. Mr. LF went to the store to buy ice and of course there was none. A lady asked if we were evacuees and said, I don't have any ice, but I have a frozen milk jug of water in my freezer, you can follow me back home and you're welcome to it. When he asked her what he owed her, she said nothing, glad to do it, just do something nice for somebody else. I know these storms can bring out the worst in people as the media would have your think sometimes, but it also brings out the best in people to.<br /><br />Oh yeah and, because we stayed at a Texas State Park, they waived the $23 a day camping fee for evacuees.<br /><br />The first few days before the storm and hearing that it was a category 5 with winds in excess of 175 mph gusting over 200, made us take a serious look at what was really important to us. The thought of losing our home and all the blood sweat and tears we've put into it over the past fourteen years was devestating but as long as we were all safe, I was happy.<br /><br />We really didn't know what we'd find when we returned. I was so glad that our damage was no more than waht a category one would produce and mostly just clean up. There are missing roof shingles and siding and some houses were hurt worse than others but its SOOOOO much better than the alternative.<br /><br />We unboarded all of our windows yesterday and I have a ton of unpacking to do. <br /><br />The stress of it all is truly draining. Our 7 year old grandson suffered so much anxiety, he has an eye twitch that is way out of control with his pupils rolling back into his head and the whole bit. My daughter is trying to find a doctor this morning. Businesses are not all back up and operating yet so she's having a hard time of it. He dosen't have to go back to school until Thursday, but he is very selfconscience about it.<br /><br />The next "Rita" I see better darn well have a "Marga" in front of it. :)

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Welcome back Mr & Ms LadyFish. <br />Glad to see that you and the rest of your family made it through safely :)

sangerwaker

Commander

Glad all's well for you. Take a five this evening and enjoy a "rita".

SpinnerBait_Nut

A big sigh of relief on this end you all to hear you are ok.<br />Welcome back.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Yes it is very stressful period, but we were lucky to find my aunts house had room. It was nice to be able to bring the dog along, but the cat had to stay behind. The cat sure was happy to see us pull into the driveway.<br /><br />The kids all handled it fine, didnt bother the 9 yr old much, as I continued to tell him, its just a house and we are all safe. The 3 yr old loved my aunts dogs, she didnt want to go home :) .<br /><br />This was the first hurricane for the wife and she was a bit worried, stayed up all night watching the TV. She learned a lot and we will be much better prepared for the next one.<br /><br />Pulling up in the driveway and seeing all was well was the greatest relief for all.<br /><br />Ken

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

:) Nice to see the Ladyfishes are back, and all in one piece!...<br /><br />LF... After two last year, I did'nt take all the boards off till about Thanksgiving... :D

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Glad to have ya back. Its great to see you post good news about the homested. ;)

Realgun

Commander

I have a stupid question. If you put plywood over the windows to protect them why do we always see people buying plywood and the stores running out every storm?<br /><br />Where does all the plywood go?<br /><br />I am so glad your family made it through this OK.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by Realgun:<br /> Where does all the plywood go?
After katrina blew thru here and I saw my house, I asked the same question. :eek:

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Storms are few and far between.<br /><br />We keep plywood around from the last storm, but then a new project always seems to use up the scraps of plywood.<br /><br />Its hard to just look at all the plywood sitting in the corner, and then tell yourself to run to Lowes to buy another 37 dollar sheet.<br /><br />Ken