John Kerry the deer hunter...

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: John Kerry the deer hunter...

Yeah, there are "shotgun only" towns up here. Thing is, most areas that are shotgun only people use a slug. His "Trusty 12-gauge double barrel" is not a slug gun, and I would wager that it has never had a slug in it.

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Oh well, what can you expect from a Massachusetts Man whose favorite Red Sox player is "Manny Ortiz."

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by jinx:<br /> Oh well, what can you expect from a Massachusetts Man whose favorite Red Sox player is "Manny Ortiz."
:mad: :mad: :mad: <br /><br />Here's a photo of "Mr. Gun Safety", notice the finger on the trigger :rolleyes: <br />
aal.jpg

thedude7803

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have never heard of shooting slugs through a double barrel, although it is possible with an improved cylinder choke, not that JFK would have any clue what that is. I'm sure he just takes his k-bar out from his teeth when he gets behind the deer and one quiet slit and its all over. <br /><br />OB, you would be surprised. I hunt shotgun only zone in Wisconsin and the way my shotgun is set up I can throw and ounce of lead out past 100 yds with good accuracy. A properly set-up and sighted in shotgun will do just as much damage as any rifle (in fact more at short distances because of the energy exerted). The only difference is the rifle gives you more range.

Carphunter

Commander

Indiana is a shotgun only state for Deer. Don't be so quick to put the 'ol shotgun down. <br />I personally shoot a Mossberg 835 Ulti-mag. With my rifled slug barrel with 2-7 Simmonds scope, and shooting the Remington copper sabots, I would not be afraid to shoot a deer at 150 yards, if I had the proper rest, and conditions were right. <br />I would take 100 yard shots all day long, and the final results would be the same as any rifle, .......the deer would be dead.<br /><br />Shotguns today are much more accurate then the old smooth bored guns I used to use.<br /><br />I do not know of anyone that has used a double barrel shotgun with slugs for deer. Seems odd to me. Of course, we can't use buckshot in Indiana either, so maybe that might work from this particular gun.<br /><br />GG, that picture of Kerry is priceless. :D <br />I wonder if this is how he ran around in Vietnam. No telling how many of his own guys he shot. :rolleyes:

gaugeguy

Captain

Or is this his Trusty 12-gauge...nice form Knob...<br /><br />He's for us hunters, but he is endorsed by PETA, the Humane Society, and the Sierra Club :confused: <br /><br />
KerryShooting.jpg

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

Actually I followed this story here in WI. Kerry refered to using "pellets" in his gun.<br /><br />As I understand it, the state he hunts in allows use of 00 buckshot. That explanes OU scattergun.<br /><br />Think he "field dresses" his buck in a tutu? Then "mounts" his trophy

ratracer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by 1994lundminnow:<br /> Am I the only one who would use a rifle to pursue a deer, and a shotgun to pursue a bird? <br /><br />What the hell is he doing with a shotgun pursuing deer? :confused: <br />
Massachusetts only allows shotguns for deer and bear hunting, except if you have a valid handgun permit you can hunt black bear with a handgun chambered in .357 Magnum.

gaugeguy

Captain

Hey Rat, can they use 00 Buck in Mass? Ever try to get a permit to carry in Mass? Be easier to walk on water :mad:

Carphunter

Commander

Ok the-dude, thats scary, you and I seem to think alike. :p <br />I didn't see your post til after I posted.<br /><br />Great minds think alike, right? :D

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

FWIW: Virginia is shotgun only roughly East of I-95 or in urban counties. <br /><br />Jinx

thedude7803

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You bet Carphunter!<br /><br />I hunt with a Remington 1100, fully rifled cantilever slug barrel, and a Leupold VX-II 2-7 X 33 perched on top. I can make them deer pay with the best of them.<br /><br />The Dude

thedude7803

Petty Officer 3rd Class

PJC,<br /><br />I thought Kerry was talking about hunting in Wisconsin? As you know, buckshot is not legal here!

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

yea dude, the pols make their stories sound as if they had taken place where ever they are speaking. <br /><br />There was an article I read in the Milw. Urinal about the hunting deal and some relative of Kerrys related that Kerry did indeed deer hunt and the pellet reference was to the buckshot used out east due to heavy cover where they hunt.<br /><br />Are you in an earn a buck zone this year? I'm in unit 25 and this year is a damn T zone for me. Thank God not an earn a buck.......these regs here are getting very complex!!!!!!!!

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by gaugeguy:<br /> Or is this his Trusty 12-gauge...nice form Knob...<br /><br />He's for us hunters, but he is endorsed by PETA, the Humane Society, and the Sierra Club :confused:
He was against hunting before he was for it, Gaugeguy. :)

thedude7803

Petty Officer 3rd Class

PJC,<br /><br />Yeah, I'm in EAB this year and not happy about it. I hunt in 63b, I believe (maybe 63a?). I would have to look at the map. Good luck and shoot straight.

Well I'll be damn.<br /><br />Looks I stand corrected.<br /><br />Here in Washington, Idaho, and Montana where I have hunted you'd get ridiculed to the day you died by your mates if you showed up at a deer camp with a 12 gauge. <br /><br />My arsenal is simple:<br />Remmington 870 Express Magnum for birds<br />300 Weatherby Magnum for anything bigger than a rabbit. :) - makes damn quick work of a coyote, and you sure as hell wont have to chase that deer far. :D

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Jeeez!! Poor little Bambi won't have a head left :) <br />Weatherby mag??? You could bring down a pachyderm with that puppy!

PW2

Commander

There are plenty of areas in Washington State that are shotgun only. There are several in Island county near where you are in Everett.