John Kerry the deer hunter...

Re: John Kerry the deer hunter...

More like Poor Bambi running off with a wound from a shotgun at 100 yards. I like to pursue my game, fire, gather and go back to camp, not chase a wounded animal across 3 counties. Nothing I hate worse than seeing an animal die a slow painful death. Makes me wish I hadn't pulled the trigger in the first place. I like to think that my method is as humane as you can get. Game is dead before it hits the ground.<br /><br />Come revolution time this farm boy wont go down like a Palestinian... throwing rocks at a tank.

Right, maybe me and the boys have been reading that wrong, but we interpret "Shotgun and Bow Hunting Only" as saying: "Bow hunting for deer/coyote, etc... Shotgun hunting for birds, rabbits, etc." Not that you can use a shotgun on big game.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

smoke poles killed lots of game in its day. still does. round ball or conical can be compared to slug (punkin ball, foster type)ballistics. get close to your game, put the bullet in the vitals, dead deer. <br /><br />a poorly placed shot from whatever flavor of the month wonder cartridge equals potential lost game.<br /><br />sorry for going off topic.

aspeck

Staff member

Hey guys, guess what? No joke, but my very first deer, when I was 12 years old, was a 9 point shot with a Stevens Side-by-side 20 guage with slugs! Of course we are talking a little different grade of gun than JFK was toten' and I wouldn't use that set up now that I have other guns I can use, but that old early 70's production side-by-side did the job that year.<br /><br />And I was in a tree stand, not crawling around on my stomach, and I wasn't playing with wind or decoys ...

Carphunter

Commander

Well, let me tell ya lundminnow, I been deerhuntin in Indiana for 25 years, and during that time I have shot too many deer to count with my shotgun. I have never had to track one very far. ......and guess what, us hunters don't make the laws. We cannot use high powered rifles here in Indiana because there are too many houses, and the terrain is too flat, and basically, the law forbids it.<br /><br />Now, to sit there and launch personal attacks at fellow hunters just ain't right.<br /><br />If you want to use a weapon that can kill an animal at 500 yards, then more power to ya, personally, I like more of a challenge.<br /><br />Is that really huntin, or shootin anyway?<br /><br />I guess you think bowhuntin is not ethical too. :rolleyes: <br /><br />Hunters need to stick together, regardless of what methods are used. Even though I personally don't think its too sporting to shoot deer at 400 yards, I would sure fight for your right to do so.

one more cast

Captain

Here in upstate NY we have bowhunting season, muzzle loading season, regular season (rifle,bow,smokestick,shotgun,or handgun can be used)and most of the southern part of the state is bow or shotgun only. Any of the above weapons are capable of making a claen kill and each is capable of wounding an animal through human error.

thedude7803

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Let's say you hunt deer with a .30-06. With a 180 grain bullet, your muzzle velocity would be 2600 ft/sec with muzzle energy of 2701 ft/lbs. The best info. I can come up with on a 12 guage 1 oz. sabot slug says muzzle velocity of 1400 fps and muzzle energy of 2957 ft/lbs. Although I am aware that many bullets now expand on contact, the 1 oz. of lead from the slug expands greatly at contact, thus expelling most of its kinetic energy into the target. The .30-06 with the higher velocity typically takes some of its kinetic energy with it as it passes through the target. At 100 yards, a typical 12 guage shotgun with a fully rifled barrel can hold a 2" or less group. <br /><br />All this crap equates to... the shotgun is a very effective at killing large game. A responsible sportsman that sights in his gun yearly and knows it limits wounds no more animals than a rifle hunter.<br /><br />Basically, I agree with what Carphunter and One More Cast said!

thedude7803

Petty Officer 3rd Class

oh yeah, and to stay on topic, I would like to thank gaugeguy for making me laugh all weekend. I kept thinking of that picture of JFK he posted and three little words..."Nice form Knob."<br /><br />Absolutely hilarious!!

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

For gods sake he didn't get that playing flag football and he didn't get it here in Wisconsin. <br /><br />What they are saying is a LIE. A calculated LIE. If you can't trust him to even this limited extent not to LIE, whats to stop him for telling LIES, when things get rough. His campaign is telling LIES. They are forced to LIE to cover the LIE told by LIARS.<br /><br />Ya'll catchin a trend here? :mad:

NOSLEEP

Commander

Which is more important "honesty or loyalty". :rolleyes:

thedude7803

Petty Officer 3rd Class

NOSLEEP--<br /><br />You can't have one without the other.

thedude7803

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Do I work for Bill Clinton now?? I just noticed I am a "Seaman Apprentice."<br /><br />Yikes!!

NOSLEEP

Commander

You can have loyalty without honesty.<br />But I would think if you had honesty you would<br />also have loyalty.<br /><br />Hells Angels have loyalty , but miss the mark<br />on the honesty thing.

Carphunter, One More Cast, the_dude, and others...<br /><br />Look, I was never intending to imply that the way you guys hunt is unethical, and I was definately not meaning to sound like I was attacking anyone... ok, maybe JFK, but noone on this board. <br /><br />I was only pointing out that in my (apparently limited) hunting experience, my friends and I have never even thought of using a shotgun for big game. As soon as you guys pointed out that this is actually common practice in many areas I quickly "stood corrected."<br /><br />Sorry that I offended a few of you, I learned something new on this thread, and the way I look at it is that I now own a gun that is far more versatile than I originally thought.

NOSLEEP

Commander

There are areas outside the city here were deer<br />may be harvested only with shot gun or bow.

thedude7803

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you are not honest, you are not being loyal to God, yourself, or your fellow man. So even if you don't believe in God, I still contend that you can't have one without the other.

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Virginia, Maryland, and a few other states have a special "urban deer" season in place. It's only about 2 weeks long, in a few select counties, and with special permit. You MUST use a compound bow and the distance must not be greater than 50 yards.<br /><br />I have a "one of each" philosophy:<br />* Remington 870 Express 12GA shotgun<br />* PSE Edge Series 1000C compound bow<br />* Marlin AS30 30-30 rifle<br />* ...and my boyhood Marlin model 60 .22 ;) <br /><br />Butch A.

Carphunter

Commander

Lundminnow, I for one, appreciate your reply, and let me tell ya, like always, I have obviously overreacted.<br /><br />Growing up in Indiana, we had no choice but to use a shotgun. The old smooth bore guns that I used to use were severely inaccurate by todays standards. Like Aspeck, I used a 20 gauge shotgun for years, and I shot many deer with this gun, but anything over 50 yards was off limits.<br />Now the shotgun I use today, with its rifling, canteliver(sp) scope mount, and copper sabots, is very accurate out to 125 yards. (I know, its still no match for your high powered rifles, but it is a drastic improvement over shotguns of the past).<br /><br />Anyway, thanks for your response, and happy hunting! :)