Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

chevymaher

Commander
Well the oil catch can works. It caught oil. And it gave the boat 2 1/2 extra MPH.

I was riding after about 20 minutes the motor sound changed it started to sing along. I thought that is nice burning the crap off in the cylinders. I punched before I went back to the dock and got the number. I was very happy.

Who would ever have thought pouring raw oil and water in the engines throat would cause a build up in the combustion chamber and decreased performance from predetonation and general fouling.

Honda guys sure were on it in their forums.

Judging by the amount in the catch can it will need emptied every oil change. I will check it again in 50 hours tho.

chevymaher

Commander
Well nothing more exciting than today was . Yessirreebob. Tug went by at maximum plow 6 foot waves all the way to the bank. Looked like Haulover inlet. Wait it gets better.

Just hit a submerged 2x4 perfectly in the middle so it balances on the outdrive. Chutes out Batman 180 and we headed back to Gotham city. Send Alfred to pick up the parachute.

My son said we hit a plank. I idled back to find it. At idle you could barely see it. Submerged a 1/4 inch. waterlogged about to sink.

It was quite a day on the river. Had a good time. I don't think jumping out of a perfectly good airplane would have been more fun.

I was giggling for hours after we got back. My son wasn't as enthusiastic. I told him someone video us and put it on you tube. When he came in the room I played the star trek red alert sound,.

LOL these are the reasons the rot you may want to ignore needs to be fixed ROFL.

Came back laid under the boat no damage. Just some touch up on the outdrives paint. Missed the prop completely. Well it dont got a mark and don't vibrate.

The whale tail they say destroys outdrives saved the prop. It deflected it over it. She got some scuffs on top didn't used to be there. Anyway ran fine a 1/2 hour back in.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Tough good day day for boat handling and a Junior in command position!
Dlad damage was minimal but a all everyone experience for sure.

chevymaher

Commander
I was getting a new carberator because it seemed to have as much power at half throttle as full. Its top speed was all over the place depending on the day.

Well today was a very happy day indeed. The carb on it was smaller. I measured the butterflys and old carb was .42 inch each. New carb was .7 inch each. That is a 66% increase in carb size.

The full throttle issue seems to be the carb was loose on the intake. Full throttle was actually pulling the carb away from the intake.

So it fired right up with the new carb and idled. Nice deeper tone. I got the idle set where it should be. Now wait for a clear day to splash and test.

I am very optimistic. Vac leak fixed and twice the CFM it should go a couple MPH faster anyway LOL.

Attachments

• 20210818_103801.jpg
    20210818_103801.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 15
  • 20210818_112715.jpg
    20210818_112715.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 15

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I was getting a new carberator because it seemed to have as much power at half throttle as full. Its top speed was all over the place depending on the day.

Well today was a very happy day indeed. The carb on it was smaller. I measured the butterflys and old carb was .42 inch each. New carb was .7 inch each. That is a 66% increase in carb size.

The full throttle issue seems to be the carb was loose on the intake. Full throttle was actually pulling the carb away from the intake.

So it fired right up with the new carb and idled. Nice deeper tone. I got the idle set where it should be. Now wait for a clear day to splash and test.

I am very optimistic. Vac leak fixed and twice the CFM it should go a couple MPH faster anyway LOL.
Awesome!

chevymaher

Commander
Well I winterized it has been a good summer. But the restoration continues. I know it is a horrible picture. My factory tach never worked. I found this set of gauges and got them. They are rare and it is just good to have spares of the rest. But the tach does work and will but put in the boat in the spring.
agauges.jpg

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Well I winterized it has been a good summer. But the restoration continues. I know it is a horrible picture. My factory tach never worked. I found this set of gauges and got them. They are rare and it is just good to have spares of the rest. But the tach does work and will but put in the boat in the spring.
View attachment 352284
Looks like you have @zool old camera. :}

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
It is getting closer to boat time. The dash I showed that I bought. I put the tach and temp gauges in the boat. Hit the key tach went to zero. So it is fixed.
Looking forward to reading about your continued adventures. And you owe us a less fuzzy pic of those gauges :)

chevymaher

Commander
Looking forward to reading about your continued adventures. And you owe us a less fuzzy pic of those gauges :)
LOL Okay I get a couple pics today after I get back from my errands. Now that the boat is straightened out it is a really good reliable boat. In the summer my son and I go about 30 miles. Every 3-4 days we go out. Try to make it on weekdays so we miss the Broncos Guru crowd.

I got that old chev running now. Wife ask me which one i was more excited to use. I said boat of course.

My son is old enough and I got him his licence. So I like to sit in the bow section and let him drive. Eat my chips drink my soda and watch the water. It is so peaceful in front of the windshield.

I already put gas and battery in the tractor. Started it and let it run and warm up. It is almost time to back the boat up wax it do the interior and fire her up. Get her ready for summer. I did it first of april last year.

River is still up not flooded anymore. It isn't like when I first got it not rushing. Let the logs and garbage from the flood wash downstream.

We expect alot of anchoring and fishing this year. LOL my wife wants to go out this year finally. Seems me and the boy came back alive enough she is getting the urge. She wants to anchor and have a picnic.

I am getting a load of rock for the boathouse soon as the ground hardens up. So mu buddies dumptruck dont make ruts getting around the corner of the house.

Anywho I am still here everyday reading about the new boats being fixed. Just not posting alot since mine is basically done. Well they never done as the new gauges show. But you get the drift of what I am saying.

My family are going on vacation this summer to florida. We going to go to mickey's and meet his family. See the legendary Monsheka his boat.

chevymaher

Commander
Okay still not real sharp but this is the dashboard I bought. I already switched the tach and temp gauge.

Here is the old car I was always talking about. this was during the 1/2 hour idling to break in the rings before the first oil change. I am still adjusting things and chasing gremlins on it. It is getting real close to insurance and tags.

Attachments

• 20220318_180552.jpg
    20220318_180552.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 20220318_180536.jpg
    20220318_180536.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 10